The ROAM Camper Build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby Steve F » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:08 am

How does it tow with the tent up there, I'm about to put one on mine and am curious as to what it does to how it handles with all the weight up high?

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

RE: The ROAM Bild

Postby mezmo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 am

Hey titanpat57,

You Dun Did It!

What a great design and build! And super posting of pics
to document it all.

A perfect example of building what you want!

You and the ROAM inspire all the rest of us, still in the process,
showing that it IS possible to do it.

Enjoy your roaming in your ROAM home.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby titanpat57 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am

@ starleen2...thank you!

@ Steve F.....

I haven't towed loaded much more than 20 miles...but it was rock solid. Part of the design is that the batteries (2-6v 220A/H) and the 21 ga. water tank are located between the hitch and the front of the wheels. Below that is a full size spare. I planned it that way to help offset the rack and the tent (200lbs). The trailer also has a steel 1/8" deck, and even though it's a spring over axle, is extremely solid. My thoughts were to keep the heavier items as low as possible as to keep the center of gravity low.

The water tank filled and the batteries combined are about 320 lbs, and there are also 2 - 5 gal water cans located on the outside. I'm a big believer in lots of tongue weight. Although the nose if filled with light stuff like blankets and sleeping bags, I'm betting I'm sporting in excess 350 lbs tongue weight....which is fine with me. I added the Airlift 1000 bags in rear of the 4Runner, and they seemed to work well also.

@ Norm/mezmo

NORM!!... 8)

Glad you like it! The inside renovations will commence in March, and although sometimes I'm not sure what to do....I defintely know what not to do...lol. I actually have a couple of designs in the works for a new one, but if I don't let the dust settle on this one a bit....I'll be in Divorce Court for the next one... :roll:

Now just a few of the systems start. The batteries and water tank are housed in plywood with a removable top. There is a second peice of plywood that is laying flat, along with 3 - 2"x6"s that pull out and form the bed inside the trailer. In the "closed" position it carries 4 large plastic lockers that house the stove, sink, annex, kitchen needs, etc.....all the camping goodies.

Here's the short list of on-board ammeities.

Engel 45 12V fridge....Port-potti(popular with the ladies).....Instant Hot shower hot water heater.....Cabelas 4' x 8' easy up shower/potty tent....31 Gals of water with a 12V pump and quick disconnect fittings for sink and/or shower...2-20# fiberglass tanks with propane tree for propane light and propane 3 burner stove.......10' x 10' First up Canopy with screen/solid walls kits......2 - 6V batteries able to produce 450 A/H of power, backed up by a Honda eu2000i generator if need be......45 Amp Iota Converter......LED task lighting inside and outside, also in tent....54" wide bed inside the camper, same size on top in tent.........8' aluminum fold down kitchen counter.....Shovel and Axe mounted on outside.........Hi-lift to mounted on inside

The fridge...

Here's a shot of the inside, very early on....

titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi, TitanPat:

That is an impressive build! You definitely thought outside of the box when you designed it and it looks like it works well for you. :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby titanpat57 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 am

Hi Sharon!...thanks!!

I thought it thru pretty carefully, but haven't used it enough to find the flaws...this year though!

Be well, Pat
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am

starleen2 wrote:GEEZ-SUS :shock: - that's one heck of a build :thumbsup:

Wow! I don't roll by the offroad section too often, but I agree. Your camper is stunning.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby titanpat57 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Thank you SLowcowboy!

The sink and stove fit inside a "kitchen stuff" plastic bin with some of the assorted kitchen utensils. I use a 5 gal. can to catch the grey water from the sink.

The kitchen just kinda popped in my head one day. I use to have the big Cabelas fold out kitchen, but this is very simple to set up take down.

Weight wise, she's pretty heavy. I have to go take it for state inspection soon, and my guess is it will top out near 2500-2700 lbs. I did put a 3"diameter, 3500 lb. brake axle on it, so shouldn't be any issues there. There are some extra amenities I carry, such as a 4' x 8' shower/potty tent, hot water heater, porta-potti, small fold up picnic tables and benches, 10' x 10' First Up gazebo with screen walls, a Honda ie2000 genny a 12v Engel ftidge, and probably more junk then I need. Depending on the facilities where I end up staying, I could eliminate some of that stuff.

I built it to support 4 adults camping, but for the most part it'll be me and the better half.

Take care,

Pat
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby magilla » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 am

Mate, That......is pretty damn impressive.
One question What did it weigh in the end
(Doh, Just read the weight in another post. Mind you looking at that tow vehicle it should not be an issue, we dont dont see them over here)
Colac, South West Victoria, South East Australia.
Some Aussie slang
Cans, frothies, stubbies or a pot if you are in a pub (club/bar/ale house)= beer..........Plonk = wine..........BBQ shapes = small savory biscuit to be eaten with stubbies or plonk
magilla
Teardrop Master

Postby huntinhick » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 am

that is an incredible build. I have been trying to work up a hunting/backcounty rig for and I think you hit it on the head big time. I hope I can come up with something half that good to tow behind my liberty. I made a cheapy last year with a fold down kitchen on the side loved it. that is one of my favorite features.

carl
huntinhick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Sun May 29, 2011 11:32 am

Pat,

Your build is fabulous.

:thumbsup:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:15 am

Thank you folks for the kind words...

@ Magilla..Should be right around 2500# loaded, including water. I do spread some weight out to the 4Runner also, especially the fridge and firewood.

@ huntinhick....thanks, I'm hoping to be able to go a week without any other support if need be, although I 'm keeping my eye out for another Engel just for beverages... ;) My inspiration came from a guy who threw a build together on 1/10 of my budget. The light really clicked after thought" it's all prime real estate, so might as well use it. I also had two aluminum shelves bent up, that open up a bit of counter space

2....Prem...thanks so much!...much appreciated! I'm trying to catch up on some of the home projects that suffered last year because of the build, but I'm looking forward to finishing up the inside soon.

Here is a few shots of the first trip out this year....they accidently gave away my lakefront campsite I reserved, but we still had a great time.

[img][img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l358/titanpat57/Roam%202011/roamf.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l358/titanpat57/Roam%202011/roamh.jpg[/img][/img]
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby Steve F » Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 pm

That looks great, you gotta love the extra room the rooftop tent gives, here's my setup at Easter :) My son (in the foreground) slept up top with my two daughters in the annex and me and my wife in the TD. You cant see the 167W solar panel on the roof that kept us powered up for the week :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm

That is one cool looking rig.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby oregonguy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:37 pm

I sure do like your trailer. Very cool concept, and looks great setup. The tent unit looks great on it all folded out like that. :thumbsup:
Check out our Website: www.oregontrailer.net
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks Oregonguy...much appreciated! Now I just have to find time to wrap of the inside.....but at this point I just want to go and use it... :thumbsup:

Just added sone Rotopax to the nose . They are the 2 gallon model with locking handles.
Last edited by titanpat57 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
titanpat57
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets