Lil Sport Build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Lil Sport Build

Postby Jeeper92 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Hello all,
Well Ive been a member here for a few years and have started and sold turned over a few trailers and now Im building my own offroad trailer. I have attached several pictures. I am asking for you help in my construction of my lid. I cant build with metal soooo thats out. I would like to build in wood and have seen some of the things you all have created so i figured Id pick your brains. What are your suggestions? It needs to open? type of hinges? Water proof? also must be strong enough to hold my roof top tent with my fat tush in it. I have a ttached sevral pics of the trailer from different angles so any and all ideas will be considered........thanks in advance
This is fromt the front this will give you and idea of the width
This is how it sits today on new rims and freshly painted.
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Judeyramone » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:04 pm

3/4" ply with "joists" should do it easily - just like the floor in your house. Depending on your weight, I think you could get away with 1x3 frame, 3/4 ply on top, and a "skirt" board around the perimeter & a piano hinge screwd into the bottom of your tube rails & the bottom of the skirt board. You could make the frame the same size as your steel perimeter & put weatherstripping on top of the 1" square tube to seal it up. All very clear in my head. I could do drawings if you're confused.

Better yet, it might be worthwhile to have a welder make a steel frame from 1" square tube, that matches the dimension of your trailer. Once again, weatherstrip between the two mating surfaces, and 3/4" ply on top. You should be able to hire the steel framework out for under $150, easily. Weld-on hinges are available, and I'd suspect 3 on one side of a steel frame should do the trick with no trouble.
Judeyramone
Teardrop Master

Drawings?

Postby Jeeper92 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Drawings would be awesome and greatly appreciated. I want to do it all in wood, no metal.
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby parnold » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm confused, the trailer doesn't look big enough to put a tent on top of and sleep. Am I reading it wrong?

I would make a lid similar to a shoe box top so there is an overhang to help minimize water penetration.
parnold
Donating Member

Rooftop Tent

Postby Jeeper92 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Its a fold out rooftop tent that will be going on top
Jeeper92
500 Club

Ok

Postby Jeeper92 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:57 am

I finally have a day where I can work outside on the trailer. I bought two fenders from harbor freight and I was wondering ow the heck do ya mount them to hte side of a trailer (see pic of trailer above)
I have a couple of ideas but Im not sure which is the right way to go about doing it.

Also im really having trouble designing hte lid...........it needs to be able to open up and hold the weight of a rooftop tent. Any suggestions???

Thanks guys
Jeeper92
500 Club

Here she is,

Postby Jeeper92 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Ready to camp, I will be getting a metal top fabricated in the near future and ill be adding electric and water
but for now this will get us camping, the tent sleeps 4 and we have an "annex" that will hold a cot
Jeeper92
500 Club

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets