hunting tdt

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

hunting tdt

Postby fgant10 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:35 pm

I am planning on building a tdt this summer. it will be used for bowhunting in North Dakota. Here are a few concerns/questions.
1. how to make it warm enough for North dakota winters.
2. any suggestions for equipment storage, i.e.. bow, treestands, groung blinds, etc...
3. I am 6'4" tall would you go with a 10' version.
4. an outdoor galley is neat, but cooking when it is -45 outside?

these are just a few of the things i am trying to figure out.

Fred
fgant10
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete.wilson » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Hey

I don't have a teardrop but I do find myself out and about when it's cold, I will be camping in about 2 weeks for four days in OK (a bit warmer than N.D. I admit).

For a heater, look at the diesel powered heaters made by Suburban; it has low flamability and is safe with the exhaust vented outide and is what powers a lot of tent campers. Or you could run a portable generator and use 115v electric blanket or 1500Watt heater, just bundle up and use a a Mr. Buddy, propane heater to warm things up, then shut it off as you sleep (you will get cold later though). If you are at a campground, just plug in the little electric heater, most have thermostats.

Storage, you are limited to your vehicle unless you want to store inside the TD and then remove it when you want to sleep. You could build a 10-12ft trailer and incorporate storage into it, like a front storage compartment, under a raised bed area, etc.

For cooking when it's cold, you could use a pop-up shelter (you get what you pay for) and then make some custom sides for it, since you want to block the wind (modify plastic tarps will work, be sure to secure it properly due to wind). I have a 12X14 and am designing some semi solid sides for it which will make it more wind proof and comfortable, if you careful in the heater slection you might be able to use a kerosene heater to warm the area, just remember about the flamability issue and always be aware of carbon monoxide poisioning.

I would consider either a 5X10, 5X12 or into the 6X12 size, maybe you can find an old pop-up reasonable which is 6' 6" wide. There are lot of people around here that are way! smarter that can offer better advice, this will give you a few items to consider.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby fgant10 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:17 am

pete.wilson wrote:Hey

I don't have a teardrop but I do find myself out and about when it's cold, I will be camping in about 2 weeks for four days in OK (a bit warmer than N.D. I admit).

For a heater, look at the diesel powered heaters made by Suburban; it has low flamability and is safe with the exhaust vented outide and is what powers a lot of tent campers. Or you could run a portable generator and use 115v electric blanket or 1500Watt heater, just bundle up and use a a Mr. Buddy, propane heater to warm things up, then shut it off as you sleep (you will get cold later though). If you are at a campground, just plug in the little electric heater, most have thermostats.

Storage, you are limited to your vehicle unless you want to store inside the TD and then remove it when you want to sleep. You could build a 10-12ft trailer and incorporate storage into it, like a front storage compartment, under a raised bed area, etc.

For cooking when it's cold, you could use a pop-up shelter (you get what you pay for) and then make some custom sides for it, since you want to block the wind (modify plastic tarps will work, be sure to secure it properly due to wind). I have a 12X14 and am designing some semi solid sides for it which will make it more wind proof and comfortable, if you careful in the heater slection you might be able to use a kerosene heater to warm the area, just remember about the flamability issue and always be aware of carbon monoxide poisioning.

I would consider either a 5X10, 5X12 or into the 6X12 size, maybe you can find an old pop-up reasonable which is 6' 6" wide. There are lot of people around here that are way! smarter that can offer better advice, this will give you a few items to consider.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS

Some great ideas thanks. The big tear drop that has the galley opening with canvas on the sides caught my eye.
fgant10
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fgant10 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:20 am

the style i am looking at is the "New Kampster" seems big enough for me and the extra walls that pop up around the galley might help when its -80 and i am trying to cook deer meat.
fgant10
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sr160009 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 pm

Keep us updated on what you might come up with. I am also a bowhunter in Texas, and I just starting to plan a TD design to haul my ATV as well.
sr160009
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:43 pm

You might consider building a giant teardrop, and not use the galley when it is THAT cold outside.

Check out the Generic ET build in the hall of fame. We used it in some cold weather this week, and it worked really well. Cooking, or warming up foods can be done in the inside galley.

We were all electric, but I have plans to put in a forced air furnace on one of the bathroom shelves.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Sounds like a Winter Warrior type design would be just right for you. If you're hunting you will be bringing a lot of mud back with you. I would think having space to sit down and take the boots off, inside the trailer in the heat, would be great. Also you would have space inside for some of your storage items and cooking also, no outdoor galley on the Warrior. Just some ideas for you. :D
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby fgant10 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:08 pm

mikeschn wrote:You might consider building a giant teardrop, and not use the galley when it is THAT cold outside.

Check out the Generic ET build in the hall of fame. We used it in some cold weather this week, and it worked really well. Cooking, or warming up foods can be done in the inside galley.

We were all electric, but I have plans to put in a forced air furnace on one of the bathroom shelves.

Mike...

Giant TDT? is that like a double sized one. or am i better off buying a small camper. I would really like to build my own, you know. that way i know i built it better than the cheap stuff you just go to the rv place and buy, all that plastic, yuk.
fgant10
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fgant10 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:10 pm

Victor Star wrote:Sounds like a Winter Warrior type design would be just right for you. If you're hunting you will be bringing a lot of mud back with you. I would think having space to sit down and take the boots off, inside the trailer in the heat, would be great. Also you would have space inside for some of your storage items and cooking also, no outdoor galley on the Warrior. Just some ideas for you. :D

what is the winter warrior design? it sounds like it would beright up my ally.
fgant10
Teardrop Inspector

winter warrior

Postby fgant10 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:23 pm

I found the winter warrior in the hall of fame and you were right it is exactly what i am looking for. now i just need a set of plans. lol

Fred
fgant10
Teardrop Inspector

FYI

Postby fgant10 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:57 pm

:thinking: 8)
Well i have settled on a plan. it is the winter warrior, just a little bigger than standard. will be starting on the frame soon. the camper will be about 25% larger than normal. remember this is a hunting tdt, and will be used for 5 to 8 days at a time in the winter bowhunting season here North Dakota. Wanted to thank everybody for their help, suggestions and positive support, especially mike, mike you da man. i will take pictures and post them as often as i can.

Fred
fgant10
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark McD » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:37 am

Good luck with the winter warrior. It's a design I kicked around in my head also. (As well as every other plan on this forum).
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby 35thAV » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Depending on how much room you need and what your towing with you may consider rounding up a small travel trailer instead.

Many of them are already set up with heat, inside cooking space and room for your gear. I bought mine (a little 13 footer) for $600 bucks then set it up for our needs - white water rafting, kayaking, snow skiing, mountaing biking etc.

It keeps us completely dry and warm when we need it to.
1976 Westwind 13' with dual rear doors (48")Painted to match the F250 <b><i>My big little trailer!</i></b>

<b>The road takes me to the dirt, the dirt takes me to the whitewater, the whitewater takes me to the......</b>
My adventures blog:<b> http://blastshelter.blogspot.com/</b>
35thAV
Teardrop Master

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets