My Back-country build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

My Back-country build

Postby greekspeedoman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:41 am

I have been hanging out at mikenchell for almost a year and finally decided to start a trailer to pull behind my Jeep (1996 XJ). I haven't contributed to this forum at all until now.

I appreciate the wisdom found here.

I have made a build site for my tear at: http://jpodbuild.wordpress.com/

I am currently trying to decide how to finish the outside. I like Steve F's take with the epoxy. We'll see. Check out my site. I'd appreciate any feedback or helpful advice you may offer. I may not take all of it but I'll sure read it all.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Postby Wos » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 am

added you to my favorites. I just got rid of my cherokee (6" lift 33"tires). I will be watching your build with much anticipation.
you might find this link interesting. It is Little guys new offroad teardrop http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=24336
Wos
Teardrop Builder

Little guy-Off road

Postby greekspeedoman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:05 pm

I've seen that Little Guy. I like it. I found photos of someone going through a mud puddle that was over the bottom of the door on that tdt and they said it was dry inside. Impressive.

I have made updates to my blog for my build. Check it out on my www.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Walls are cut out

Postby greekspeedoman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:50 am

The walls are cut out and I'm ready to cut the doors and windows. I'm not sure how to cut the doors out because I'd like to save the cut outs for the doors themselves.

I also cannot determine how I'm going to finish the outside of this trailer. $ is an issue. We'll See.

Pictures are on my website - http://jpodbuild.wordpress.com

Here is a quick pic for you.

greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Re: Walls are cut out

Postby Steve F » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:41 pm

greekspeedoman wrote:The walls are cut out and I'm ready to cut the doors and windows. I'm not sure how to cut the doors out because I'd like to save the cut outs for the doors themselves.

I also cannot determine how I'm going to finish the outside of this trailer. $ is an issue. We'll See.

Looking good :) As for the finish, well you saw mine, epoxy soaked into the wood and then lightly sanded and epoxy paint over the top of that. Durable and cheap (comparatively)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Re: Walls are cut out

Postby TPMcGinty » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:56 pm

greekspeedoman wrote:The walls are cut out and I'm ready to cut the doors and windows. I'm not sure how to cut the doors out because I'd like to save the cut outs for the doors themselves.

I wanted to save my cutouts for the doors also. I used a Circular Saw and clamped a 2x4 down to act as a guide. It allowed me to cut straight.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Review my Electrical

Postby greekspeedoman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Update: I am going with Steve F's suggestion of epoxy with a boat paint over the top as my finish. I have one layer of epoxy on my walls so far. I hope to raise the walls soon. See my www for more.

here is an example drawing of my electrical plans. I haven't looked to see if there are others out there yet. This is just from the head of someone who grew up with an electrical engineer as a father.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

[/img]
Last edited by greekspeedoman on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Thanks to you

Postby greekspeedoman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:00 pm

I have looked for the discussion thread on how to skin the inside ceiling of the tear. I cannot remember where I read it but someone suggested boiling water & towels. I just skinned the inside of the jPod using this technique and it was perfect. No breaking and easy to work with. Thanks to those who suggested it. I couldn't have done it without you.

Here's a quick pic. You can see the process I used on my www .

greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Postby TD4FREEW/CTD » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 am

any reason why you went with square corner gussets rather than triangular?
TD4FREEW/CTD
Teardrop Advisor

Gussets

Postby greekspeedoman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:21 pm

I assume you are referring to the corners of the chassis. If not, please clarify the question.

I went with square on the trailer chassis because I plan to put some stabilizer jacks in those places (as well as add strength to the frame). If you read my www, you can find my plan in more detail.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Some Progress

Postby greekspeedoman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:39 am

I've made some progress on my build. New house and a surgery later and I'm ready to go. I have made some excursions into the wilds of nature but I haven't pulled the jPod since moving. It is time to take it with the Jeep.

I got a wilderness book as a gift from a friend (pictured below). It offers some spectacular places to use the jPod. An awesome book from a good friend. Really nice photography & great directions with GPS coordinates and mile by mile descriptions of the roads/trails. Perhaps one of the best books of its kind.

Here is a quick peek at my build progress. There is more on my website.

greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets