The ROAM Camper Build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

The ROAM Camper Build

Postby titanpat57 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

First off I'd like to say a special and heart felt thank you to all those who came before, took the time to document their ideas and builds, and spent countless hours and numerous talents fine tuning many of the methods applied in the creation of the ROAM. It is much apprecciated.

The ROAM (Recreation Optimized All-terrain Module) is my second attempt at a trailer build. The first was smaller, lighter, and lacked a brake axle....but was a really fun platform, so that's what I based this build off.

The project was started in mid April of 2010, and was taken out for the maiden voyage at the end of October the same year. The interior still needs some finish, as does the electrical system, but spring is right around the corner, and I'll be buying some wainscoating soon to pre-finish for the interior...but it been a welcomed break. There are already several early trips planned....I mean hell, how are going to work the bugs out?

The trailer started out its beginnings as a military generator platform, known as the M116A2, rated for 3/4 of a ton, or a total payload of 2750 pounds, which is what the finish weight will top out. The military axle was swapped out with a new Dexter, 3" dia. with brakes. I ordered 6 x 5.5 pattern, but my problem was that my Toyota 4Runner Trail has hub centric rims, not lug centric. In a quick synopsis, that translates into the wheel lines up with a "raised rim" that sticks out form the drum. In almost all cases your lug nuts center your wheel when tightend, but not in this case. That meant I had to buy a product called Spidertrax, that converts lug centric to hub centric. This build criteria was that the wheels on the trailer have to match the wheels on the tow vehicle.....I know, I know....it's not a news flash I have issues, so that said let the pictures begin

These are mostly the tongue modifications to accmodate the Max Coupler...an awesome multi-axis coupler...

I never did get real good at welding...but man I nailed the grinding part down...

Last edited by titanpat57 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 pm

And here are some more....I found Google Sketch Up to be invaluable for designing parts, and providing exact measurements.

and you can have all the tools in the world.....

but never the right one when you need it...

I really, really struggled with the welding in the beginning...but it got a bit better once I got some tips.
Last edited by titanpat57 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 am

from what I can see in your drawings this will be a good one to follow
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby 86 slo-vo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:33 am

it looks good, keep up the work.
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks guys!

I also welded a new rear bumper, with a 2" reciever and the original tow hooks. The drop foot jacks are designed to slide into the ends of the bumper and be pinned in. The front jack is welded on and will be concealed in the nose box.

I also had to figure out the tailight brakets....these were important because they add some support to the rear wall against lateral forces

All the rough metal framing is complete...time to flip it and get to work on the bottom.

So we flipped it..5 guys..real scary, but no one got hurt! I powerwashed it, installed the new axle, built a spare tire carrier, and applied a single stage black paint. I figured while she was on her back I'd run some of the power too!

THEN...WHEEL TIME!! The Toyota Trail rims with Load E range tires. A long road to this point...but I'm staying focused

Now we can flip it again...but this time I got 6 guys.....a little safer!

Time for a "Test Run"!!!!!!!

Once the test run was over, time to get back to work, first thing on order was to sure the jacks worked properly...we have lift off! Also had to finish weld up the taillight brackets

Last edited by titanpat57 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:43 pm

TitanPat57, Great trailer, love that it's Tent Topped!
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby stomperxj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Hey Pat - good to see you made it over here. Love this build. Its bomb proof :)

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:30 pm

I finally read "pictures for dummies" :worship:

I do apologize for some of the picture quality...most were taken at the end of the work day, and lots of times in not so great light.

soooooooo...let's try it again.
Last edited by titanpat57 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks Scott and Jess!! I'm in good company I see.... :thumbsup:

I thought it might be a good idea to share this being some of these folks may not make it to Mud or Expo. I spent tons of time in the electrical section for the first build...a real wealth of knowledge and lots of good folks.

I figured you guys must be chomping at the bit for spring!! ;)

I think I got the picture thing figured out...so I'll try to post them and fix the others.

Now I finally got into something I had a little experience with....Wood! It was a welcomed change.

titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm

The wall construction was 2" x 4" on the flat, bolted and glued down to the metal bed, and 2" x 6" roof construction...to support the ARB Simpson III and my fat butt!

It was covered with 1/2" CDX that was glued and screwed (that will be a pattern with almost everything I build)

Here you can see where the taillight frames support the rear framing

I had to add a socket to eliminate the crank on the front jack before it was framed shut

The inside...

and of course I had to hook up a light....patience is for sissys ;)

titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

wow you sure are building fast
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Then it time for a trip around the yard, and I can tell a lie....

I drove down through town too!! I had to see how it felt, and all went well.

I installed the rubber roof, then started the FRP on the nose and side walls. THe FRP was a real challenge because of the angles on the nose box. The plywood was a peice of cake, if it was off a hair, take out the belt sander and it's all good. The FRP is only about an 1/8" thick...so now the bar gets raised!

It had to start at the bottom so all seams over lapped for water tightness. I was also trying to avoid trim peices at the joints

Then there are two different types of adhesive: spray contact cement and then 5 min. set epoxy at the seams. I was worried about compatibility issues, so I taped off the plywood so the epoxy had bare wood to adhere to. Once dry the joints were sanded and ready for paint

THen it was time for the roof rack to hold the RTT . It was constructed from 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x .120 square tube I welded feet with holes to allow it to be bolted thru the pre-installed blocks in the roof framing. It was exciting to start the finishing touches...it was a long summer.

The sides and exposed fenders were covered in aluminum diamond plate, it had to be cut to size, siliconed and riveted on.

Then the damn back doors...this set was as big or bigger PITA to do then the previous build. The Yuengling (which is the official beverage of the ROAM Camper) flowed freely. Why do always leave the tough stuff till last?

There is a raised hatch in the nose box that will get a window/screen for ventilation for the inside. The inside has a queen size air matress, and eventually a fold down couch.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm

droid_ca wrote:wow you sure are building fast

:lol:

I give slow a whole new meaning...
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Then it was time to address the kitchen. I had an awesome Cabelas fold up kitchen in a bag first time around, and I really liked it, but I wanted to take it up a notch.

So then I said the hell with it...let's cover the whole side with one... :twisted:

So here we go...

Before the Kitchen can be mounted it needs a spritz of silver, the FRP is NOT UV resistant, so I primed it with Rustoleum plastic primer, then Rustoleum silver

Then it was time for the Roof Top Tent and awning

and the finished kitchen

and a few "live actions" shots from the maiden voyage. My nephew John came to celebrate...and was always a big help when I needed him. Of course I'm his favorite uncle because I'm unstable.....

Last edited by titanpat57 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:12 pm

GEEZ-SUS :shock: - that's one heck of a build :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets