Offroad tow rigs - Lets see yours

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby bigalpha » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:25 pm

I like your tow vehicle and trailer. Did you put in air lockers?
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bluzharp » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:52 pm

bigalpha wrote: How does your TD fare on that rugged, rocky terrain?

I built the teardrop with rugged terrain in mind. It has high clearance, 3500# axle with the springs on top, and the massive lock'n'roll hitch. It performed perfectly on the rough terrain and tight trails on that trip.
bluzharp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve F » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Finally got a pic offroad (well it isn't sealed) the track was very easy, 2WD all thee way, but I thought I'd take a pic anyway.

Coming up here a mate who was with me had to go into 4WD as his box trailer was dragging and hanging up, no such problem for me :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby pete.wilson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Hey

Steve,

Any problems with water intrusion in the trailer? How have you sealed against it?

Knowing how you Aussie's like to drive through rivers! LOL-JK 8)

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby bigalpha » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Man, those are two very badass offroad trailers.

Maybe our second TD will be offroad trailers.
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve F » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:02 am

pete.wilson wrote:Hey

Steve,

Any problems with water intrusion in the trailer? How have you sealed against it?

Knowing how you Aussie's like to drive through rivers! LOL-JK 8)

Pete Wilson

No problem yet, but it's pretty dry down here so no water crossing yet either ;) Most of the creeks on main tracks are like the above.

I've sealed as best I can but I think I'll use a blind around the front/underneath to help keep the water out of the doors when I do.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby pete.wilson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Hey

Steve,

How much clearance do you have from the bottom of the trailer to the ground? What size axle and tires are you running? They look to be about 31 x 15's.

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Seems to me that if you were concerned with water getting in, you could build with a Cub/Modernistic design, where the bottom half of the hatch is just part of the body, i.e. it doesn't open.

Then the only thing you'd have to worry about is water getting in via the bottom of the doors. :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve F » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:28 am

pete.wilson wrote:Hey

Steve,

How much clearance do you have from the bottom of the trailer to the ground? What size axle and tires are you running? They look to be about 31 x 15's.

Pete Wilson

Axle is a 45mm solid bar axle running 31x10x15 tyres like you thought (32x11.5x15) on the jeep.

I have 22" of clearance under the frame :) not including the axle and spring perches, the A Frame is a little lower.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am

I little local climb.

Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TheSouthernBird » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:50 am

while I do love the jeeps, I am a mopar man at heart.... but 99% of the people in our trail riding groups have jeeps,...So I just had to be different.. I picked up this little BII to do my trail riding with.. & the reason I am now building me a little travel trailer...

I will be adding a james duff stage 3 lift, 4.0,with a LS 8.8 rear & dana 35 w/aussie lockers this summer.. & keeping a mounted set of Bias 33 TSL's on beadlocks for trail riding..
------------------------------
GO DAWGS!!
TheSouthernBird
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Endo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:05 am

TheSouthernBird wrote:I will be adding a james duff stage 3 lift, 4.0,with a LS 8.8 rear & dana 35 w/aussie lockers this summer.. & keeping a mounted set of Bias 33 TSL's on beadlocks for trail riding..

:thumbsup:

Make sure you post a picture after the modifications!
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby firemaniac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:27 pm

A Mopar guy rocking a Ford? :?
Isn't that a blue 97+ Dodge Dakota in the background? Or is it someone else's?

If I remember from my Dakota day's Rancho made a pretty good 3" lift kit for the Dakota was even used on one of the Turtle Expedition rigs, The Weekend Warrior When I had my 98 (4X4, 5spd, 318,...surprised ricers and a couple of Mustang's) I constantly drooled over this kit, let alone the truck. :R

Oh well decent truck and the 8.8 is a pretty good rear end the TTB front I think is a good choice for "high speed rally" type driving, but usually not a lot of flex for rocks. And it looks clean. And its not what ya bought it's what ya build! :thumbsup:
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby TheSouthernBird » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:10 pm

firemaniac wrote:A Mopar guy rocking a Ford? :?
Isn't that a blue 97+ Dodge Dakota in the background? Or is it someone else's?

If I remember from my Dakota day's Rancho made a pretty good 3" lift kit for the Dakota was even used on one of the Turtle Expedition rigs, The Weekend Warrior When I had my 98 (4X4, 5spd, 318,...surprised ricers and a couple of Mustang's) I constantly drooled over this kit, let alone the truck. :R

Oh well decent truck and the 8.8 is a pretty good rear end the TTB front I think is a good choice for "high speed rally" type driving, but usually not a lot of flex for rocks. And it looks clean. And its not what ya bought it's what ya build! :thumbsup:

lol....
yea mopar tried & true...
& yes that's the 00 dakota, but it & our 2001 ram are only 4x2's..

I had a 98 ram 4x4 I use to wheel,.. but, for some reason, it was always warping axles & breaking rear ends??.. & at over $1,500.00 a pop.. it had to go..

so I went with something cheap, lighter, smaller, & shorter wheel base.. & I found this..
so far so good.. I have carried it on a few rides with the jeepers, & it has hung right in there with them..

but I will be upgrading to manual hubs & a manual t case before I get started on the lift.. want to eliminate them failures before they happen..

I don't plan on doing any extreme rock crawling parts of the courses with the BII, so major flex is no biggy..

So I believe the duff stuff, will be enough..

I have played with the idea of doing the straight axle swap,.. but if the extreme bug bites, & I decide to build a crawler.. I believe I would build a strictly off road rig.. maybe them jump to a jeep or samurai..
------------------------------
GO DAWGS!!
TheSouthernBird
Teardrop Inspector

Here she is

Postby Jeeper92 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:27 pm

No action shots :cry: My hard drive crashed the day before i bought an external HD to back them up!!!
Jeeper92
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets