What makes an “off road” TT

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

What makes an “off road” TT

Postby MSG Hall » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 am

Is it just the height of the wheels, the clearance or do you guys build them beefier? It seems to me you would want them both as strong and inflexible, but also as light as possible.

I have a Ram 1500, no lift and when I make mine I want the same size wheels (same rim actually) and the same height on the trailer as the truck so its level as it’s being pulled.

Any thoughts? And pictures of big wheeled tall TDs? I haven’t found very many. Thanks guys.
{its Bruce to my friends}

camping and hunting knives custom made by a good friend of mine... www.sharpeknives.com/
MSG Hall
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:28 am

..alotta folks runnig off road, use a 3500# axle with 2000# springs and probably way too much frame...many also use 31" tires to give better clearance...if truly pulling off road, a Hiem joint for a hitch/coupler would be desired, brakes, so it doesn't push you down hill and depending upon areas visited, steel fenders with w/running boards/rock/tree deflectors.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve F » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:56 am

The things that I've added to mine are longer leaf springs, 45mm thick axle, a little more frame, 31" tyres, an ORAC hitch (pictured) and plastic TJ Wrangler flares. My walls etc are no different to any other build. One thing I think that is important is a track width the same or very close to the tow vehicle, I've also done this and have had to build over the wheels because of it.

Oh, and I built on top of the frame so if it should come down on anything the first thing to hit the ground is steel frame and not the bottom of a wooden wall.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby fornesto » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:10 pm

You'd also want to be very weary of your rear overhang - bob the tail. This is an issue with many off-road vehicles and would be magnified in a trailer, I'd presume.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby jeep_bluetj » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:10 pm

fornesto wrote:You'd also want to be very weary of your rear overhang - bob the tail. This is an issue with many off-road vehicles and would be magnified in a trailer, I'd presume.

Bigtime. I've dragged the tail of mine alot, and it's only 6' long. On 31's too. Short is better for approach and departure angles. Thats why so many of the expedition style trailers are so short.

Clearance, frame strength. Overspec the axle (3500 lb axle on softer springs). Brakes are good with my TV, a longer wheelbase vehicle would reduce the need for brakes somewhat.

For me, I also made sure that everything that would hit was metal. I hit lots of the bottom side on rocks, so thats where the beefy frame comes in. If there was a wooden overhang (like a 5' trailer on a 4' frame), it would be destroyed pretty quickly.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm

The only difference between an on-road only and an offroad TD is... The want, desire and guts to take it offroad! Anyone that offroads knows that no matter how butch you build something, it can be broken when offroading.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Actualy I use mine offroad. I will take it on mild trails. It is overbuilt. I have:
full steel frame
3500# axle
brakes
body above the frame, only steel will drag
body has more bracing/ribs

On the downside, I have:
205/70R15 tires
spare tire under the belly
standard trailer hitch

The other thing to think about is making sure that everything is tied down well so it isn't slaming around inside.

As there many different levels of offroad vehicles there different levels of offroad TDs. Do you want a TD that will go where a stock SUV can go or one that can go where a rock buggy can go or something inbetween?

I would suggest building the frame as if you are building a vehicle.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jagular7 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:14 pm

I'm on several forums that deal with wheeling and camping. Many ideas and builds have taken a lot of extremes in both categories.

For an 'offroad' camper, expedition appears to be the concept. A small balanced box based on the M416 military trailer and a roof top tent layout. A lot of Australian tent campers are this way with variations in a lot of areas. However, there have been a lot of Austrilian travel trailers that are considered 'outback' ready. Cost, weight, and overall size plays a big deal to a camping trailer, whether tent or travel, in the Australian market.

For the US, you come upon the variations also, like in this forum, with minimal mfr support. The market is just not big enough here. Definitions abound to what a style of camper one can be or is. By definition, offroad to many is a dirt road, whereas Jeepers consider offroad when you have to use 4-lo. Definitions...... :lol:
To design a lengthy camper to withstand the stresses of offroad, it would have to employ a wide base with minimal height to keep weight/COG low and spread out. Track width is best when you have something hanging off your back end.... :oops:
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:50 am

Here is an off-road trailer I built,

For off-road, I like the trailer to have the same wheel track as the tow vehicle, this becomes useful in rough terrain when wheel position is critical for making it thru an obstacle, the trailer should take the same path as the tow vehicle.

Match the trailer hubs and tires/wheels to the tow vehicle. This way you can use the same spare(s) on the trailer and tow rig.

Use a receive tube style trailer tongue. This way you can tow with a normal ball and couple on the road, then switch over to a three axis pivoting style one of off-road.

Also what everyone else has already said ...
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby igofshn » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:00 pm

My off road tear.

igofshn
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bayou Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 pm

igofshn wrote:My off road tear.

What size tires are you running on that teardrop?

I have an 07 unlimited as well and am planning my offroad teardrop. I'm thinking of going with either 235/85r16 or 30x9.5r15. The narrow tires have a lot less wind drag and require narrower wheels for a smaller fender on the trailer. At least that's what I'm thinking.
Bayou Boy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MSG Hall » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:27 am

i can't see any pictures in photobucket.... it's banned to me

camping and hunting knives custom made by a good friend of mine... www.sharpeknives.com/
MSG Hall
The 300 Club

Postby Bayou Boy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:19 am

SFC Hall wrote:i can't see any pictures in photobucket.... it's banned to me

Did you try cutting and pasting the addresses into your browser or is it a firewall thing?
Bayou Boy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MSG Hall » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:11 am

Bayou Boy wrote:
SFC Hall wrote:i can't see any pictures in photobucket.... it's banned to me

Did you try cutting and pasting the addresses into your browser or is it a firewall thing?

Oh, it's a firewall thing. all picture hosting sites and any pictures linked from them are filtered out. as a matter of fact, this site was band from me for a while, the Army classified it as a "blog type site" I was off for a month while I submitted paperwork to have this site unlocked. I didn't know if they would go for it, but they did and here I am... still can't see pictures though...

MSG Hall
The 300 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Schaney,

From the looks of your album, you've built a few off-road rigs. Do you like sleeping up in the air over your rig? Why not pitch a tent nearby?
Which one of your off-road rigs do you like the best?

They all look great!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets