beach camoer design input needed.........

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby madjack » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:26 am

BC, I would just use the "Generic Benroy Plans" in the index at the top of this page as a guide for your build...just strech 'em a bit :D ...build the trailer frame outta 2x1/8th steel tube and a massively huge tongue and you should be good to go...also, checkout "sonnetpros" 12' long beach camper......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: beach camoer design input needed.........

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:22 am

beachcamper wrote:Here is the plan a 12' long 6'tall and 7' wide trailer (actually have a Dexter 3500lb 83" wide axle to use). It will be pulled by a 4x4 Suburban down Padre Island National Seashore, which can range from rough terrian to highway like. How would you frame the camper? Like the TD's, 2x2's,2x4's, or steel square tubing? I am a better welder than carpenter. But would like to keep the weight down if possible. Picture a TD screened in shelter on wheels with lift up windows, thats my idea. This area has no electricity available. Its a boondocker's paradise.
thx for your time
BTW, this is not to be a teardrop trailer, more of a squared off trailer.

Would this be a good candidate for steel building studs they are light and strong when diagionally braced properly. Haven't seen anyone on the forum mention trying them. Since you are more metal oriented it might be a real good experiment !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: beach camoer design input needed.........

Postby Joanne » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:25 pm

Hey Beach!

I like welding so I'd go with 3/4 square x .065 wall (my favorite material). If you need a bit more strength in some areas, use the 3/4 x 1 1/2 so you can have a consistent wall thickness. I think with a little care not to overbuild, you could get a framework that didn't weigh a ton.

I used steel tubing for my fender mounts, tail light mounts, and antenna mount.

Joanne

beachcamper wrote:Here is the plan a 12' long 6'tall and 7' wide trailer (actually have a Dexter 3500lb 83" wide axle to use). It will be pulled by a 4x4 Suburban down Padre Island National Seashore, which can range from rough terrian to highway like. How would you frame the camper? Like the TD's, 2x2's,2x4's, or steel square tubing? I am a better welder than carpenter. But would like to keep the weight down if possible. Picture a TD screened in shelter on wheels with lift up windows, thats my idea. This area has no electricity available. Its a boondocker's paradise.
thx for your time
BTW, this is not to be a teardrop trailer, more of a squared off trailer.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Joanne » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:24 pm

Hey Beach,

For the trailer frame I used my little Lincoln mig welder turned alllll the way up. I used gas on the tubular pieces. A friend of mine purchased a TIG welder the winter and I'm hoping he'll let me try it!

Joanne

beachcamper wrote:Joanne what kind of welder are you using? At home I just have a Lincoln cracker box.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:47 am

If you're always going to have a hulking tow vehicle and possibly try to pull the trailer through soft sand or mud it might be a good idea to make the trailer chassis extra strong- maybe 2x3 or 2x4 tubing for the main frame rails and A-frame.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby poolking » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:40 am

Hey beachcamper,

I have been looking for the same type of trailer as you are and for the same reason. Love PINS and SPI.

I had contacted Andrew with a design idea. He came up with a Gridget. If you look at the design ligrary and look at the Widget TTT. He boxed the design like a Sunspot. I like it because I can us my camping cook stove, water jugs, ice chest and potty.

If check my album the 1st picture is what he sent me.

poolking
poolking
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:50 pm

Where's the Gridget? I wanna see it... :D :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets