Well, I quess it's time......

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Well, I quess it's time......

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 pm

To introduce myself and my build. Dan here, Saltsburg Pa.
I spent last winter rebuilding my TV and most of this summer testing and refineing the mods. Here it is.
Image93 Suzuki Samurai.
ImageI went from 31" swampers
Imageto 33's with a spring over lift.
Image Next I'll show my Grasshopper? maybe...looking thing sorry for the big pic's but it's the smallest my camera will take and I'm better building than I am with this computer.......
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 pm

The first thing was weight. With Sammi's big 1.3L engine I don't have much power to spare on road. Off road, 4 low, 4 to 1 Tcase gears, it won't even know it's there.
ImageI liked the topic about the foam trailers just covered with cloth and paint.
ImageStarted with 1' foam. Just enough wood for support where needed.
ImageI need more on the outside to deal with the trees and rocks so I covered the outside with 1/4 lauan.
ImageSides up. I have a bit more done, galley framed out and most of the roof but no pics yet. After the "box" is done I'll start on the frame
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby crumbruiser » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:51 pm

Sir, It looks like you do everything right! :thumbsup: I love the TV and the camper looks cool too!
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:25 pm

WowTC...awesome build and even more awesome Sami!!!

I'm pretty new here myself, but welcome aboard, and best of luck with your build!!
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 am

the shape looks familiar.... I like it :thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Thank you all.
stomperxj.....It was your Sawtooth that got me started.
I will have more pics tonight.
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ned B » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:49 am

awesome TV, will be following this build, great start to your trailer!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Once again, Thank you all. I went back and looked over the Sawtooth build. I was not trying to copy that build but they are very much alike!
It's hard for me to keep up with the pics but have a few more for you.
Here is the galley area framed in. I will not have a outside door to the lower storage but the counter top will lift up. This is where the battery and electrical stuff will be so I don't need in there often.
Everything will be 12v. LED. I am going to have two 120v. outlets in the galley, one inside and one for the battery tender for the rare times when I have a place to plug in.
Cabin area. I still haven't decided how to finish the inside and know it will be harder to do with all the walls up but......
The X brace is just keeping things square untill the roof and front are on.
I picked up a few lights Friday. LED tail and marker lights. I got my door windows out of the sleeper of a trailer truck we were junking. I had been wondering just how I was going to build the windows when I looked up and saw these. I can't believe how perfect they are!! They fit the shape of the door like they were custom made. The bottom glass is a slider with a screen inside.
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:07 am

Built the mounts for the tail lights.
Rear panel and lights installed
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Wow

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Suscribed!
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Well, not much to report but I did get the battery box built, frame for the hatch is done and I finished a door. That by far has been the hardest part of this build. Trying to get a perfect stright and consistant gap was rough but I have it where I'm happy
I'll try and have pics of the rest tomorrow.
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Man, I hope this starts a new page. I'm still on dial-up and it takes those pics a looong time to load. (yes, I like to look at my own pics) :)
I wanted to tell you a little about the trailer and how it came about.
I got a 73 Mini Wini class C with 80,000 miles and a rotted box a few years ago and built a new camper out of it and I mean everything. Inside out side, cabnits, counters, down to sewing my own curtains and cushions. It's nice when we are going out for a while but to go up on the mountain for the weekend with loading, dolly with the Sammi, getting into the 4x4 club, setting up it's just way to much. Not to mention at least $50 in gas for the weekend.
Tired of my Rambles yet?? So, the idea of a bed on wheels was born. I didn't know what a tear drop was and don't remember If I googled little campers or something but this was the first site I found and been lurking ever since.
The trailer is 4'2"wide, 8' point to point and 4' tall. Sleeping are is 74" x 47". I am going to run 31x12.50 swampers, solid axle, brakes, all on air bags so I can lift it to mach the Sammi for travel and lower it at camp so my wife can get in it with out a ladder.
I plan on rounding off all the corners and using a 3" wide cloth and glue to reinforce the joints. Paint the roof white, stain the wood sides, maybe a little fancy artwork and then many, many coats of spar varnish. I want it to shine like an old wood speedboat! It will be stored inside and will fit under my e-z up if it rains at camp so I should be able to keep it nice.
I do want to add a hot water-outside shower at some point but will put more thought into that when I get there.
Well, That's all I can think of for now....I know :worship:
Any questions or comments?
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby jss06 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:24 am

Very nice. I do like the profile. I am using the same kind of panel construction on mine. But I am using heavier materials.

StomperXJ, looks like you have inspired a new class of Tiny Travel Trailer. :D
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:58 pm

TC,

Cool truck. Love the sign on back..."Don't follow me...you won't make it." That's funny right there. :lol:

You camper is looking great. Looks like you are on the ball.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:32 pm

sorry I haven't up-dated in a while. I have been working on the camper every night but it's been little nit-picky stuff not worth pics or typing.....
I have got the rear figured out. One more shelf, face and doors and the cabnets will be done. Think I'm going with sliding doors back here. Still need to wire the hatch for lights and skin the inside.
It was at this point when I realized I didn't make a pocket for the plate...oh well, I'll figure some thing out.
Last edited by TOTAL CARNAGE on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets