New offroad trailer build - for wheeling in Colorado

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

New offroad trailer build - for wheeling in Colorado

Postby TwistedXT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Ive been lurking in the backround on here for some time now - trying to figure out what it is that i would like to build. then - due to layoffs after 15 years of service - lets just say ive got some time on my hands while between jobs. So let the insanity begin!!!!!

I'll be building the camper on the chassis of a pickup bed trailer that i purchased for 300 bucks. it is the back half of an S-10 pickup long bed. I have an extensive garage of tools and general knowledge of building. (5 years of schooling in architechure).....

the pickup bed will come off
the depth of the frame rails will allow for under storage

now for the out of the norm.

the trailer will have a full size mattress and an infant bed - and a spot for two medium sized dogs.... and a kitchen... and still be light and able to fit into the garage

Current teardrop floor height is at 28" - garage is at 78" - so i have exactly 4' (48") to get all this built.... to leave 2" of clearance.

Here we go....
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 86 slo-vo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:39 pm

should be interesting, cant wait to see some progress.

good to see another from the states...good luck
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby TwistedXT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:40 pm

first parts up on the list

bought a plung router
bought a 220v mig welder

wheel adapters to change the 5 on 4.75 to 5 on 5 to match both of my jeeps and to widen the track 2.5"

Markers

brake lights

48" piano hinges
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TwistedXT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:31 pm

and, i know that it is unlucky to have a "boat" without a name... so we are still thinking of one... once i have it - i will update the thread.
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TwistedXT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:35 pm

forgot to mention - she will have 10-20 gallon fresh and grey water tanks. playing with the idea of a heater - but i am leaving room for the addition of AC later - but she will be fully wired up for electrical stuff, all lights will be LED and either 1 or 2 deep cycle batteries, and 1-2 propane tanks to run the grill. 8)

Here is what will be pulling her:

either my Jeep 4 door JK or my wives Jeep WJ that is currently also undergoing a "transformation"... lift, rims, tires - opened up the exhaust... good stuff!
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TwistedXT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:06 pm

thanks for the advise. i plan on building this on the cheap... most of my parts will be used or hella deals found online. I do know that this unemployment could last a while... ive got money in savings and such - paid off a large chunk of my bills and not to worried about finding a job asap. im kinda enjoying the time off, and since the house is nearly complete (trim in the kitchen and such) i will need something to do, and wood working seems to run in my blood.

This is not my first time being laid off - ironically from the same company. currently im an out of work Voip technician who my fellow colleges reffer to as "fender head" cause my love is in cars and RC stuff. While all this is going on im actually starting my own business - no more relying on "the man" to pay my bills. just trying to find my nitch and then get the ball rolling. but if times get tight - im not above working at walmart or target - packing groceries, or digging ditches to feed my family. granted, i would love to find a job back in my field making the 70k that i left behind.. but... things happen for a reason - and so far, i have found that having this much time on your hands makes you think about who you are and what you want to do "when you grow up"... guess we will see. anyways....

My family has been looking for a camper for the past couple of years and this is the best option for us thus far. Being that we are heavily into 4 wheeling, building one to suite seems like the best idea. specially since i already had the trailer. Granted i bought another trailer to replace this one - but it only cost $100 and will be strictly for hauling "stuff". as far as the tear drop, it will add many fun and needed family outings into the rocky mountains.

has anyone seen one of these built on a truck frame before?

the main plan on the wheel adapters is that both the jeep jk and wj have the 5 on 5 bolt patterns thus the wheels and tires will be interchangable between the trailer and which ever tow rig we choose to use.
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TwistedXT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 pm

well, off to bed - tomorrow i will be starting a scale version of it to get everything figured out.... will post pics when i have em.

Also - im watching craigslist for a used s10 receiver hitch so i can put our bike carrier on the back. found one for like $40, but ots 2 hours away... will keep looking - maybe even do some junk yard diving to see what i can find.
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TwistedXT » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am

heres where im sitting with the design so far.... still playing with changing it as i go.

this whole thing will be played by ear as to this is my first one and using the truck bed trailer seen below, the frame is - well - unique. also with having the 2 beds and the dogs area, this could get interesting.

heres the trailer as it sits right now

the tongue may either be reinforced or chopped off and rebuilt/extended

here are pics of the tow rigs

and heres the WJ (grand cherokee overland edition) She has gone through some small mods since this pic 1 year ago, but she is waiting on a lift and such herself.

TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 pm

I am going to again launch into my rant :fb what you should be building is an aircraft not a tank, heavy does not necessarily mean heavy duty, it just means heavy! harder to pull harder to maneuver and may well tend to shake itself apart.
Look to AT trailers or the Australian trailer built for the Outback.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby TwistedXT » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 pm

ok then.. well, here is where i sit as of now - this is the plan we are going to go with - both for ease of design, and build, weight and utilization of space. it incorporates a futon mattress (foam) and an infant bed - bunk style, leaving a space for the dogs to sleep by the door. The kitchen will be off to the side with a pull out drawer that will house a gas grille and a 12"x12" sink that is currently on order. the door will open higher, its just hard to get google sketch (which rocks) to do what you want it to do.

here is a link to the current design http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwmUEmJ4v8s

its "processing" right now but should be up shortly. :applause:
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TwistedXT » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm

oh.. its 4.6 wide by 10'long by 4' high

i also shot a high res video - but am having troubles uploading it - you get the idea with the low res.
TwistedXT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby happy_camper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:51 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Good eveing. my friend I don't want to sound rude but this is uncle sames wrecked world and walmart jobs manual labor and taco johns are all in demand and gone. everyone here has taken them already. I hope it isn't that way in colorado. but acorrding to my buddy in rifle that is the case there. hes glad for 20 hours a week at 11 dollars a hour to feed his face.

don't spend to much them savins dissapper in nothing flat when nothing is coming in for over 2 years.

I know been there. I hate to say it but no big nest egg is going to take care of any one in this recesson. go easy on the build. your doing good in this day and age just to get a job intereiw. I would look now for a job. they won't hire you if your a year out with no job of any sort. the only way I get intervews now is to show I been working farm spot jobs and owning 25 cows of my own.

if your in the city and can't get a on at macdonalds your pretty much screwed you wait more than 6 mnonths and not look for work your going to be in a bind. SLowcowboy. learning the hard way.

slowcowboy wrote:this is going to sound dumb but janotors are now required to have janotor experance to apply for the janotor jobs. and this is going to sound real dumb but courtesy of uncle sam.

My local cummunity college is offering a deagre program to become a guess what?

a jantor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep. true. and I know even dish washing jobs in wyoming are demanding prevous dish washing experance!!!!!

this recesson my freind is not all bull sh** you been hearing on the news.

its real big time. I wish you the best of luck and I hate to see you have a family to feed as its going to be way tougher on you. but If I was you I would be nocking down doors right now. Instead of taking time out for a break to have a vacation. 6 months out of work will make it a lot harder on you finding a job later.

and I do hope your not like wyoming with no place to apply at most the time. SLowcowboy.

I thought this was a thread about a member building an unconventional trailer to tow behind his off-road vehicle(s). How did it turn into a socio-economic political rant? Most of the forum members are well aware of current global, national, regional and your personal situation.

How about we let "TwistedXT" get on with it. with a big dose of encouragement instead of your litany of doom-and-gloom. Give it a rest. Don't look now, but the janitors are out to get you too, "courtesy of uncle sam"!

C'mon "TwistedXT", lets see and hear more about your build.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein
"Mechanical difficulties with language are the outcome of internal difficulties with thought." — Elizabeth Bowen
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed!" — William Shakespeare
"It ain't about the numbers, I can count to five just like you'se guys" — Six Finger Chatowski
happy_camper
Teardrop Builder

Postby Yuri4x4 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 am

Yea, I'm interested in "building on the cheap" too.

<---also out of work, but going to school on the Govt's dime
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby TheOgre88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I am going to again launch into my rant :fb what you should be building is an aircraft not a tank, heavy does not necessarily mean heavy duty, it just means heavy! harder to pull harder to maneuver and may well tend to shake itself apart.
Look to AT trailers or the Australian trailer built for the Outback.

I do agree with this guy on the aeroplane part but thats me cause I will be towing with a Suzuki Samurai
TheOgre88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Yota Bill » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 am

I would suggest re-thinking the use of a partial truck frame. It is excessively heavy and the shape does not suit well to building any sort of a camper on it. It will make the build more challenging, and you will probably have to change plans several times to suit the existing frame.

If you already bought another trailer to replace this one, can you use that frame instead? You may also want to consider selling one or the other and buying or building a frame to suit the camper rather then building the camper to suit the frame.
Yota Bill
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets