Tiny Trailer for ATV

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby IdahoATVer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:53 am

Well...I had a chance to work on my lil' trailer the last couple weekends.
It is almost done except for the outer skin (may use paint or maybe FRP)..anyone used that before ?...I think I may move the axle back ...the tongue is very light...and yes the HF springs are very stiff.....has anyone tried removing one of the leaf's ??....and will probably get some kinda tire that is more like an ATV tire with less air pressure needed. The floor is 3/4 Plywood , the walls are sandwich construction with 3/8" outside and 1/8" inside with 3/4" insulation .

Thanks,
Scott

IdahoATVer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gerdo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:51 pm

I have found an ATV supplier that carries ATV wheels that are 4 lugs on 4" spacing and 5 lug on 4.5" spacing. It's Matt from ATV Outfitters. Becareful of backspacing and interfierance with the body. You may need a spacer.

Looks good. Should be fun on the trail.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:50 pm

IdahoATVer wrote:...and yes the HF springs are very stiff.....has anyone tried removing one of the leaf's ??....

Removing a leaf (the shortest one) is certainly a potentially good method to soften a leaf spring pack, but there may be issues. If the suspension uses shackles on one end of the leaf springs (rather than a "slipper" setup which slides on the frame mount), then all of the damping comes from friction between the leafs (assuming there are no shock absorbers), and a pack with one less leaf may not have enough friction. If removing one gets you down to just one leaf left, with shackles, then there will be no damping to control bounce. Even with a five-leaf pack, I found that adding shock absorbers to my travel trailer made the suspension much better controlled, so if I were going to bounce around anywhere off-road I would certainly want to improve (rather than remove) damping.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets