Help with materials and estimations

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Help with materials and estimations

Postby Section 8 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:56 pm

I am building a trailer for my Jeep. It will not be a teardrop, but more of a pick-up bed cargo trailer. It will be primairly for sleeping in, and will be replacing just a tent on the ground. I will leave some gear in the trailer so I don't have to move it arround every time I want to go somewhere but it is not going to be a cargo trailer for everything, as what I use fits in the jeep. I will put a set of cross bars on the roof and carry a pair of bikes or kayaks once in a while though.

The top will be in two pieces, and will be removed and slid under the "bed" that will be built on the fenderwells when removed. I will be using a pick up bed tent for a low center of gravity and shelter tent here, and putting a "tailgate" in the front or back of the trailer to have a step into as well as being able to sit on the edge of the bed while dressing and stand up, as the entire box will be covered by a false floor with a matress on it (68"/58").

If you imagine a pick-up box with a plywood floor across the tops of the fenders with fiberglass tanneau cover on it, with a Yakima rack, you will have the basic idea.

The primary considerations is that it is sleepable, and that I can remove the tongue completely to stand the trailer on its rear bumper against a wall and still park the Jeep in the parking space (if it doesn't hit the ceiling, it will all easily fit).

The box will 70"x60" on the outside, and 24 inches tall plus what ever the top adds. I will be using identical wheels/tires as on the jeep, ~31"x10" , and matching the track, which comes out to a Torflex axle width of 60 inches WMS to WMS.

I am anticipating using .09" wall 2" square tube for the floor, but also read one of the members used 2.5 x 1.5 .083 wall tube for the frame with 1.5" square .065 wall tube for cross members.

I have been reading about people over rating-rating their axle requirements for offroad duty which I will probably do. The problem is that I don't have any idea what this thing will weight when it is completed. Do you think that it will weight about 600 pounds? I realize that you have to add EVERYTHING that you put in it, but I can easily figure that out, waht I can't do is guess the weight of the completed trailer ready to be finished.

I will weight my camping box, but I suspect that it is less than 100 pounds, the truck tent when it arrives and the screen tent that I use along with a few a few chairs, and pillows and sleeping bags/blankets. I will put some LED lighting in it with a battery (I will be using a 7-pin connector, but havent decided on weather or not to use brakes yet, leaning heavily towards no, but I don't know what this will weigh, so I am not positive) and of course the wiring and lights for the trailer. Food box, cooler and water will be carried in the jeep along with all the cloths (all the stuff that goes in and out of the house will be packed in the jeep)

This will be my first trailer, and I know what I want, but don't know what I am doing! :lol: If I can get some help on the frame and wall materials, with a estimate on weight, or a direction to go to get closer to figuering these things out, I would be very appreciative. If all goes well, I hope to build a flippy-flop transforming tent condominum simular to several Australian manufactures, but with the limited space that I have, I will keep it simple the first itme around.

Thanks.
Section 8
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:36 pm

Get your calculator out !

spruce pine fir soft woods 2.4 # per board foot
20 pcs 2x4x8'= 20*2*4*8/12 or 106 bd ft *2.4 lbs = 254#

ply wood 1/8" x 4 x8 = 11 lbs
so 6/8 ply (3/4")would weigh #66

add 10 to 12# for fastners and hardware

so draw up your design and figure the bd ft of lumber and the sq ft of flat stock and your frame weight and you should be a hand grenades throw away !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby highlandercj-7 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:02 am

Sugestion, Use a Comanchee bed with a aluminum or fiberglass camper shell on it. If you get a long bed it will give you plenty of room. Plus it will look cool behind the jeep, alot of XJ owners do this. Something I do too is use the same rear axle as your jeep so if you berak it out in the rough there is spare parts to get your rig home. I have seen decent beds and shells in a local u pull it yard for 200.00 for the pair.
highlandercj-7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jagular7 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:38 am

For the axle, if you go with an ordered trailer axle, get the parking brake feature. This will eliminate the necessity for tire chucks.

Your idea sounds like a plan, but figure most to all full size pickup beds have a lot of unused 'space' under the sheetmetal to the frame. The bed is high in reference to the side walls due to the frame, suspension, and running gear underneath the truck. All this is not necessary for your application. I know you want it to 'look' together with your Jeep, so you may have to do some sheetmetal work with custom framing to make it look attractive on the outside and to perform on the inside.

If you take the suggestion on the Commanche bed, or any other truck bed, you should remove the inner wall and floor. Start with the outer sheetmetal, work it with your configured frame, then go from there.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets