My Offroad Design

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby fornesto » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 am

Part of the canvas idea was to create a cooler trailer to camp in - not to mention the weight up high. I'm sure you could do lightweight doors. In California, most off-road areas are either in the desert, the high sierra, or other hot places. It seemed a "pleasant" idea to have the opportunity for a cross breaze at night. Here's the idea.

I'll draw one up with hard sides and doors for comparison.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby MSG Hall » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:17 am

I just wasn't thinking.... I see canvas in trucks and trailers every single day.

I really like the trailer. I would need a door though, no was my wife would be willing to climb in and out... wait! that might be a good plan! (just kidding)
{its Bruce to my friends}

camping and hunting knives custom made by a good friend of mine... www.sharpeknives.com/
MSG Hall
The 300 Club

Postby fornesto » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:45 am

OK, OK, here's the door and some solid sides. It seems you could make modular sides (insulated even) that could be attached for colder weather or be left in the garage. The excitement with this model would be the ultimate strength vs. weight challenge - some classic geometric engineering. I like the curve up front just because it makes it more teardropish.

If you're interested in learning some modeling software, try Google's Sketchup. It is free to download and very easy to use. I never took a CAD class or had any CAD training, but have tought myself Sketchup in a matter of weeks. Its fun and easy and there are tutorials. A good diversion - not that you need one. Thanks for your service.

Sketchup Users can get this model by searching for "Off Road Teardrop Trailer" out of the model library.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby sseaman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:12 pm

i like the look both ways, i guess it depends on what YOU want since it will be your trailer, i tried sketchup for a while and man i have no cad skills
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jeep_bluetj » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:37 pm

I really like the look of this design.

If the frame was made out of round tube it'd really look cool. (Attaching the panels would be somewhat a challenge)
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:25 pm

SFC Hall wrote:Ok, I “really” like this trailer of yours…. But I don’t get the canvas. Are you saying the top portion will be open? Neat idea, but going down the highway, the wind will shred the canvas…. Wont it?

Real Jeeps (CJ/YJ/TJ/JK) have had fabric tops for a long time. Yes, wind-whipped fabric was one reason I instantly discarded the idea of buying one after a test drive, but it can work.

I think the design is interesting and innovative; it will be interesting to see where it goes.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tj0llll0 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:19 am

brian_bp wrote:Real Jeeps (CJ/YJ/TJ/JK) have had fabric tops for a long time. Yes, wind-whipped fabric was one reason I instantly discarded the idea of buying one after a test drive, but it can work.

I think the design is interesting and innovative; it will be interesting to see where it goes.

I solved that problem by leaving the top in the garage :lol:

John in Vegas
tj0llll0
Teardrop Builder

Postby toyotarig » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Hey Fornesto, sweet design are you just killing time designing this killer trailers or are you going to build it?
toyotarig
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toasty » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:12 pm

ok i new on here...ive been playing around with google sketch and i found your design online and i wanted to make some changes to see what am i able to do. heres what i did hope you guys like it
toasty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fornesto » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 pm

toyotarig wrote:Hey Fornesto, sweet design are you just killing time designing this killer trailers or are you going to build it?

Oh, I'm going to build it, just as soon as soon as the kids are grown, the house is paid off, the roof is fixed, ......... :lol:

90% of the fun for me right now is the design. Time and money will come soon enough. Hopefully, somebody with time and money right now will take some inspiration and actually build. It looks like its already happening above. I like the extra detailing and green color.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby spadman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:19 pm

that would be an awsome bug out tear! i will take 2! lol! not really, i am still trying to talk the wife in to the first couple of pieces of wood to start my design. 8)
spadman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:40 pm

Welcome Toasty...

What size bottle do you have shown in there?

Mike...

P.S. Are you in Saginaw Township, or in town?

toasty wrote:ok i new on here...ive been playing around with google sketch and i found your design online and i wanted to make some changes to see what am i able to do. heres what i did hope you guys like it
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toasty » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:49 pm

thanks mike
the bottle i just sized in there but i just measured it and it was
20'' x 7'' x 12''

and i live in Saginaw Township.
im actually going to school at SVSU right now
toasty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 pm

toasty wrote:thanks mike
the bottle i just sized in there but i just measured it and it was
20'' x 7'' x 12''

and i live in Saginaw Township.
im actually going to school at SVSU right now

So is that 7 pound or 10 pound?

I stayed in town for a few years before moving to Essexville. I still get into town every so often, to pick up my daughter!!! West side of the river, of course!!!

I took a couple classes at Delta.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toasty » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:19 pm

(Mike)
honestly i don't know.

come on now the East side is the place to live :lol: but yeah i live on the east side to...of course

actually i don't have any problems on the west side during the day at least. I take photography classes and i like to take pics of the old buildings on the west side. my parents call my stupid and crazy with a death wish, but during the day theres not that much of a crime rate. you just wouldn't see me out there at night.
(fornesto)
actually im not planning on building a trailer anytime soon how im still in
college. i have just been playing around seeing how i would want one when ever i get done with college and finally have a place of my own where i can store the trailer when im not camping.
toasty
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets