LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation

Postby Snowdrift » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:55 am

Hello everyone. I am planing a off road teardrop build in the future. I want to use it in the winter so I have been looking at insulation and found this stuff. Thought every one here would like to see it.

www.lizardskin.com
Snowdrift
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 am

It claims the microspheres are air filled. The following URL claims that their spheres have a vacuum.

http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html

The Hy-Tech spheres added to epoxy on a woody roof could be an interesting experiment.

From personal experience a small RV suffers from radiant solar gain, so it seems a reflective coating would be a good thing. I can feel the sun's warmth through our Chalet's low mass insulated panels (1/24" fiberglass, 1" foam, 1/8" wood) instantly upon sunrise. R-values don't tell the whole story. Filon has much better R-value than aluminum, but aluminum reflects radiant heat much better.

That said, lots of claims from both companies without a lot of test data to back it them up.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Snowdrift » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:34 am

Good find looks like the HyTech would be easer to apply.
Snowdrift
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:02 pm

That kind of stuff is good to protect car interiors from parts such as nearby hot exhausts, but the total insulating value of any reasonable thickness is neglible by housing standards. Try to get an "R-value" (total or per unit thickness) and maybe this will become apparent; plastic foam insulation is typically R4/inch to R6/inch.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Looks interesting

Now come on folks - the REAL question is: How many lizards did they have to skin for one pail of product? :lol:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Esteban » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:49 pm

I don't begin to understand the stuff. They avoided giving an R value saying it's not the proper test or measure. I did a Google search on insulating paint to see what I could learn. From the little I learned they do not insulate against heat being conducted through material. They are more reflective. But then I go back to my first statement, I don't understand the stuff and their claims make me wary.

Using an outer aluminum skin, or painting with a white paint will also be very reflective.

The foam insulation I'm using is rated at R5 per inch and has an aluminum skin on both sides. It should be more than adequate. Time will tell.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets