The beginnings of the "Little Sport" w/pics

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: Hey

Postby Endo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:54 am

Jeeper92 wrote:Wait, so endo, you are going to be putting the tent on the roof of your tear?????? Whats one of those tents cost?

Yes tent on the roofrack. The one pictured in my previous post was WAY too much $$$ ($995+shipping). I bought this:

I am going to take the legs off the tent cot. Build a roofrack, mount the cot to the rack, and bolt it to the tear.
I paid about $270 for the double tentcot with the rainfly, storage bag and free shipping.
Same concept as this trailer but on a tear and not a "utility" off-road trailer:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipmen ... haser.html
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Was messing around with some designs

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 am

Changed the design around a litte bit. I decided to ahve a pair and go ahead and put a galLEY IN. Im going to lean on you all something fierce when i get to that stage. I got rid of the 6 inch slope in the back end, it was 6 inches of storage I could use. Please if you have any suggestions give them to me
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Endo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:00 pm

I would move your door back. If you have some room in front of the door it will make getting in and lying down much easier.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Ok

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:07 pm

Im just not sure where the tire will fall, but Im sure it will be big enough, I need a larger entrance. iM 6'6 260
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:15 pm

I agree with Endo - move the door back and also you'll probably need to move the bottom storage wall below the galley towards the back or you wont have enough room being a 6'6" dude...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Got ya

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Im gonna move the door back, but im gonna keep the galley, this thing is 5 feet wide maybe 5 and a half. So itll be plenty big, i lay in my sons double bed adn its perfect thats what got me in the tear drop mode
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby angib » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Will the salvaged window work at that angle?

Some windows rely on using drain holes and if you tilt the window back enough, the drain holes won't work - or at least by the time water is draining out of them, it's also overflowing inside.... :(

If it's a non-opening window, there shouldn't be any problem but even so it's worth checking - if your sleeping head is going to be underneath the window, you want to be very sure it won't leak!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Angig

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:23 pm

I think I may be ok, the window is an opening window that has a cover that goes over the whole thing. Im not sure. Ill check it out after Im done tearing everything out

I gotta tell you all im terrified of doing the hatch and the door. Ive searched on here but can get a good step by step way to do them. Any suggestions? Are there different ways to do the hatch? Whats the easiest?

thanks

Bob
Jeeper92
500 Club

uh boy

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:07 pm

Jesus!! The more I read the more Im pretty sure I cant build one of these things. Doors/hatches/electric..............im prolly getting in over my hear here
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:58 am

"CAN'T" NEVER DID A THING!

Don't give up on your dreams. :( Just be patient with yourself and maybe take it in steps. If you start with a chassis kit; build that and add flooring. Once you have that, you could start using that tent structure right on top, if you wanted to. (Or, if you decide it really isn't for you, you could sell your then flat bed trailer at that point. But, I think you'll want to continue on.) Next, add a basic wooden structure. Read and plan a lot here now, and before you start that part. People here are really kind and helpful here, and there is a lot of information available just by searching through what's already been done!

I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother, have minimal tools, and am working on building a trailer. If I can do it, you can too!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Roof top tent

Postby AJ Alley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 am

I have been looking at light weight options for quick kayak trips and have looked into the roof top tent. I have seen a lot of designs and some plans for home made.

Here is a link for more information; they are not budget friendly!

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/choose.php

As Endo mentioned in his post and because we all like to keep budget in mind, I have considered this option (this looks like with minor modification to a roof rack it could work great). http://www.kamprite.com/pages/products/double

Granted it may not be as roomy or set up as quick but considering my main use would be for a quick ovenight trip or as axillary sleeping quarters, the fact it can also be used independently of the vehicle and it is budget friendly it is worth considering. (this brand the military also uses in the single)

:relaxing: dreaming about MI summer

Endo, have you used it on the ground yet to see how well it works?
AJ Alley
Teardrop Inspector

Re: uh boy

Postby tinksdad » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:39 am

Jeeper92 wrote:Jesus!! The more I read the more Im pretty sure I cant build one of these things. Doors/hatches/electric..............im prolly getting in over my hear here

I thought the same thing at more than one point during Itty-Bitty's construction. Granted, I made a mistake here and there along the way; but nothing that couldn't be corrected and later claimed to add character and individuality to my trailer. Just take your time and think things through and it will happen. The best part is you have a wealth of information available to you right here in the forums. I'm sure every conceivable problem has been encountered and overcome. Just ask for help and people will offer all kinds of solutions.

You get the first one done.... and before you know it #2 and #3 etc will be in the planning/construction stages. By that time you will be offering your own advice/experiences to future newbs in the same position you are at now.
tinksdad
500 Club

Re: uh boy

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:Jesus!! The more I read the more Im pretty sure I cant build one of these things. Doors/hatches/electric..............im prolly getting in over my hear here

:thumbsup: This is how you know you are on the right track. One step at a time. You can do everything at one time so there is no need in trying to. The doors are as easy as the sides.

The hatch is actually the easiest part once you get it going.

Most of the build threads have door and hatch construction. Just find one close to what you want. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: Roof top tent

Postby Endo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 pm

AJ Alley wrote:Endo, have you used it on the ground yet to see how well it works?

Yes, we used the Tent cot last summer. It worked great. I think it will work well once mounted to a roof-rack.

Jeeper92 DON'T GIVE UP.
Sometimes the process does seem a little overwhelming but take it slow.
Don't put yourself on too tight of a timeline. Building is half the fun!
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:47 pm

Yeah I know but if im going to use it it has to be in hte spring and summer, co,e august through december ITS ALL FOOTall. I guess i jsut ahve to say screw it and build it!
Jeeper92
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets