gc3's tear on air

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

gc3's tear on air

Postby gc3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:24 pm

long time lurker, decided i can post a couple pics now that i made a tad bit of progress.
it rolls now!

started with a freebie pop-up camper with a family of mice in it, stripped it all down to bare frame, and made a "subframe" which the entire suspension assembly bolts to, which in turn bolts to the frame of the pop-up.

well, here are the plans

suspension started with cutting/pressing out the dead spindles from a junkyard chevy s10. cheap and strong and reliable!

then i turned some 'adapter sleeves' to press the spindles into, and then 'adapt' to a more convenient OD to slip into a standard tube.

and then welded up a subframe and control arms

and look, assemblage

aand now it rolls on its own wheels

need to turn some spacers and then i can bolt on the shocks, leftovers from a previous project

and then i can start the woodwork.

but im juggling several projects so who knows when this might progress next
gc3
Teardrop Inspector

Re: gc3's tear on air

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 pm

I love the jockey wheel on the tongue jack :lol:

:beer:
<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Colemancooler » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 pm

very nice, i cant wait to see how this works for you, well done
Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Postby elmo_4_vt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Nice looking setup... I'm trying to plan my bag setup, though I'm sticking with a solid axle, just using trailing arms and pitman. What bags did you use? My trailer will be close to 3000lb when loaded, so I need to find something that can support that kind of weight... Internal bump stops are high on the wish list too.

Don

-
Truck: '96 Ford Bronco, Modified for off-road stuff

Trailer in progress: Not a tear drop exactly, sort of a mut of a couple different designs.
elmo_4_vt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gc3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:52 pm

elmo_4_vt wrote:Nice looking setup... I'm trying to plan my bag setup, though I'm sticking with a solid axle, just using trailing arms and pitman. What bags did you use? My trailer will be close to 3000lb when loaded, so I need to find something that can support that kind of weight... Internal bump stops are high on the wish list too.

Don

-

i got some airlift dominator 2600s based on cost/reputation. $100 for the pair off ebay :)
sadly no internal bumpstops, but i designed mine to hit axle to frame before bottoming the bag. I'll add in a soft stop later.
the shocks are going to be my extension limiter.
gc3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm impressed. :thumbsup: Nice job. :applause: If you put your mind to it you might be able to have disc brakes with a surge coupler. :thinking:

Never thought of pressing the spindles out and fabricating an axle. :thinking: It could be very "cost effective" if you can get the spindles and all the brake hardware for cheap add a surge coupler and you've got it all for very little. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:08 pm

gc3-When you use the QA1 shocks, will you put coils on them, and adjust for ride height and load? I never thought of coilovers for a TTT; why not? Nice start, you must be a car fabricator/racer to have spare parts like that, and skills to match!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby titanpat57 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:20 am

mad skilzzzzz...... :applause:

Love the concept!

Keep up the good work..Pat
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:39 pm

nice looking trailer you have here so far can't wait to see more
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby gc3 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks for the compliments everyone,
I have thought of brakes, but i will continue with the build without, and see how i like towing it without.
I'm hoping the trailer is light enough to not need brakes, and although surge brakes are a simple way to add brakes, i would be worried about the effectiveness in an offroad towing condition. (which I actually wont be doing, as I sold my offroad toy, and building another one will be a couple projects down the road)
I have several different brakes laying around I can use for the trailer (possibly a bit overkill?) if i would like to add some later.
and as the S10 hub is actually the rotor, welding on a caliper mount bracket would be all i need on the unsprung side.
The controlling of the brakes would require a little more thought in order to accomplish on/offroad equally well.

I have the collars and some springs for these shocks, but as i will be running the airbags for springs, the external threads on the shock bodies will be unused.
not to mention the angle I am running these shocks is less than ideal, with a horrible digressive rate... the compromise of not going through the trailer floor, and retaining good ground clearance.

and yes, the reason the trailer project has no build schedule or completion date is due to other cars/racecars.
this project is for 'relaxing' when my other projects are frustrating me or waiting on parts to ship/paint to dry etc.
gc3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Silvrzuki77 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Hey there great setup! I am looking doing the same thing except with coils. Where did you purchase your bushing for your control arms?
Silvrzuki77
Teardrop Master

Postby gc3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Silvrzuki77 wrote:Hey there great setup! I am looking doing the same thing except with coils. Where did you purchase your bushing for your control arms?

I just turned them from Delrin
gc3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Lots of good stuff here, including bushings and sleeves: RuffStuff.

I used their stuff on the suspension for my build and the quality was top notch. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets