provisions to carry a set of mud tires?

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

provisions to carry a set of mud tires?

Postby Yuri4x4 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 am

I'm trying to find a solution to a problem:
I want to build a tear, but would like to be able to haul stuff in it... namely, four 35x12.50 Super Swampers on beadlocks.

Right now, I run a complete seperate set of tires for 'everyday' and 'off-road'. For shorter trips, I'll just run the mud tires and be done with it. But I plan on heading to Moab, UT with the TD in tow behind my Jeep, and would rather run my street tires for the trip, yet change when I get out there. (I have air tools, and a compressor on my Jeep, so the tire change only takes a few minutes) Is there anything wrong with rolling-up the mattress and throwing the tires inside the tear? My concern would be: What to do AFTERWARDS, when the tires are muddy.

Or how about this: Use a utility trailer with 13" (or so) high side rails, then build a floor on top of the rails. That way, there's room underneath to haul firewood, my tires, etc. I've looked around the site for a while now, but haven't stumbled across anyone who has done something like that.
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby jamscal » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:07 am

I'm sure they make large plastic bags that would fit over the dirty tires.
jamscal
Teardrop Builder

Postby firemaniac » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:35 am

One option would be rather than having a tongue box, build a tire rack on the front.

Is the plan for a trail tear, or a base camp?
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:46 am

Receiver hitch on the front of the Jeep with a removable tire rack might be an option.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Yuri4x4 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:06 am

Base camp.

Although, you guys are inspiring me to build it a little 'tougher' in case I want to camp further-out in the boondocks... But before now, I was just planning to camp at campgrounds. :R
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 pm

jamscal wrote:I'm sure they make large plastic bags that would fit over the dirty tires.

Any tire shop has them for the folks that want to keep their take offs.

Ask nice they might just give ya a couple ! Of course the monster 7 mil heavy duty leaf bags are everywhere!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jss06 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:25 pm

I like the idea of building a tire rack instead of a tonge box on the front of the trailer. that way you can stop and sleep if you need to onthe long road trip.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby hugh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm

how about something like this idea. Make your trailer anywhere between 8 and 10' long and 5' high and 5'wide. at the rear set your 4 tires side by side, they will take up just over 4 1/2' of space wide and around 3' of height. In other words a tire rack at the rear. then make the cabin part of the trailer designed so as to have a step at the last 3 ' so the tires will always be outside. Plus if the trailer was say 10 feet long you would still have 7 ' of interior room with an extra 3 'of length at its back end with a 2' high area, good for storage. Basically I,m saying put the super swampers on the back cause them suckers are heavy :shock:
Here's a picture of the trailer I made for off road use, it uses a 6' wide 3500lb axle with electric brakes and is spring over on 31"tires. It is only 8' long and with the 45 degree angle up at the back will go up or down at least a 45 degree ledge of around 4 to 5 ' of height without dragging anywhere. The width and height are approx 5' 2" which allows me to almost stand up and the width allows the wife and I some sleeping room. The bed is at the height of the 45 degree tilt at the back, about a 1 1/2' high and is 6' long. I prefer BFG,s for my rig so a dedicated set of off road tires wasn't necessary.
Another possibility would be to build a rack on top of a teardrop shape, most people here seem to build their teardrops 4' high for the aerodynamic look and mostly used for sleeping in.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby Yuri4x4 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't know that a tongue rack would work... Swampers on steel beadlocks probably weigh almost 100lb each! That's 400 lb of pure tongue weight! That just wouldn't work.

This wouldn't be an every-day thing... just a special occasion when there would be a lot of highway miles involved. If it was just a weekend trip, I'll swap tires at home beforehand. But I do plan on taking a Moab trip and/or Colorado... maybe even the Rubicon. Instead of building some elaborate contraption, maybe I'll just design the teardrop so that the doors and/or kitchenette hatch is large enough to squeeze a large tire through. Maybe I'll even do some sort of tie-downs under the mattress to keep them from bouncing around inside the trailer. Any 'contraption' I make is just going to take away from that 'look' we all love. :thumbsup:

Keep It Simple (S____)

That said, I'm going to need to build heavy-duty... 3500lb axle and trailer brakes at the minimum.
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby deepmud » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Maybe build a high-ish deck/floor on the trailer - and make room to put them underneath?

Junkyard spare-tire winches from some suv to drag them in place and hold them up against the frame?
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemaniac » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:26 am

The gears were turning last night! :thinking:
If you are building a custom frame you could include four 2" receivers at strategic locations on the sides of the frame, and build matching hitch mount spare holders to carry the tires. Sure this will widen the trailer, but unless you are building a 5 wide, it still shouldn't be much wider than the Jeep.

Put 1 pair on each side after the axle and the second pair before the axle, that would balance the weight, however you will have to remove at least one of the front holders to access the inside of the cabin, but at camp this shouldn't be a problem, as all the street tires can be stacked and locked for security.
When the extra tires aren't needed leave the carriers at home and you still have a handy place to mount accessories at camp.
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby Yuri4x4 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 pm

I've really been thinking about the 'raised floor' idea...
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby Yuri4x4 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 pm

I've really been thinking about the 'raised floor' idea...
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby deepmud » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:20 am

maybe build a spine to the frame, down the center? so there is room on the sides for tires? This might work well with torsion springs...hmm...
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Postby boxcar » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:57 am

How about a roof rack?
God Bless....
boxcar
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets