Sealing and painting the trusses.

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Sealing and painting the trusses.

Postby ADK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:46 pm

I have been working on some truss designs that will support my RTT. I have settled on the pattern for the trusses and will start the cutting & fitting next week. These will be wooden trusses open to the environment.I plan on sealing all the wood with 25/75 mix of poly & mineral spirits. My final finish is going to be either Herculiner or Rustoleum Hammered. The question is will either of these finishes adhere to the sealer without flaking or peeling?
"Problems are only opportunities in work clothes." - Henry J. Kaiser
ADK
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Sealing and painting the trusses.

Postby rdraider » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I built a camper for the back end of my truck and used the poly/mineral spirits mix. After about a year i had to go back and fix a few spots. I used a 50/50 mix of water and titebond 3 glue. It was ay cheaper and seems to hold up just as good after a year now. That said, I used rustoleum paint on top of both and it hasn't pealed yet. I know the paint will adhere to the glue mix, just allow plenty of time for the poly to cure before you paint it. I think i gave mine two weeks.

Hope that helps.
rdraider
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Sealing and painting the trusses.

Postby ADK » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:39 am

Thanks rdraider, I am far enough along now on the build that I may start a build journal. Almost all of my RTT platform has been completed and I'm getting close to putting on the finish :)
"Problems are only opportunities in work clothes." - Henry J. Kaiser
ADK
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets