Well, I quess it's time......

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

RE: Plate

Postby mezmo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:10 am

Hi TOTAL CARNAGE,

You're making great progress!

No need to make a pocket for the plate, instead make a 'box' mounting
for it just large enough for the plate and its light. This would have
triangular sides and @ a 1/2 to 1Inch top and @ a 3-4 inch bottom with
the face for the plate thus being vertical. [Adjust measurements to the
specifics you have.] It would be a nice compliment/opposite to the inset
tail lights, and should be easier to construct and install at this point in the
build.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Perfect idea mezmo and will tie in with some other details I'm thinking of.
As usual, I'm working on it every night just nothing worth typing about.
I am starting to figure out the frame and suspention stuff. The air bags are out. I can't get enough lift out of the bags I have and just don't need the extra hassle. I have picked a nice ride height and will use some nice long springs with good flex. I have also decided not to cut in wheel wells to keep the tire track the same as the Sammi. At only 4' wide, putting the wheels out will only help when things get a bit "off camber" :roll:
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello all. While I have been working on the camper every night, it has been little detail stuff not worth pics.
I have finished the roof and top front panel. I have the shelf done in back
The face is being made right now. I have to find the track for the sliding doors yet.
I also started to build my fenders. They are a full 12" wide to cover the 31x11.50 Swampers.
With the fenders being that wide and that flat, I figure two things.....one, They will make for great tables at camp and two, They WILL get ripped off sooner or later.
With the second part in mind, The fenders will be mounted with two shelf brackets each. I drilled holes into the shell and used silicone to glued wood dowles in. They are what the brackets will be screwed into. between the brackets and sealing/glueing the fenders on with more silicone they will be well supported. With any luck they will tear free with little damage to the camper. I'll get more pics of that when it's done.
In the background (of my junk filled garage) you can see part of the cabnet face glued up.
The frame is also started but it's out at the shop so no pics of it yet.
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 pm

This is one of the little "details" I talked about. Little stand offs for the marker lights.
They will match the frame for the plate and puts the marker light in the same plane as the tail lights.
When you consider that my main wood working tools are a jig saw, drill, plastic mitre box and a 17yo. electric staple gun that will also shoot up to 3/4" brads, it takes a long time to build stuff like this. Well, 9 more to go.........
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Hello all. Thought I forgot about ya, Huh?
Well, truth is, It has been cold and raining for a week here in Pa. and it makes it real hard to get in the mood to do anything but I have done some.
The rear is about done. Staining, sealing and skin the hatch is all I have left. Hatch is waiting on the lights to show up and staining and sealing will all be done at once.
I went with bright white here as it makes a great canvis for future artwork and once the wood is stained, the white frame will make it stand out.
I also started to panel the inside. door and wall.
Has anyone used regular door hardware on their trailer? Like stuff for the front door on your house. I have two matching sets and think they would look good but don't know if they will hold up- down the road. :thinking:
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby jss06 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 pm

It depends on the thickness of the walls/doors. If they are standard door thickness then it should work.

They last a long time on ourside use so should be pretty reliable.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm going "off topic" for one post.......
As I said before, the weather here has been NASTY!
I wanted to show you the Samurai dressed in it's Foul Weather Gear.
I should make my signature say I HATE DOORS.....
From looking at other builds I feel that I have to show my helpers also.
Callie....She just sort of moved in. Belongs to the lady next door but I guess she likes it here better.
And, Grey Man...also not mine....
But same thing every day. Shows up when I get home from work. Eats, takes a "cat nap" in the trailer and then goes on his way.. :lol:
Well, that's it for now. Please, let me know what you think. good or bad anything I should do different....better?
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Hello all. Still here, still building. Seems to be going slower than I hoped but just jumping in with a bunch of ideas and no real plan has caused some rethinking and redoing. The big chunky frames in the galley are gone.
Replaced with a much lighter, cleaner looking frame.
Well, the galley is done. Wired the hatch for the markers and lighting, skinned the inside (NOTE: make sure your hatch is on a flat surface when you put the inside skin on ! ) Seems I built a slight warp into mine. Oh well, took some doing but all better now.......
Just a single prop in the center seems to be more than enough support. Tucks up for storage and hangs right where it needs to be when open. Even if a big gust of wind did manage to lift the hatch, the prop would come straight back down to the proper place.
I think it's looking cool!
Close up of the "Hatch-Latch" lol.....
The fender came out nice! It's a ply/foam sandwich just like the walls.
Well, that's it for now. As always, looking for input and I still need a name! Something to go with the Samurai ............?
Almost forgot!! I went with plain old door hardware.....I think it looks out of place and may black them out but I am going to wait and see how they look after the outside is stained and sealed
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby jss06 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:31 am

That is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I can understand about the doors. In my case, the built in tongue box was my nemesis. It took way longer than it should have.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:40 am

Great job on your teardrop! The more I look at them, the more I like the off-road look and functionality. You should be very proud of your work!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:39 pm

oops
Last edited by TOTAL CARNAGE on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Hello Again! Yep, still here.
My build is going very slow but I still manage to do something on the camper every night.
A few nights ago I just didn't feel like doing anything constructive so I decided to do a little art work.
Now, art to me is sitting at my drafting table and drawing up a new toy or getting out the air brush for some paint work so stain and wood are not something I normally deal with. The added pressure of knowing if I screw it up, I'm building a new hatch didn't help.........
I had this pic saved for a long time and thought it would be perfect so I printed it on drafting paper, covered the hatch with tape and drew it out.
After what seemed like hours with a razor blade and some red mahogany stain I had this
I would have done it free hand but with testing found that a brush made the stain bleed along the grain of the wood and wouldn't give a nice clean line.
First step done. I used a rag and just kind of "blotted" the stain on very dry and coat after coat until it was dark enough.
Next, background stain. I tried to make it lighter at the horizon and to look like a reflection in the water.......
Looks very cool in the pics but looks spotty to me in real life. wood just isn't a "consistent" canvas. Oh well, I'm sure it will look good after the clear coat.
watdaya think?...................
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby crumbruiser » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:15 pm

If I ever get to start a build, you can stain mine! :thumbsup:
Frank
Keep up the awsome work. 8)
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

RE: Hatch Art

Postby mezmo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi Total Carnage,

You're making good progress!

And the hatch art is superlative! That is going to look ever-so-sharp
once it's finished [in both meanings of the word].

Here are a couple/few name suggestions inspired by the artwork:

Movable Horizon

My Movable Horizon

Horizon in Motion

Moonglow

Vista Vehicle

Vista Traveler

Moonglow Traveler

Vista VaRoommm

Vista View Room

Trails end

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

RE: Hatch Art

Postby mezmo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Oops - Somehow it automatically double posted.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets