WWII Military Themed Off Road TD For My Jeep

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

WWII Military Themed Off Road TD For My Jeep

Postby WelshWrangler » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am

Hey Guys!

I copied my original post from the Newbie Introduction forum to the off road TD forum to say hello and post some pics of my new project.

I thought I would give everyone a quick hello! My Sam and I live near Swansea, South Wales, UK. I've been lurking around the website for the past year or so learning and being amazed by everyones teardrop builds and designs. I've always enjoyed camping but I'm looking for something a but more comfortable with out going to a full size caravan or camper yet!

I have two Jeep I use for shows and various events. The 1st Jeep is a 1995 Wrangler thats been modded for serious off road fun and my 2nd Jeep is a 1944 Willys MB.

I've been looking on and off for past couple of months for a suitable trailer/chassis to build a TD off road camper with a WWII Military theme that could be used behind either Jeep.

I've just bought a perfect donor trailer. Its a M416 trailer that has been refurbished and turned into a flat bed trailer. A perfect base for my 1st project. I will be removing the front tool box and jerry can holder so I have a completely flat platform to work on.

I would be interested to see or hear from anyone that has done a similar military themed TD?

Thanks

Sam
Last edited by WelshWrangler on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
WelshWrangler
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:44 pm

From the lack of replies I would guess there haven't been to many military themed TTTs. I've seen a couple around...

Nice looking trailer BTW. Be sure to post some pics of what you come up with.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Laredo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:04 pm

I did all the OD green I wanted thirty-odd years ago.

On the other hand, with that platform to start with (sure you want to pull off the toolbox? Looks like a great "tongue box" alternative to me), why not?

One of the members here used to have a tear that looked like it had come off a military base in his avatar, but I can't find that photo now.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Military theme Trailer

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey I am from the U.S. and thinking of building a military themed trailer myself, at least as far as the paint scheme and tires are concerned.
I am planning on using a galvanized steel boat trailer frame with a #3500 lb axle under it with shocks. Plan to build bigger than a tear drop. 12-14 ft long and tall enough to stand up it to change clothes. I have the trailer and some parts, I hope to start later this summer, would like it to look like a modern behind a Humvee type of unit. Keep in touch Bill [email protected]
Beavers are Naughty!
Wild Bill
The 300 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Whoa! I missed this bad boy thread. Put the word "Jeep" somewhere in your thread title and you can bet the calvary that loves them so much will find you. Nonetheless, your build will be an interesting one so please post those pics.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jeeper92 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:19 pm

hey! put the steering wheel on the right side of the car!!!!!! :lol:
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:32 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:hey! put the steering wheel on the right side of the car!!!!!! :lol:

Well... it is on the right side of the car... ah... but it's wrong ... er ah, ... i mean not that it's wrong being right ... no, what I'm saying is right is wrong and left is ... right. ? (huh?) no that's not right....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WelshWrangler » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:Whoa! I missed this bad boy thread. Put the word "Jeep" somewhere in your thread title and you can bet the calvary that loves them so much will find you. Nonetheless, your build will be an interesting one so please post those pics.

Scott G.

I've added Jeep into the subject body to see if I get anymore replies!
WelshWrangler
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:22 am

...first a question...how wide is it between fenders...how long from tool box to back end.................
...leave the tool box and jerry cans...adds to the "coolness" factor and will be VERY HANDY...keep the fender/wheels/tire combo for the same reason
...I would either stretch the frame in front of the axle or extend the frame and move the axle back...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Wright » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Jack, IIRC the interior width of a M-416 was 41" and length was 72". If this trailer wasn't modified when it was modified.
:duh:
I don't believe i typed that...
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Check out IH8Mud

Postby xrover » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Check out IH8Mud. They have a number of builds using different military trailers based on Sankey, M101, M4116 etc. Most guys put a rooftop tent on top as that gives you decent living space. It is a tent, however you are off the ground, and set up and put away are a snap allowing you to leave bedding and mattresses in place.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby boxcar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 am

Hi just another poor speller here. I am in the prosess of finnishing up an off road tear to be towed behind my 74 cj5 take a look at my album if you are interested. If I was to use that platform to build a teardrop I think I would look into softening the ride of the suspension a bit. so as not to destroy the coach due to a to ridged ride..... Good luck sounds like something I woud build....Boxcar
God Bless....
boxcar
Teardrop Master

Postby boxcar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 am

Hi just another poor speller here. I am in the prosess of finnishing up an off road tear to be towed behind my 74 cj5 take a look at my album if you are interested. If I was to use that platform to build a teardrop I think I would look into softening the ride of the suspension a bit. so as not to destroy the coach due to a to ridged ride..... Good luck sounds like something I woud build....Boxcar
God Bless....
boxcar
Teardrop Master

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets