I'm in ! New build ?'s ...

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

I'm in ! New build ?'s ...

Postby pahrumpcaveman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Ok so I went out and spent about 1200$ on parts . Got the 3500 lb axel with the lighter springs and 6 on 5.5 lugs . Got enough steel (2x3 box) to build the frame and hope to have that done this weekend . Where should I mount the axel ?? And anything else I should consider ...
pahrumpcaveman
Donating Member

Re: I'm in ! New build ?'s ...

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Lemme see... the axle? The axle must go sumwhere UNDER the trailer...I'm jus tryin to be humorous :NC It already sounds like yer buildin a BIG TD what with the 2x3 metal...

As we all will agree, we usually OVERBUILD em ! A lotta folks jus build the TD and THEN place the axle where it is best suited.You can temporarily put the axle on it and move it as neccessary later.

Love yer intro here.. YER IN alright ! No turnin back NOW...let the saw dust FLY !!! :applause:
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Far enough back that your doors don't interfere with the fenders, and you want the door to be located where your butt is when you are laying down (so that you can sit, lift your knees and spin to get in... need a wide enough door for this), but not so far back that you have excessive tongue weight.

Have you looked in the "Trailer & Chassis Secrets" section of this forum?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 am

Oh yeah... ya gotta be careful where the door opens. Don't want them fenders to obstruct the doors !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pahrumpcaveman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:30 am

The trailer is going to be 5'x9' with about a 4' tounge . As of right now i'm thinking 39 " from the rear . Geezz I hope the wind stops blowin by tomorrow so I can get started .....Speaking of doors .. I'm not sure which way to go , the pre made aluminum ones or homemade wood . ??
pahrumpcaveman
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:57 am

Do ya wanna pony up $200-$300 per door.. or build em fer CHEAP ?? It's ALL you !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:22 am

According to teardrop rules of thumb (see outback.com) it should be 34.5 from the rear on an 8' trailer, and add 6" for every foot. So for your 5x9 it would be 40.5" from the rear.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby pahrumpcaveman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am

I don't mind spending the extra change if it's worth it . I don't want doors that leak that's for sure and if it's an issue with the home built ones then I'd just rather buy em. Also I plan on running two batteries up on the tongue and about a fifteen gal water tank in the galley . Along with the normal cooler and stuff ,maybe AC unit as well . Some jerry cans back behind the fenders . I also want to put my canoe up top so i'm thinking of going with either one big or two smaller doors that open out rather than up on the back . Then I could still access the galley with the canoe up on the roof . maybe jam a solar panel up there too ... 40" ??? I'm leary of it being to light at the tongue but dont want to much up there. :NC :thinking:
pahrumpcaveman
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Sounds to me that between the heavy batteries on the tongue and the heavy water/cooler/AC/Jerry can load behind the axle that the std. formula should work okay for you.

My main frame is about 9'-8" with another 3 ft of tongue, but I am running big 31" tires and nice wide 32-1/2" doors, so my axle centerline will be only 36-5/8" from the back (formula says 44-1/2). It's a compromise, but I plan on having a cooler, several pieces of cast iron (10 & 12 inch DO's, 10 & 12 inch skillets, and a steel griddle plate) and at least 5 gal water (42 lbs to start) in the galley. Depending on tongue weight I will place the 12v battery (or 2) in the tongue box or in the galley (maybe one in each location...we'll see).
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Well, after posting the above and realizing just how far back from recommended that I had my axle, I started to wonder if I couldn't push the axle forward a bit. Sure enough, I can probably actually get it to 44-1/2. There won't be very much margin for error on the fender, only about 3 inches. Not sure why I had it so far back.

I'll post a new profile image in my own build thread so as not to highjack your thread any more than I already have.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby pahrumpcaveman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:14 pm

No problem KC . Post away ... I need all the suggestions I can get . Well I got the main box of the trailer done today . Tomorrow I'll finish welding on the tongue and hopefully the axel . I'm still not sure where to put that ....I hadn't even heard of these things until I came across this youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjUV9GlQ7tI .This guy did a great job and is sorta what i'm shooting for . Wish I had actual prints to go by instead of just an idea in my head . I generally do better when I have directions to follow LOL .. I need a shower ....and a stiff drink !
pahrumpcaveman
Donating Member

Postby pahrumpcaveman » Sat May 05, 2012 7:14 am

Ok so the frame is done ! Now for the hard part ....Sorry no pic's ..cant figure out how to post em .. I cant make up my mind on a few things with the power . Should i go with a Battery Tender 022-0157-1 Waterproof 12 Volt Power Tender Plus Battery Charger and a Blue Sea Systems 5026 ST Blade Fuse Block or WFCO 8725P Power Center ?? Will the battery tender interfere with the vidio and tv inside camper ? Also was looking at the BatteryMINDer Battery Charger / Maintainer with Desulphator - 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp, Model# 12248 to use with the Blue Sea block ... Any suggestions are always greatly appreciated . Thanks
:beer:
pahrumpcaveman
Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Caveman if you want, email to me and I can post the pics. Just pm me with an email addy.

Scott
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby saltydawg » Fri May 11, 2012 3:12 pm

here are Caveman's pics

Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby pahrumpcaveman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:25 pm

I know its been awhile but.. The "Global Explorer " lol is coming along and roadworthy now . Going out and put some paint on today and ill try and figure out how to post some pic's too .. :)
pahrumpcaveman
Donating Member

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets