Russ in California Has a Choice

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Russ in California Has a Choice

Postby Russ in California » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:35 pm

I don't weld. Wish I did. My father in law does and he's only one hour away.
Here's the question: I could procure the matreial for my 'Outback Teardrop' trailer ala Larry Sorensen and the father in law and I could fab it up. There'd be gas to and from, welding supplies and maybe some compensation. Trailer material would be aprox. $300 plus tax.
Or, for aprox $506 plus tax I could have the local 'boiler works' fab up the thing in a few days. Just have to come up with the $$$ all at once.
So what'd ya think.
Thanks mates.
8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby 01Sport » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Who would do a better job and the way you want? That would be my answer. Price sounds comporable.
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:16 pm

I agree. It would be worth a couple-hundred bucks to me if the fabricator will do a better job. On the other hand, if the FIL would do a better job, I'd put the extra time and driving into having him do it.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Russ in California » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:15 pm

It'd be nice to save a couple of hundred on the construction. I really love my FIL and get along famously, however, if I go that route, it just might take
FOREEEVER. He is methodical and capable if nothing else. It may not take foreeeever, but quick and easy would not enter into the equation.
Maybe I'd have the 'works' fab up the trailer and the FIL and I could add the axel and all the other little tid bits that need to be applied.
As winter approaches our outside time dwindles and makes the task that much harder or unlikely. :cry:
Well, more to think about.
8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51 pm

Russ, I don't weld but one( a couple actually) of my buddys does excellent work...I buy the steel, fab/jig it up in day and he comes and welds it in about 4 hours...unless there is something else going on with the FiL, I would go that way...you and him would have an excellent bonding oppurtunity( or not)...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby DJBear » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 pm

I have to agree with MadJack. I lost my Father-In-Law earlier this year and he lost his last few years to Alzheimer's disease. I would have given anything to have that time back with him now that I'm ready to begin construction of my trailer. Do the work with Daddy-O! You two will have something to look back on with some great stories to boot - I'd bet ya on it!!!
Best of luck with your build!
DJ Bear
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." --W.C. Fields
DJBear
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:17 am

madjack wrote:Russ, I don't weld but one( a couple actually) of my buddys does excellent work...I buy the steel, fab/jig it up in day and he comes and welds it in about 4 hours...unless there is something else going on with the FiL, I would go that way...you and him would have an excellent bonding oppurtunity( or not)...........
madjack 8)

Plus you would then have some experience with trailer fabrication as well!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets