New Member: Ready to order trailer and would love input

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

New Member: Ready to order trailer and would love input

Postby bytehoven » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Greetings Everyone...

I am new to the T&TTT and have enjoyed searching and reading thru a number of the forums.

I am contemplating a utility trailer build/design that would mimic a pick up truck camper, in that I would like to be able to drive the utility trailer out from under the Expedition POD. I intended to use the trailer for traditional work chores as well as Camping.

My tow vehicle is a 09 Grand Cherokee, 4.7 V8 with Quadra Drive II, 265/60R18 Wrangler Silent Armor AT tires and an Air Lift 1000 system in the rear for adjusting tongue weight sag. So I will be somewhat limited in my degree of trail difficulty, which is OK.

My Jeep has a 6500 lb gross towing weight rating but I don't plan to come anywhere near that with my final gross towing weight.

OK... so here are the concept specs for the base trailer.

5x8 steel-side A frame utility trailer
- 12" steel sides
- matching 12" steel-side gate
- 4' landscaping gate
- pressure treated wood floor
- 3500 lb GVWR axle with over slung set up from factory
- (4) leaf suspension
- electric brakes
- interchangeable bolt on coupler (2 5/16" ball & Pintle hoop)
- 2000 lb top wind jack
- full DOT lighting & 7 pin hook up
- 5 x 4.5 lug pattern (5x5 optional)
- 205R/75R15 tires ( I could run bigger but not sure I want to just yet)
- matching spare
- 700 lb trailer weight

I discussed the option of bolting on the fenders so a future tire size & fender mod would be easier.

Some additional factory install ideas for the trailer build.

- Diamond plate platform welded over the A frame from the tub front to the jack stand.
- Diamond plate running boards from the front/rear body corners angled out to meet the outside fender edges.
- 2" receiver hitch on rear of trailer
- pre-cut tie down locations ready for hardware install

- Color Choices (black, equipment yellow, grey, red, regatta blue, tractor green and white)

My tow vehicle is a Stone White. I'm not sure I would go with a white trailer, but... Let me know your thoughts on color choice. Black sure is east to repaint down the road.

I'd love to hear if you favor a specific brake controller for off-road use.

May I say my local trailer guy has become as excited as me regarding this project. I hope to put my order in on Monday with an early December delivery.

I welcome your comments and feedback on my base trailer build to help me get this project off on a good foundation.
bytehoven
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:53 pm

I think truck pick up campers in the shape of a TD have been discussed on the forum before. I don't have a link handy...

It's a good idea. But of course, to really help you, we'd need to see the plan.

Have you sketched it up? Take a pic of your sketch and post it in you album so we can see it.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bytehoven » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Mike...

My vision for the POD construction is still fluid. I have been reading many of the forums segments, adsorbing the various creative approaches other members have taken on their builds.

I'm thinking my build will focus primarily on smartly hauling gear and providing quarters via a RTT or ground based tent. Very much a tradition expedition trailer approach.

For now I am focused on getting the base trailer right, so it's a sound foundation for moderate off-road travel as well as standard utility trailer duty. So I welcome any comments regarding changes in the trailer setup I should consider.

I will post a "next phase" thread when I have sorted out my form/function thoughts for the Expedition POD.
bytehoven
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:13 am

bytehoven, I'm a big fan of and build camping trailers using the "Tent Topped" approach.

The most basic multi-purpose approach is mounting a RTT on a trailer so it's easily removed for other duties. Then making some sort of a Drifta like kitchen / campbox setup.

Pickup bed trailer also work nicely.

The other approach is building a dedicated camping trailer box that is removable, although still using a folding Tent Unit for sleeping quarters. I prefer doing this on a flat bed trailer.

Before having the trailer frame built, IMHO it would be benefical to have a "plan". That way it gets built "right".

If you're going to have the frame custom built, have the track width made the same as your tow vehicle. Also, at minimum match the tow vehicles lug pattern, so you only need to carry one spare. I would also match the tire size.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby bytehoven » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks Shaney

Thanks for the trailer suggestions.

My evolving vision for the build up will be along the lines of the trailers you have referenced.

Due to the need to provide sleeping space for (2) adults, (3) kids and (1) large dog I have ruled out the use of a RTT in the near term, in favor of pitching a larger ground based tent.

However, I would like to have the E-POD feature many of the compartmentalized functions demonstrated on the various trailers I have seen. But I do need to figure out a final set up that provides a balance of function and storage capability.

Are you aware of a collection of floor plans for the expedition style trailers you referenced?

A few of the main concerns for my trailer where:

- should I consider a 5000 lb axle? I see many TDT builders struggle to go to a 3500 lb axle over a 2000 lb axle, so choosing a 5000 lb would be even harder to imagine. However, my reasoning was to provide the trailer with some enhanced "Bug Out" load carrying capability. I have decided to stick with the 3500 lb axle.

- track, tire size and lug configuration? I had not considered the axle track and I will review that option. An axle track tweak would solve any rubbing issues of running a larger tire with a wider cross section. I also understand your suggestion regarding matching the trailer wheel lug pattern and tires size to the tow vehicle. I've seen good arguments from both sides of this discussion. Given that my tow vehicle could change at any time, I felt the very popular 5x4.5 lug size would make a future wheel/tire choice easier and cheaper to do.

Thanks again for your post.

RJ
bytehoven
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:15 pm

RJ, yes you need a bit of sleeping space, your could go the "two bedroom" route, (two RTTs) although that would notably add to the expense.

Since I designed and built all the above pictured trailers I have info an them. You will find a complete build story on the third and fourth pictured trailer at Explorer Pod

I call the trailer in the fifth and sixth pictures an Explorer Box. I've actually written a detailed construction manual on building one. Check it out at Explorer Box.

On my web-site I also have a collection of interesting trailers that will most likely spark ideas at Interesting Compact Campers

My rule of thumb is to have the axle 2X my planned GVW. Where a 5K axle might help is with the bigger bearings if you're running big off-set rims and heavy tires (33"+).

Yes, carrying an extra spare isn't a big deal. If someone plans on keeping a vehicle for a while, I finding matching the lug pattern to be a good idea.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby bytehoven » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks for the link to your website. There are some nice trailer ideas for inspiration.

The thing about going with the 5k axle, I could remove a leaf for normal use, but have the ability to put the leaf back in for a heavy load demand. I have to ask if the utility trailer I had specified can handle a 5k load.
bytehoven
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Keep in mind, axle and spring rating can be tuned separately. As an example on a normal Explorer Box they have a 1000 lb GVW, so I use springs tuned for a 900 lb axle load and a 2K axle. When I bump the Explorer Pod up to 235-15s, I'll switch out the 2K axle for a 3.5K one. It's springs can be tuning for 1000 - 1400 lb load.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby bytehoven » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:48 am

I placed my order for the trailer today.

NNT North Newton Trailer MFG

5x8 Silver Eagle
- A frame with all tubular construction
- 24" steel side with matching gate
- 3500 lb EZ Lube axle
- SOA - spring over axle
- Dual eye leaf suspension
- 10" electric brakes with breakaway
- 205/75R15 C load tires
- 5 on 4.5 hub
- matching spare
- carriage bolt mounted fenders for easier future fender mods
- interchangeable coupler (2" Ball & Pintle)
- 7 pin harness with Hotwire support
- 2" pressure treated 2x6 floor
- 2" receiver hitch on rear of trailer
- black

I should have the trailer the 1st or 2nd week of December. I will post pictures.
bytehoven
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets