my new trailer

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

my new trailer

Postby marcovgv » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:27 pm

first let me introduce myself I am Marco and I live in Davie FL.
Here is a pic of my new trailer a M116A3 the trailer is in perfect condition it looks like it has never been used and just sat in a warehouse all its life. I am planning to build a off road teardrop on this trailer. it currently sits on 35X12.5R17 bfg mud terrains. The trailer has a brake system and also independent parking brake for each wheel and it is rated one ton. any ideal are welcome!
here is a link for more pics.
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

Image :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
marcovgv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby magilla » Fri May 01, 2009 7:36 am

Looks like its got heaps of potential Marco.
What are the big plans
Colac, South West Victoria, South East Australia.
Some Aussie slang
Cans, frothies, stubbies or a pot if you are in a pub (club/bar/ale house)= beer..........Plonk = wine..........BBQ shapes = small savory biscuit to be eaten with stubbies or plonk
magilla
Teardrop Master

Postby jagular7 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:07 am

Nice and clean.

However, I'd suggest you look at couple of things.
1- trailer basic weight. Its is heavy due to the axle, brakes and the 1/4" c-channel material used as the frame and tongue. It is heavy and designed to carry heavy weight across the frame.
2- height, due to the military requirements, trailer is designed to carry up to 1.5tons offroad behind a Hummer. The overall floor height is relatively high to clear obstacles offroad.
3- wheel/bolt pattern, due to military requirements, the wheel is a standard 8-lug 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern, same as those on the Hummer and late model heavy duty trucks. Tire size is tall to be compatible with the puller vehicle (Hummer).
4- foundation for the floor is rather wide and short which makes it difficult for a floor plan
5- coupling is a lunette
6- What is your estimate for a finished weight and what do you plan to pull it with?

You could look for a non-expanding shelter at the gov't liq auction. It weighs nearly 1000# and that would fit well with this frame and wheels.

If you replace the tires, wheels, and axle for something more kindly with todays trailers, you could save some weight. If you remove the tongue and restructure a lighter A-frame, again saving some weight. The frame is welded together so you will have some difficulty there loosing weight. You could remove the inner 3 crossmembers to help lighten that up and add lighter members where needed. The outer structure of the frame will be rigid enough for a camper.

I started off with something similar with a M101 trailer frame.

I swapped out the tongue and used a box tongue from a 2500# boat trailer.

Swapped in 14" tires, 3500# Dexter axle with parking brake (great feature for my driveway) but kept the stock suspension. Everything worked out well. I then added a slid in pickup camper from QuickSilver. It weighed nearly 1300#s empty. The slidein weighs under 500#s, so that makes the trailer frame 800#s+. That's heavy for a rolling frame.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby marcovgv » Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm

I want the pintle hitch deal as it has been recommended as better for offroad. The bolt pattern will be taken care of with wheel adapters changing the pattern to 6x5.5 like my truck this is if they are rated to the proper weight. if not then I will buy another wheel with this bolt pattern and use it as a spare. I am still in the dreaming stage but I am thinking about a offroad teardrop design on 35x12.5 bfg mudterrains keeping the same ride height the trailer has now as it is perfect ground clearance for offroad and lines up perfect to my land cruiser. I am also considering putting a rooftoptent on top of the teardrop via a roofrack.. I have 3 kids!! so space is an issue. I think that the trailer will work for me as is, to build on with some cutting of the bed that is currently mounted on the chassis. I want to keep it heavy duty. My tow rig is tall and has lots of power so I dont think height or towing capacity wil be an issue. The teardrop will be completely coated in Linex bedliner to match my truck. I had the truck completely spraed with this stuff in the original dune beige and I love it. This stuff will seal everything and actually makes body panels more rigid and tougher. well thats it for now I will update and send more pics as things develop. let me know if you guis have any tips for me !!!

here are a couple of pics of my tow rig. 1973 toyota fj40 land cruiser. Ramjet 350 EFI putting out 410 hp. its got a 4 inch lift. I just completed a full restoration.

these two pics were taken before the beadlock wheels were installed.

I love my new beadlocks!
marcovgv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby magilla » Fri May 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Fully sick Shorty Marco
(We call em shorty;s or 40's over here)
Colac, South West Victoria, South East Australia.
Some Aussie slang
Cans, frothies, stubbies or a pot if you are in a pub (club/bar/ale house)= beer..........Plonk = wine..........BBQ shapes = small savory biscuit to be eaten with stubbies or plonk
magilla
Teardrop Master

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:37 pm

OK, I'm in full jealousy mode on the FJ40. This has the makings of an awesome looking rig. Any more pics of the FJ? A build up of a 'Cruiser has been on my "to do list" for a very long time. Keep the pics coming on your build. BTW, where do you do most of your off roading?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Nice Trailer

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 pm

I would keep the trailer as stock as possible, you should be able to pull that to hell and back and not have a cracked frame or broken weld or bent tongue, I agree the pintle hitch allows much more twisting motion and should work great for off roading. With 3 kids you may need to carry a tent along and use the trailer for a master bedroom. As long as you do not plan on towing with a little 2.0 4 cylinder car that will not get out of itls own way you should be fine. Every one has a different opinion on trailer weight, I have seen too many under built frames that flex way too much just going down the interstate. I am building on a 3500k axle on a 1988 boat trailer, heavy springs etc. In an emergeny if I want to load it down with gear or people I can. It is too easy to overload a light weight trailer and not realize it till it is too late. Good luck with your project. Bill
Beavers are Naughty!
Wild Bill
The 300 Club

Postby marcovgv » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:59 pm

bill I was thinking of builing a teardrop on the trailer and then placing a rooftop tent like the one offfered by campinglab.com its like 900 bucks not bad.

i agree with you that is ewhy i went for this military trailer made to carry a generator. it migh be overkill but the fj has 430 horse power and has hauled my other trailer with three atv without a problem.

what do you guys think about incorporating a fuel tank for extra gasoline under the trailer maybe about another 15 gallons. this would be great for expeditions. of course I would make some skid plates to keep it well protected.
marcovgv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:11 pm

SahWeeet find Marco :EXP :EXP :EXP :thumbs up1:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby WesGrimes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 pm

I hope your not planning on taking that FJ40 off-road. I am going to have to call CPS (classic protective services) if you even get close to a trail with that thing!
The trailer is cool too, and will go with the rig nicely.
WesGrimes
Teardrop Master

Postby Russ in California » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 pm

marcovgv wrote:here are a couple of pics of my tow rig. 1973 toyota fj40 land cruiser. Ramjet 350 EFI putting out 410 hp. its got a 4 inch lift. I just completed a full restoration.

these two pics were taken before the beadlock wheels were installed.

I love my new beadlocks!

Oh Babby ! :thumbs up1:

8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets