Need HELP from off-roaders

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Need HELP from off-roaders

Postby Ageless » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:26 pm

I have 2008 Ford Ranger 4X4. Came with Goodyear Wranglers. I do not do extreme offroading but put in a lot of miles on dirt, gravel, mud tracks in search of pretty rocks. The Goodyears have been prone to rock cuts and I have been forced to replace 2 of them due to this failure.

The question is, without draining the piggy bank; what is a good all-purpose tire that is more resistant to these failures? The remaining two tires; one has been patched due to this problem, have 38,000 miles so will need replacing some time this year.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:56 pm

About $80 each, but maybe not so all purpose.... :lol:

Brand Coker Tire
Manufacturer's Part Number 643529
Part Type Tires
Product Line Coker Firestone Military Tires
Summit Racing Part Number COK-643529

Tire Size 600-16
Wheel Diameter 16 in.
Sidewall Style Blackwall
Tire Construction Bias-ply
Directional No
Tire Diameter 28.30 in.
Section Width 6.70 in.
Tread Width 5.30 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width 4.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width 5.00 in.
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern No
DOT-Approved Yes
Tube Required Yes
Tread Ply Quantity 4
Quantity Sold individually.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 pm

WOW...didn't know those were still sold...by anyone...should have known Coker would...down here, before the "swamper"(or CO-OP) style tires showed up, the 9.00X16 version of those tires were real popular with the serious mud eatin' crowd...................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby MikeW » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Have restored many military vehicles and the only way I would run these would be on a restored vehicle and just for aesthetics. These are down right dangerous in packed snow/ice and not much good on wet hard surfaces. Ok in the mud though. We used to joke that they called these non-directional tires because you didn't have any directional control.

The first time with these on snow was in a 1954 3/4 ton Dodge M37. Idling along the road at about 10 mph, wouldn't touch anything and the back end would just break loose and I would shoot into the ditch. Once into soft snow they would grab and I could climb back onto the road, another 1/4 mile and it would do the same thing, always carried chains after that. The 6x6 was a little better but still not great in the snow (have fun when you get one of those stuck!) :lol:

Some of the toys with NDT shoes on them

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/m ... re_041.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/m ... re_036.jpg

*EDIT* pics edited because they are too large...please use a site such as www.tinypic.com and keep them in the 640x480pix size...thank you, MJ
MikeW
Teardrop Builder

Postby Yota Bill » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 am

the BF Goodrich A/T T/A is a good all terrain tire, and will last a long time...not the best in snow and slush though, or really even mud for that matter

The Nitto tera grappler is also a good A/T tire. works very well off road, but again, not so good for mud or anything that will clog the treads (you'll get that with any A/T tire though, really)

The Yokohama Geolander is another good A/T tire...again, not so good in mud

rock rash is something even the toughest of tires will have a problem with (I've had to replace a few TSL Boggers because of rock tears), sounds like you probably need to air down so the tires will flex more around the rocks, rather then being ripped into. You could go to a mud terrain tire, which obviously will give you more bite in the mud (due to self cleaning), and better life in the rocks due to thicker treads and more open area between the treads, but they will suffer on pavement (noisy and more wear)
Yota Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby jss06 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:54 am

I am running the Michellin LTX AT/2 on my Wrangler. They did great up in Colorado this year. Nice and quiet on road with good wet weather traction. They were steller in the snow we had down here last winter. I have not had them on ice or thick mud so I can't speak to their ability there. The tread has a lot of sipping so it should do good on ice as well. I have put about 15K miles on these and there is not a lot of noticable wear.

The only down side is the $$. They are not cheap.

jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:08 am

Ageless
I tend to trust Tire Rack www.tirerack.com and their ratings and multiple customer responses and bought a set of Michelin Hydroedge as a result. Also picked up a set of Bridgestone Blizzak on rims (great snow/ice tires) after checking ratings. I happen to like Bridgestone and have been using them since the 70's.
One of the problems of asking for opinions is that you will get them :roll: and that is qualitative and isolated. It is only when you get lots of information that it starts becoming significant statistically. I was biased to Bridegstone and against Michilelin because I had a Michilelin tire blow out at 80mph on a Detroit freeway many years ago and have not had any problems with Bridegstone's ever. The Hydroedge do VERY well in rain and they reportedly last a long time, the Blizzack's are truly awesome in snow and on ice (we have both right now).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Yuri4x4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:One of the problems of asking for opinions is that you will get them :roll: and that is qualitative and isolated. It is only when you get lots of information that it starts becoming significant statistically...

Ain't THAT the truth!

My street tires are Yokohama Geolander ATS's. They've only been on for a few months, so my experience is limited. But I can tell you that they worked very well this last snowstorm, and seem to ride on the street well, without any extra noise. I don't know how they'ld do off-road, tho. (I have another set of Super Swampers for off-roading).
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby KenC » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Try this link below, Treadwright, I'm running 265/70/17's on my 4runner and just picked up a pair for my teardrop

https://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx
KenC
Donating Member

Postby TwistedXT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:48 pm

ive been wheeling for the past 12 years - hard - here in colorado in the rocky mountains. i second the option listed above for the BFG AT KM's.. great traction off road, and in the snow. they have a lip to save the lip of the rim if you get into the deep rocks, and the sidewalls are really thick. the wear is nice and even! and seem to last for a long time. i only got rid of mine when my jeep got bigger and i needed bigger tires.... i now run goodyear duratrax in 33x12.50r15 and loving them so far - no "chunking yet" - the bfg's were run hard and not once showed any sign of "chunking" or tearing. for a daily driver - ride quality and noise - the BFG's are your ticket! 100% :thumbsup:
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby woytovich » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm

Consider Goodyear MTRs...
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby TheOgre88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 pm

BFGoodrich All-terrain I have run BFGoodrich for years they last long and don't get damaged from rocks or stumps I run the KM2's on my Samurai
TheOgre88
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets