The Stumble Inn

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby chorizon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 pm

eatatjoz wrote:It's also giving me practice for building a real tear to be pulled behind my Vmax.

Cool! Think you'll still be able to run a 10s 1/4 mile with the tear behind it? ;)
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 pm

I'll let ya know. I just lost second gear (for some strange reason :twisted:) and need to fix the transmission over the winter. Since the engine will already be out I'm leaning toward punching her out to 1540cc's, some 'busa rods to stroke it out, and maybe a little blue bottle to help it along.
I'm cheap on a lot of stuff, but when it comes to hotrods, I just spend WAY too much money.
Only the best for my baby! :D
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Man what a recycler you are - where do find all the stuff - It looking better each time you post - even the "accidents" look like they are supposed to be there! What an illusionist you are :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 pm

You are going to have so much fun AND you will have earned your bragging rights at producing one of the Cheapest, roomy trailers in the whole nation.

Just to warn you, get it camp-able and go camping, you'll take a few years of modifying it before you get it done.

Like others have said, it gets better every time you post.

Keep at it

John

PS, thanks for the positive comments on my trailer, I think your's will be way more inspirational, Get-r-done!!!!

PSS, I'm struggling with how you are going to do the hatch and can't wait till you show us
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:37 pm

jdarkoregon wrote: I'm struggling with how you are going to do the hatch and can't wait till you show us

Me too.
I'm sure it will involve three redesigns, several beers, and lots of headscratching/facepalming, but it's only impassible. Nothing's impossible.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:37 pm

When I left for work this morning, I got the same forecast as expected. More rain.
Once I got home I used the breaks between the rain to fire up the grill and try to accomplish something. Oct 1st (bow season will be here soon)
The fancy stuff can wait. I need a place to sleep, and I don't want to be in a tent when I'm this close.

I punched a hole in an old Jerrycan and welded in a spicot. This is now my fresh water tank. I'll work on the frame for it in the next few days.

put the door on my sink cabinet using some old hinges from an entertainment center that I found on the side of the road.

checked my water...

Pump,
pump.
It works!
All plumbing is finished. Shore water, tank water, installed the Gray water tank, and finished up my propane lines.

Then I started looking at the issues involved in the galley hatch.
I originally thought of making the lower a split system and just opening the top. I'm running out of time, so I think traditional is the way to go for now and I can rebuild it later.
Getting it on the road and to the camp site is the issue right now.

I also came across another problem. My window leaked, but the camper didn't. I ended up with a 1 1/2" of water in the camper. (I guess this means that it will float)
That's what I got done today. I've got fifteen days to get this thing to deer camp so busting ssa is going to be high priority.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 pm

ah come on. . .

an inch and a half and only the window leaked?? Most of us complain if we get a drop of rain water, you could have taken a bath

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm

It was probably only and inch, but it's still holding water. I need to drill a hole for a boat plug.
I don't want to accidentally leave the doors open and come back to a swimming pool instead of a place to sleep.
Dang me, I forgot to tarp the thing.

It hasn't rained in five hours and it's still holding water.... :cry:

But if I spill a beer, I just need a straw! :R

Edit: The rain issue is all my fault. Since I decided to slope the center of the camper to alleviate the need for gutters, it dropped all the rain straight on to my unsealed front window. Not a good Idea looking back.

Once it's sealed though.... Heck, at least I know the water won't come in from the floor! ;)
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:54 am

You might want to put a divirter above that window to keep the water run off from the roof reaching the window in full force - on a previous build I used a strip of Vinyl siding J trim - worked real well - it kinda hard to see in the pict but it's above the door and front AC port
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby eatatjoz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:30 pm

It's been a while. My laptop died and so did my welder. I had to switch from the Ranger8 to a little MIG. Man, I want my stick back!

Anyway. More pics and progress.
Essential tools.
The hatch is built. I moved my future fresh-water tank to the fender 'cause that was quite a bit of weight on the tongue. Roof rack complete. ammo box moved forward (but I don't know if it's staying). and the fenders are complete.
Fenders are just some old 8" C-channel from a steel building.
Ammo box for toilet paper and such (they're water-proof you know :worship: ) Fire extinguisher...
Temporary hatch prop!
After clearing out the dirt daubbers, my light was in working order.
front screen installed from the "little Mud bug".
Garage door springs now replace the temporary hatch prop.
receiver hitch added.

I'm working on the spare tire carrier in between the rain, and trying to button her up.
The finishing touches can come later.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Looking good

Postby Alfred » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Wow! That's looking good! Interesting using the garage door springs for the hatch. Great Progress!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:55 pm

I wanted to use the gas springs like everyone else, but those things are expensive. After it's finished, I've decided to use a torsion spring underneath the chassis with a cable system to lift the hatch. I don't like the way those springs show. They work really well though!!!!! I'll just use the weight rating and IPPT (garage door mechanic stuff.. Inch Pounds Per Turn) to convert those extensions to torsion.

If I walk away from my "square headed girlfriend" I may make some more progress. I've got a lot of catching up to do though.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:09 pm

I've been without the interweb tubes for a while, so I haven't updated.
The "stumble inn" works out for short trips, but it needs a few more things. She'll get me through deer season and I'll have it done in a few years:shock:. (Ships are a she. Are campers a she?)
Anyway, this is her, mostly completed. Deer campable, less curtains, but warm and cozy.
Total cost: 214.37 including the 97 cent paint and all of the caulk that I used. It would have ended up costing more, but the closer I got to this point, my friends started donating leftover household items (one even gave me a harvest gold paper towel rack to match my oven) Everyone would see the progress and bring me something that was just laying around. Heck, one of 'em gave me a porta-toilet that needed fiberglassed.

I'll have pictures of her at camp in two weeks. I never go to public lands on opening day, so that will be her official first trip.

Thanks for the inspiration guys/gals. I learned a lot and will be doing it again once this one is COMPLETE.
I've already been eyeballing other materials for my motorcycle build. :twisted:

Finishing takes forever!
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Congratulations!

Postby Alfred » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Man oh man, you sure you didn't leave a trailing zero off that $214(?), as mine ain't nothing fancy, but probably approaching a price tag of $2k...

That's a nice camper you've built, looks very warm and cozy, and I see a lot of comfortable camping weekends in your future! Send us pictures from the wild when you get it out in the woods! Congrats!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Will do! two weeks and counting.
I may have missed a few dollars, but I wrote everything down that I bought. (that I can remember).

One question guys. Where do you find baby moons these days?
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets