Starting the design process of a 6x10 modular.

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Starting the design process of a 6x10 modular.

Postby charlesshoults » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm in the design process of a modular trailer. A little different than most, I'm designing a frame that can be used for a variety of purposes. The teardrop portion of it will be a shell that bolts down to the frame, but which can be supported on jacks to allow the frame to be driven out from under it.

The trailer will most likely be made from 2" square tube throughout with eight 2x4 sockets at various points and an aluminum treadplate deck. The axle will be a 3500# with a future option of disc brakes under the 30x9.5" tires on 15x8 wheels. I did some measuring today and the Jeep has a track width of 67.5" from the outside edge of the stock 225/70R15s. When I get my larger wheels and tires, I expect that to increase by about 1.5". The trailer that I've been borrowing is considerably wider, leaving tracks in the sand with a good 2" separation between it's tracks and mine. With that, I'm guessing it has to be somewhere around 20" wider than the Jeep. The trailer I'm designing has a 78" track width, which doesn't seem so bad.

The lateral tubes are 24" on center, making the useful length at 10' 2". The two running lengthwise are 48" on center.
I made the laterals at 24" so that I can order the treadplate in 24" x 48" sections and fit them with as little modification as possible. The outer edges are another story.
The sockets allow me to install a wooden box frame so that when hauling lumber or bricks, I'm not marring something I care about.

For the teardrop, I'm not sure if I'll build it to occupy the full 10' or not. At 5'8", I can sleep sideways and keep some space up front for a cargo box and jerry cans. I probably won't have much of a galley, if I have one at all, although I might change it up a little and put everything in slide-out side compartments. I'm thinking about just having one door on the back and not using side doors at all, making entry more like an APC than a teardrop, but I have time to work that out. The top does need to have a flat spot, or at least flat enough to allow me to attach my safari rack.
charlesshoults
Teardrop Inspector

Interior height

Postby charlesshoults » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 am

I don't imagine there are many of these things that you can stand up in, but unless you go for a pop-up design, what sort of interior height do you go for? How much crawling around do you want to do?

A pseudo-pop-up shell seems like a good idea, if the mechanics can be worked out. I think the Kimberley Karavan is a good looking design and I like the way it rises up, but at $67k - $76k, it's way more than I want.

charlesshoults
Teardrop Inspector

Updated pictures.

Postby charlesshoults » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 pm

Ok. I like the look of the Kimberley Karavan and am not opposed to the idea of a pop-up camper but don't want to deal with the canvas bits of folding and tucking, to get everything squared away. What I have in mind is a pop-up that is nearly all hard surfaces.

The camper shell is sitting on the 6' x 10' frame and hangs over a bit on front and back, making it an overall length of 13', plus the tongue. With it closed, the height of the box itself is about 3 1/2 feet and a little lower than the top of the Jeep. Rather than making the top flat like it is, I'll probably put a bow in it so that water can't stand on it. Then another window in the front center.

With it open, I have about 5 1/2 feet of headroom. I believe the travel is right at 20". I need to look at a couple campers and figure out how their opening mechanisms work with the steel cables and such. Alternatively, I can imagine a set of pneumatic rams, but that would be bulky. The walls of both upper and lower sections might be a bit thicker so that I can install aluminum Miter T-Tracks as guides for raising and lowering, using bolts and bump stops to set the upper and lower limit of travel. I haven't yet figured out how to make a reasonable air or dust seal between the two halves.

At the back is an upper and lower door. The lower half will have steps built in and the upper half will have a window in it. The door is 32" wide but could be narrower and I'll have cabinets along both sides. It could possibly have upper as well as lower cabinets, with the lower cabinets on tracks. Sliding forward to occupy the space used for the sleeping area prior to the top being lowered to close everything up.

charlesshoults
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Charles,

Check out the pop up here for more ideas...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ures1.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:52 am

So now to the inevitable question - What will you use for a lifting mechanism?

Off the top of my head, the options are:
Cables and pulleys
Hydraulics
Pneumatics
Torsion bars
Jacks (mechanical or otherwise)
Gas struts
Lots of pushing and straining
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Jacks

Postby charlesshoults » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:12 am

I'm leaning toward a pneumatic ram linked to scissor jacks.
charlesshoults
Teardrop Inspector

Movable Axle

Postby charlesshoults » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:40 pm

I know that I saw a picture of one on here somewhere, but I can't find it now. I did some thinking this morning, and a movable axle cradle makes too much sense not to try it.
I have to drive to Oklahoma on Friday and back on Tuesday. While I'm there, I'm going to see if I can do some axle hunting. Tractor Supply used to stock trailer axles right on the shelf. If I can pick up a 3500# axle without having to pay shipping, I'll be more than happy to buy it.

If I can get my axle, then I can drive to Scottsbluff and pick up some of the steel for the cradle and frame.
charlesshoults
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Movable Axle

Postby wlivesey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 pm

charlesshoults wrote:I know that I saw a picture of one on here somewhere, but I can't find it now. I did some thinking this morning, and a movable axle cradle makes too much sense not to try it.
I have to drive to Oklahoma on Friday and back on Tuesday. While I'm there, I'm going to see if I can do some axle hunting. Tractor Supply used to stock trailer axles right on the shelf. If I can pick up a 3500# axle without having to pay shipping, I'll be more than happy to buy it.

If I can get my axle, then I can drive to Scottsbluff and pick up some of the steel for the cradle and frame.

I bought all my chassis parts off the shelf from Northern Tool & Equipment. I figured that way I might have a better chance of finding a replacement part on the road if I have to.

I really like this design. Keep us posted!
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Breakinstuffzfun » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 am

starting building yet?
Breakinstuffzfun
Teardrop Inspector

Off road tear almost ready

Postby boxcar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 am

Hre we have an almost finished version of the teardrop american I converted to an off roader To be towed behind my jeeps.ImageImage
God Bless....
boxcar
Teardrop Master

Postby Breakinstuffzfun » Thu May 27, 2010 1:28 am

looking forward to how this is going to come out!

Breakinstuffzfun :twisted:
Breakinstuffzfun
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets