Destruction of an offroad trailer

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Destruction of an offroad trailer

Postby Slag » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Well, I took my trailer out for its first off road trip this weekend. I thought that I had over built the trailer. I was wrong. We had a few catastrophic failures :lol:

To be fair, I didn't plan on abusing the trailer as badly as I did. We came around a tight corner at night an in the rain. I was being super careful, but did not see that the trail had washed out, leaving a 2 - 2.5 foot ledge. I dropped my front tires over it. Tried to reverse out of it, but couldn't get any traction in the mud. I eased the trailer over it, turned around, and came back up. That was where I went wrong.

I somehow managed to bend 2 wheels, rip the leaf springs out of one side, dislodge the a/c, and bend my tongue upwards 5 or so inches :cry:

We limped it in to camp like this and decided to wait until morning to repair it. I had 90% of the tools that I needed, and the others in the group had everything else.

The trailer is a Northern Tool 5x8 that I reinforced with square tube. I left the suspension alone since I really only planned on dirt roads and easy trails. Now I have an excuse (need) to beef it up. The trailer weighs around 1k loaded.

We got the suspension back together after about an hour and used a ratchet strap to secure the a/c. New tires were bought at Tractor Supply. The tongue just stayed bent for the remainder of the trip.

There is good news about the trailer! It is water tight! We had lots of rain and plenty of big puddles to drive through, yet the interior stayed dry :thumbsup: Temps were in the 30's and we had no complaints while sleeping.

I have another trip in 3 weeks, so I have to get busy!

Here are a few pics of the trail and trailer.

Water Everywhere!!

The trail...

The trailer in disrepair...

Slag
Teardrop Inspector

Good Grief!

Postby Alfred » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Good Grief!

Well, at least its waterproof and you are on the road to repair and upgrade. Hang in there and send more pix as you make progress!

AL in Asheville
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Slag » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:00 pm

New V tongue is going on this weekend. I am still pondering what to do with the suspension. I have a set of very soft leaf springs from Calmini that I may put on, and will probably add a shock as well.

I have already purchased a new 3500lb axle, and went 12in wider so I can use an old set of Jeep wheels with 35" tires :twisted:
Slag
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets