Zelix trailer build [Phase II]

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Overkill!

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:28 am

WoW, and I thought my frame was overkill! That frame would "win" should it ever collide with a train!

One thing that looks "less than optimum" is the attachment of the tongue to just that one transverse piece. With the thickness of the tubing you've used you're probably just fine, but I think that extending the tongue under the trailer to another cross member would add considerable strenght and lesson the stress on welds. I've built a couple of trailers and I've always connected the tongue to two crossmembers. See album.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: Overkill!

Postby zelix » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:35 pm

eamarquardt wrote:WoW, and I thought my frame was overkill! That frame would "win" should it ever collide with a train!

One thing that looks "less than optimum" is the attachment of the tongue to just that one transverse piece. With the thickness of the tubing you've used you're probably just fine, but I think that extending the tongue under the trailer to another cross member would add considerable strenght and lesson the stress on welds. I've built a couple of trailers and I've always connected the tongue to two crossmembers. See album.

Cheers,

Gus

Yeah, It's not exactly finished yet. I've been thinking of how to 'up grade' it. I'll add some pieces on the tongue and make a nice area for hauling firewood and supplies. I don't really do much in the way of curbside camping. I go for the real primitive rural camping.

I'm considering making a 'camper' to slide into the back of the trailer. Like a convertible teardrop.... load the camper for the trip and unload when i'm using for hauling dirt and whatnot. :thumbsup:
zelix
Teardrop Master

Zelix Trailer Build PHASE II

Postby zelix » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:14 am

Ok... I'm kicking the project into phase II

I've been thinking and debating over what I need and want in a trailer. I've decided on going with the Roof Top Tent. I do more of a off roading type camping.

I've contacted and worked out a deal with fellow forum member schaney from Compact Camping Concepts http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com/ to get the canvas part of the tent. I will build the platform, interior structure, and ladder.

I'm also building a cage type effect to put the RTT on. I am currently working out the details. My inspiration is from this trailer I saw:

zelix
Teardrop Master

Zelix Trailer Phase II

Postby zelix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 am

One last look at the ole girl in the Phase I stage. This is the last camping trip I was on:

........................................................................................................
So I got my tent sides the other day. I also bought the steel needed.

I got the tent from a fellow forum member schaney with compact camping concepts. http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com/. He was a great to work with and got me a really good deal.

a pict of the steel and new EMT bender:

first 1/2 of the tent base perimeter steel:
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:43 am

Looks like you're off to a good start.

For some additional inspiration, here is a picture of a similar setup one of my customers built.

Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby zelix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:06 am

schaney wrote:Looks like you're off to a good start.

For some additional inspiration, here is a picture of a similar setup one of my customers built.

Thanks! Man that looks cool. I'm slowly making it happen. My biggest hurdle is getting the base done so I can get the 'tent pole' sizes figured out.

My plan is to get the perimeter steel done. Get the tent mounted to that. Then I'll bend up the poles and get the size [hopefully] right.

Thanks again schaney for you inspiration and help without it I wouldn't be able to make this project happen. :thumbsup:
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby zelix » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:43 am

The base perimeter steel is done

here's a picture of my hinge. I have both sets made.. yeah they aren't pretty....but they are strong.

here's how I made the corners of the base steel. Bent so that they wont rub the fabric.

I have a few more odds and ends to pick up to get this RTT completed.... I have the steel already so I will work on the 'cage' for the trailer.
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby zelix » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 am

So last nite I got the hinges bolted to the base platform frame.

Here's the tent on the platform. It fit [which was a relief]. I have a few extra inches on play to be exact. I think this might be taken up when the poles are in place.

One concern of mine is... what holds the poles in place? I climbed under and looked at the tent interior. I was wondering how the poles keep from falling down.

I noticed in other tents this 'strapping' type of effect going on.

It's an interesting [to me] and fun build so far. I've been racking my brain thinking of the best and most economical way to do things.
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby zelix » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:40 am

I've been working on the RTT this weekend. Here's where it stands if anyone is interested.

I still have a ways to go.. will go int more detail if anyone is interested.
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby zelix » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:23 am

Close to completion. Check it out:

zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby Tadlan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 pm

So...yeah...that is pretty sweet. :)
Tadlan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby zelix » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:21 am

So I made a few more mods to the trailer... in case if anyone is following or wondering.

Who doesn't like a nice campfire? I decided I needed to build a firewood box.

the firewood box complete and loaded.

Here's the trailer about ready to roll. I had to get a bigger canvas tarp for the RTT.

My free ice chest barely fits...You can pack some serious food and beverages in there.

New propane holder... I have to work on the tie down system on this

Here it is in use... Some backwoods camping.
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 pm

It looks like you did really, really good! Also, with your tent up in the air, it will be harder some critters to get in. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Nice to see it out camping. You are missing one accessory, our new t-shirt, for those people asking about that crazy tent up in the air on your trailer.

:D
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets