Pacific NorthWest build, Fender clearance question 2/27/2010

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Pacific NorthWest build, Fender clearance question 2/27/2010

Postby grubbr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey all, finnally got our build underway, but am having second thoughts about axle to frame clearance and tire to fender clearance. We went with a 3500lb axle, and lighter springs, 2000lb, axle mounted over the springs. That configuration leave about 5 in of clearance between the frame and axle? Doe anyone have any concerns that it should be more? How about the tire to fender clearance, it is set up for 3 in on each side and 4" from top of tire to fender? Any thought on that ammount of clearance? Our driving habits are deffinately off road, our tow rig is a jeep wrangler, but I am not out to tear anything up or go rock crawling, so I drive pretty slow and mild off roading I guess, which is kinda what we were building for. Pics below. Comments, ideas and experience is most welcome!
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64582[img]
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64583[/img]
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64584[img]
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64584[/img]
Thanks,
Ron
US Navy, Retired
"Trust, but Verify". Ron Regan
grubbr
Teardrop Inspector

Pacific NorthWest build, Axle to Frame clearance 2/27/2010

Postby grubbr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Sorry, forgot to put a pic of the Axle to frame clearance in the last post. Again, second guessing myself, but now that I am looking at the clearance it just does not look like much. I don't have much trailer experience. So looking for some advice.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64592[img]
Thanks,
Ron[/img]
US Navy, Retired
grubbr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:22 pm

The 5" should be fine. The fender clearance would depend on how heavy you tailer ends up being. With 5" of travel in the axle the is a chance the tire could hit the fenders.

You may want to wait to mount the fenders until you get the trailer built so you can see how much the spring settle with all of the weight on it. Also you could put a rubber bump stop on the the frame above the axle to limit the axle travel if you need too.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Clearance

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:24 pm

I doubt that you will ever bottom out the axle on the frame. What I plan on doing is finishing the teardrop, loading it up up with a standard load, and then mounting the fenders so there is equal spacing between the tire and fender all the way around. IE concentric. Currently a short piece of 4X4 (3.5 inches) holding the fender above the tire looks about right.

If you are worried about bottoming out and hitting the tire on the inside of the fender you could put some rubber bumpers on the frame right above the axle as a stop. This would prevent the tire from rubbing on the inside of the fender if you should bottom out on occasion.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Gus, our minds must think alike....

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Deep Bandini!

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 pm

rainjer wrote:Gus, our minds must think alike....

Jeremy

You are in deep Bandini now. :lol: I must have been typing as you were posting. Our posts were within two minutes of one another.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Fender clearence

Postby boxcar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 pm

Now this is from a long time fabricator, Jeep owner and offroader.The first job I ever had as a fabricator was as a trailer builder. If your Jeep (or tow vehical) I gotta be PC here. is Stock (not lifted) your present configuration in regards to the axle will work. Mesure axle to frame clearence and add 1 " for tire groath (MUD) and that will give you a fairly good location for your fender height. If your Jeep (tow rig) is lifted I recomend you "SOA" the axle. Try to match your tongue height to your hitch height so you wont need a drop stinger (or as we like to say in the offroad world the PLOW) Remember the trailer should have the same ground clearence as the tow rig. SOA'd axle- ( Spring over) 5" is a good fender clearence. Your trailer looks greatc. When you get it done gimy a haller . I'd love to go Wheelin with ya!!!!! Boxcar... Astoria Oregon ps:
Here is my trailer
7" fender clearence (better safe than sorry) By the way I think the quote was " there is a right way, a wrong way, and the NAVY way" ex Navy Team #1
God Bless....
boxcar
Teardrop Master

Pacific NorthWest build started, Fender pic update 4/27/2010

Postby grubbr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 pm

Everyone thanks for the inputs. I decided go ahead and hang the fenders where they are for right now because I want to get the trailer inspected and registered now, just to get that monkey off my back. I need to take the fenders off anyway to build the sides and then we can load it out fully and see how it looks, while kinda bouncing it up and down. I can spread these fenders a little more and raise them also if needed. All I did was tack weld the brackets on, nothing that a grinder and little more welding can't fix if I need to move the brackets.
Here is a pic of the off road trailer hitch/coupler I bought. Got the idea from someone on this off road forum, it's called a "lock and roll", pricey, but its made in a America and its a pretty damn good product. If you have questions or need a contact for it let me know. Here is a pic of the trailer hitched up to the jeep, headed for town and an inspection and one of the hitch.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64645[img]
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=64645
I will keep posting more on the build journal site. Plus I have pics in the photo album. Thanks for all the help Ron :D [/img]
PS - BOXCAR, thats a great looking tear drop and looks pretty off road worthy. Nice fab job on the tubing!
US Navy, Retired
grubbr
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets