Tiny Trailer for ATV

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Tiny Trailer for ATV

Postby IdahoATVer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:56 pm

Anyone built one ?...I plan on building on a HF 40" * 48" trailer frame...main camper will be 4' long with a 3' "slideout" out the back. I won't be rock climbing with it , just puttin down trails and old logging roads etc. , I am drawing up a sketch and will post soon....my four wheeler has a towing capacity of 900 lb. ( I am shooting for a 1/3 of that, trailer frame weighs 160 lb) ....any ideas or has anyone built one ?

Thanks Alot,
Scott
IdahoATVer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:44 pm

...this one is 7' long and 32"s wide and weighs in at 250#'s...it was built on the 40x48" HF frame but all the steel was tossed in favor of aluminum hat channel(think steel, street sign posts).....
madjack 8)

p.s. it was built to pull behind a motorcycle........MJ

...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IdahoATVer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:54 pm

That's pretty cool.....looks like a coffin tho !!
IdahoATVer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:04 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...we call it the coffin as well...we built it for my buddy and told him, when he dies, we would just put him in it and roll him into the hole...he calls it the "BedRoll"...............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby schaney » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:59 am

IdahoATVer, a scaled down Explorer Box would work well. I've been looking at doing one with skis for towing behind snowmobiles.

I personally would not use a bolt-together frame for a off-road trailer. Dragging it over rocks isn't a big issue, it's the vibrations from washboard, rough trails.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby stomperxj » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:13 am

I would agree with avoiding a bolt together frame. Vibration would kill one. It will cost more but a custom built frame will be way better. Don't skimp on material thickness either. .120 wall for the main frame rails is best for a strength/weight compromise. Dave Nathanson had an issue with his frame on washboard and it is a welded frame. Imagine what a bolt together frame would look like...

stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm sure it can be done. I would build it on a custom trailer that has a torsion axle and uses ATV tires. Something like this trailer.

This trailer has a pair of axles that are leafsprings. It measures 46"w X 60"L and has racks that slide out to carry equipment. The measurement to the outside of the tires is 48".
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IdahoATVer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:34 pm

Schaney : I think we may have communicated via email before, I know it may be cramped but I am trying to avoid the tent thing.

StomperXJ : Thanks for heads up on the welding, I have the trailer already and a welder, I guess I can just weld the bolted trailer together ?...by the way I live in Kuna too, well about 5 miles east of Kuna.

Gerdo: That is quite a trailer for sure!! pretty cool

Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas, keep them coming...I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want, well I guess I know what I want, just not sure best way use a small space to achieve it.

Thanks,
Scott
IdahoATVer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stomperxj » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:53 pm

IdahoATVer wrote:StomperXJ : Thanks for heads up on the welding, I have the trailer already and a welder, I guess I can just weld the bolted trailer together ?...by the way I live in Kuna too, well about 5 miles east of Kuna.

Hey Scott - If you need a hand with something let me know. I'm all set up with a welder and everything over here so if you need to tack something or run a couple beads give me a shout ;)

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby navigator » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:40 pm

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby prohandyman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:33 pm

I would agree with avoiding a bolt together frame. Vibration would kill one.

Not necessarily. I have an aluminum bolt-together frame that I have had for 15 years, first as a canoe trailer, then a flat bed utility, and now a kayak trailer, and it had performed flawlessly for all those years. As a matter of fact it has outlasted 2 sets of fenders that rusted. It was made from Bosch structural framing aluminum. Very strong and sturdy.
Kind of like an Erector Set - just cut to size and bolt pieces together.
Look here:
http://www13.boschrexroth-us.com/framing_shop/
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby stomperxj » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:07 pm

prohandyman wrote:Not necessarily. I have an aluminum bolt-together frame that I have had for 15 years, first as a canoe trailer, then a flat bed utility, and now a kayak trailer, and it had performed flawlessly for all those years. As a matter of fact it has outlasted 2 sets of fenders that rusted. It was made from Bosch structural framing aluminum. Very strong and sturdy.
Kind of like an Erector Set - just cut to size and bolt pieces together.

The O.P. was asking about a standard Harbor Freight steel bolt together frame. That's what I was referring to. That structural aluminum you linked is unique for sure but its almost $3 a foot... not very cost effective in my opinion...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:03 pm

You could easly use a bolt together HF frame. I have heard that some come with cheap bolts so you may want to upgrade to grade 8s. I would also have the joints welded. It wouldn't be a big deal.

As with your ATVing, I'm sure you started out on easy trails and keep going onto harder trails. Think ahead and build for the future. I would build for some agressive trail riding. We fly down smoother trails and drag the trailer that I showed up some knarly trails. If you want to tow on the road you could go with DOT offroad tires so you can trailer to the trail head and then drop the air pressure when you hit the trails.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby schaney » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Another consideration for an off-road trailer is soft springs. The HF spring are very stiff.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby highlandercj-7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:39 am

You may try to find a Apache, Since I bought mine I have found 4. Here's a pic, it's all aluminum. they weigh about 300lbs with out your gear. They are 4 on 4 lug axles so golf kart atv tires would bolt right up.

There's a bed on top the box that sleeps 2 and the tent floor area is 7x7 or so, the entire foot print is 12 x 7 the a 7x7 porch off that.

highlandercj-7
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets