enclosed cargo trailer tongue question...

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

enclosed cargo trailer tongue question...

Postby Jeepin'WNC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 pm

I've been lurking around here for quite some time gathering ideas. I've been wanting to build/convert a small enclosed trailer for light off road / camping/ hauling my motorcycle... I just purchased a 5'W x 8'L x 5'H Cargo Craft Explorer. The previous owner had been converting it for camping, and it has already been wired, by an RV dealer, for 110 shore power with a 30 amp breaker, power inverter, two lights in the ceiling and a roof vent with a thermostat controlled fan.
The trailer has an A frame tongue with a top wind jack. When hooking up the trailer the jack hit the spare tire on my Jeep. I had to put the spare inside the trailer. I would like to add an insert type hitch to this trailer to give it a bit more tongue length and so I would have the option of switching between a standard ball hitch or a multi-axis type hitch. I would also like to run the insert tube the full length of the trailer chassis, tying it into all of the cross members, and terminating it through a C-Channel or tube bumper at the rear, so I could add a recovery insert at the rear if ever needed. Does anybody have any recommendations or tips that they could give me? Thank you.
Jeepin'WNC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cowboy4x4 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I do that to all my trailers. I get rid of the top screw jacks and install side screw jacks instead. I just cut off the factory tongue end and run the square tube back to the first cross member and tie it in there.
cowboy4x4
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 am

Well I got a cargo and a jeep 1st I had to get a 4'' drop hitch and then i had to extend the hitch receiver about 14 '' now i can keep my spare on and trailer trails fine but I have a 4'' lift with 33''s tires had to extend my jack leg about 6'' so i could get it off ball without blocks. when its hooked up i use the pin as a safety latch
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets