My Off Road TD

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby jagular7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:32 pm

chorizon wrote:Simple question for all you 4WD guys in the know. What's the difference in MPG between a Samurai and a 4-cylinder Jeep?

The Sami has a much better power to weight ratio as well as aerodynamics when comparing stock available 4cyl engines. The Sami can easily reach 18-20 mph. Jeep YJ or TJs can reach 16 on the highway. Both are fun vehicles to own. There are a lot of options as well out there for engine swaps that can easily provide close to 30mpg range. The VW diesel into the Sami can get you the 30 or better, then match that with developing your own fuel mix. Similar to the TJ but due to its overall greater size and weight, the mpg range is not as high.

I'd keep the Sami on the little side of modifying, but would go whole hog on the Jeep side.

I've had/have both. I currently trailride in a 4cyl/auto 97 TJ.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby chorizon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks, jagular, I've had a few offroad vehicles and I definitely lean toward the ones that get better fuel mileage.

I really dig just cruising around in the desert with some friends, and maybe enjoying a few adult beverages as well.

We own no 4WD vehicles now, but my biggest gripe in the past would have been the low MPG of the "ghosts of 4WD past".

Examples?

My 1st Jeep had a Chevy 350 in it, with all the accoutrements (e.g. Strange axles to replace the broken ones, Rancho springs to replace the broken ones, etc...), it was very fast on the highway! I never got a consistent MPG, probably due to the "grin factor" as well as the good ol' 3-Speed manual it had...

My 2nd Jeep was stock, and worked perfectly, except for the wiring harness I had to replace... 13 MPG no matter what.

Along came the Dodge. 6000# of steel propelled by a Cummins Turbo Diesel. Stock vehicle had everything a 4WD'er would covet, Dana 44 front, 60 rear, NV??? transfer case, whatever. Would go anywhere (unless there was mud, then the front end would sink to oblivion). This was also my my daily driver at the time, and I hated the new creaks-and-pops that would manifest themselves after every offroad excursion.

I've been thinking light. My parents live in a little "subdivision" in west Texas (330,000 acres), and drove an old 2WD Ford Courier around the ranch for years. It would go anywhere. If it got stuck (which happened at least once during a typical 100 mile expedition), we could un-stick it in a jiffy. Coupled with it's little 1.8L Mazda engine(?) it would get around 24 MPG.

That's my benchmark, a small vehicle that could get us around out in the desert that doesn't guzzle the gas. The nearest gas station out there is an 80 mile round trip!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Sami to 4-cyl Jeep mpg

Postby KingMick217 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 am

I got anywhere from 18-21 mpg out of my Samurais, They say you can get up to 45mpg with the VW diesel conversion, and around 25 to 30mpg with a Suzuki 1.6l swap. The VW conversion is an expensive swap though. Penny per pound the 1.6l Suzuki swap would be the best for your money, IMO.
The funny thing about 4-cyl Jeeps is that they don not get any better milage than the 6-cyl do. My wife's TJ has the 4.0l and a 5-spd; with 30x9.5r15 she got 19-21mpg, with 31x10.5r15 she gets 16-17mpg. My buddy's 4-cyl YJ only got 17-18mpg in it's stock configuration.
My 360ci V8 CJ7 gets 9mpg.... that's right I said 9, and that's on the Hwy! And that is why I carry jerry cans with me.

But then again this is all more of a Pirate4x4.com discussion anyway.
You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...
KingMick217
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chorizon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for the info!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Sami to 4-cyl Jeep mpg

Postby Endo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:25 pm

KingMick217 wrote:The funny thing about 4-cyl Jeeps is that they don not get any better milage than the 6-cyl do.

Very true.

If you decide to go with the Jeep get the 6 cylinder. You will be much happier with the increased HP and torque.

We have 2 Jeep TJs.............both 6 cylinders.

Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby jagular7 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm running 4.88s with lockers and 35's on small lift in a 97 TJ with 4cyl/auto. I get between 14-16mpg if I can keep a steady speed. Rolling hills and headwinds really kill me. I average 12mpgs......at slow crawling speeds, I'd say avg 8-10 mpgs.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby Endo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 am

jagular7 wrote:I'm running 4.88s with lockers and 35's on small lift in a 97 TJ with 4cyl/auto. I get between 14-16mpg if I can keep a steady speed. Rolling hills and headwinds really kill me. I average 12mpgs......at slow crawling speeds, I'd say avg 8-10 mpgs.

Running 4.88 gears (stock 3 speed auto??) what RPM do you normally see at highway speeds.

My 2001 has 4.56, lockers, 35's, 4.0L and the 3 speed auto. I normally run about 2800 RPM on the highway at 60 MPH.

We just took a trip with 4 people, towing the teardrop and loaded with food and gear for 6 nights. We averaged about 13 MPG with that large load.

Without a load our average is about the same as yours......16MPG.

Ours Jeeps are "toys" so gas mileage is not our primary concern :thumbsup:.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby jagular7 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 am

Endo wrote:Running 4.88 gears (stock 3 speed auto??) what RPM do you normally see at highway speeds.
.....snip.....
Ours Jeeps are "toys" so gas mileage is not our primary concern :thumbsup:.

3200 in the stock tach, for 68 mph on gps. Speedo show 72 or so. Its a little buzzer.....this rpm was about stock as well with the 225's and 3.73s.

You are a little high as well for a 6cyl. Inlines can take it, but in time you will generate blow-by. I had a 87 XJ that had 4.56, 33's and the Puegeot trans. It was 2600rpm highway. It started blow-by about 170k and it really had no power at 215k.

Look into a AW4 for helping your mileage and rpm. Its a bolt in application from an XJ to a TJ. You'll need to splice some wiring but its not a big deal. The OD in AW4 is awesomely low (.75 IIRC).
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

off road egg

Postby boxcar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi back again.It has ben a while. I must say I like the rig. Have finaly got mine allmost done. Its a converted Teardrop American. I havent goten the hang of posting pics ( I prommis I will take the time to figure that out soon) but you can see them in my profile. All that is left is the suspension upgrade to independent suspension. Then its off to the Alkan....
God Bless....
boxcar
Teardrop Master

Postby Dark Horse » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:46 pm

The Mileage figures are interesting. The average is the same as my 90 Bronco 5.0L 4speed auto 3.55s 31s, 15-16 when driven @ 65mph 75mph 12ish 18@55

the 79 was getting 5mpg 400, 3speed auto 33s/3:55s. Intown, highway all the same
I like anything that turns money into noise.
Dark Horse
Teardrop Master

Re: off road egg

Postby jagular7 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:54 pm

boxcar wrote:Hi back again.It has ben a while. I must say I like the rig. Have finaly got mine allmost done. Its a converted Teardrop American. I havent goten the hang of posting pics ( I prommis I will take the time to figure that out soon) but you can see them in my profile. All that is left is the suspension upgrade to independent suspension. Then its off to the Alkan....

Posting pics is pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. Since you were able to put pics into your album, you can transfer them into the messages. You will need 2 windows open, one for the forum and the other for your album. Then in your message, place your url (website address) of the pic between {img} and {/img}. There is an 'image' box "Img" above your message window you type in. Click on it and the {} will be replaced with []. Add your url and then click on the Img box once again. Or type img between [], add your url, and then /img between [].

I suppose how it all started
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets