Non-Traditional Trailer Couplers

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Non-Traditional Trailer Couplers

Postby jeprovo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:12 am

It seems like more and more people are making or buying trailer couplers that are not the traditional ball coupler or pintle/lunette coupler.

If you're running a non-traditional trailer coupler, please let us know why you made the decision to run the coupler that you chose, and please post a picture of your coupler, especially if it's something that you made.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a lunette eye on the trailer I'm designing. I've towed a little M416 military trailer with one, and was pleasantly surprised with how quiet it was on the road. It was a little noisy over speed bumps and in driveways, but no worse than a loose ball coupler. However, the engineer in me is really intrigued with the alternative couplers made by people like 86 slo-vo. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... c&start=37

Thanks, James
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby Steve F » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:30 am

I have an orac coupling. Cheap, ADR (Australian Design Rules) approved and has unlimited articulation. Quite easy to hook up again as well.

Down here in Australia you never see a hook and pintle setup on anything that is not agricultural, military or heavy vehicle.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:06 pm

MAX Coupler is the way to go in the US.

Personally I'd never use a pintle setup, to much banging around from the slop.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Re: Non-Traditional Trailer Couplers

Postby 86 slo-vo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 pm

jeprovo wrote:It seems like more and more people are making or buying trailer couplers that are not the traditional ball coupler or pintle/lunette coupler.

If you're running a non-traditional trailer coupler, please let us know why you made the decision to run the coupler that you chose, and please post a picture of your coupler, especially if it's something that you made.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a lunette eye on the trailer I'm designing. I've towed a little M416 military trailer with one, and was pleasantly surprised with how quiet it was on the road. It was a little noisy over speed bumps and in driveways, but no worse than a loose ball coupler. However, the engineer in me is really intrigued with the alternative couplers made by people like 86 slo-vo. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... c&start=37

Thanks, James

just depends on the kind of person you are, me personally if i see something that is $200 and i could make it myself for under $50..well then im going to try to do it myself. may work may not.
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby jeprovo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Steve F wrote:I have an orac coupling. Cheap...

I wish they were cheap here in the US. It seems like a really nice piece.
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby jeprovo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:43 pm

86 slo-vo wrote:just depends on the kind of person you are, me personally if i see something that is $200 and i could make it myself for under $50..well then im going to try to do it myself. may work may not.

I hear you! It's guys like you that inspire me to design my own cheap coupler.
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby 86 slo-vo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:29 am

jeprovo wrote:
86 slo-vo wrote:just depends on the kind of person you are, me personally if i see something that is $200 and i could make it myself for under $50..well then im going to try to do it myself. may work may not.

I hear you! It's guys like you that inspire me to design my own cheap coupler.

nah im just married :lol: which means my play money is tight so it just leads me to find alternatives.
86 slo-vo
Teardrop Builder

Postby jeprovo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:11 am

86 slo-vo wrote:nah im just married :lol: which means my play money is tight ...

I hear you there! I'm divorced, and the alimony really hurts my play money...

Lock N Roll has a nicetrailer coupler, but again, $200 :shock:
http://www.locknroll.com/

I'm going to draw up a few couplers tomorrow at work. It has to be much cheaper to make something than pay that kind of money.
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:44 am

I was looking at this mostly to have a coupler that is hard to match (theft deterrent) and found http://www.campertrailers.org/couplings.htm
I have settled for using a Trailer Cop lock (can't be cut using a bolt cutter) for the time being.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby newimage » Wed May 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Now all of the couplers rotate 360 degrees correct? I have been working with a company that is building me a 45 degree limiting coupler so you will NOT flip your off road trailer on the side.
8)
2002 Grand Cherokee V-8 4x4 select-trac
Off Road trailer with RTT
Enclosed Off Road Trailer
newimage
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 pm

11 Pages of multi axis hitches

I guess you need to be careful when you jack knife them.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 04, 2011 7:34 pm

I really think I would prefer the trailer flip than the tow vehicle I am in :worship:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jeprovo » Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 pm

newimage wrote:Now all of the couplers rotate 360 degrees correct? I have been working with a company that is building me a 45 degree limiting coupler so you will NOT flip your off road trailer on the side.
8)

The couplers have 360 degree of free rotation in one axis.

you want the trailer to be able to flop over without pulling over the tow vehicle. It would really be tragic to be off camber, have the trailer roll over and take the tow vehicle with it. There are also cases where the tow vehcicle and trailer may be twisted up, and 45 degrees of rotation may not be enough to prevent binding and damage.
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby Hillmann » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Just my 2 cents worth,
One problem with using unusual hitches is you can no longer use any vehicle to tow your trailer but with a ball hitch any vehicle with a ball can tow it. I know I like being able to hook up any of my vehicles to any of my trailers or hook up my trailers to friends vehicles.

Now if it is on a heavy vehicle or for off roding then that is a different story.
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets