Turtleback Trailer's Off Road Frame Ideas

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Turtleback Trailer's Off Road Frame Ideas

Postby DZRTDAVE » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm

HI y'all,

We started a thread over in the for sale section and we thought it should stay above the water line over here. I'm a small trailer manufacturer in Phoenix AZ.

Here's the link to the initial thread so you can see the pics. The text is pasted below.

Dave

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=58464#p1056639

Buena Vista Colorado sm.jpg
Buena Vista Colorado sm.jpg (221.5 KiB) Viewed 5214 times

Re: Tutleback Trailer Prototype for sale

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. We'd like you to participate in the forum too! Tell us more about you. Let's get a conversation going! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DZRTDAVE » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:06 pm
Hi Mike,

Well I'm located down in Phoenix AZ. I started dreaming of building a small camp trailer years ago. Last year I started with a 4x6 Pace trailer from Lowes . After seeing that it probably wouldn't hold up to much of an adventure I decided to build my own. I have years of experience in the RV industry so I drew on some of their technology to simplify the process. I've spent the last year devoting all of my efforts (just ask my wife) to designing my new Turtleback Trailers. I wanted something that would give me the feel of tent camping without the dirt. This past summer I took my 8 & 10 Year old boys on a 2500 mile adventure to test out the design. We came back with a book of notes and went to work on the design we have today. I wanted to build something that is affordable and tough as nails and I've applied my years of factory assembly and engineering experience to make just that. I am located in a 22,000sf trailer manufacturing building near central Phoenix. We build the units on a jig fixture so everything is square and flat.

I love what I do so give me a chat here or a call and let's share the dream

Dave

IMG_2122.jpg
IMG_2122.jpg (222.8 KiB) Viewed 191 times

IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2194.jpg (196.62 KiB) Viewed 191 times

Attachments

orange open sm.jpg
orange open sm.jpg (189.71 KiB) Viewed 191 times

Turtleback Trailers™, Home of the most versatile & rugged adventure inspired trailers made. Our affordable camping units are light enough to pull behind most any vehicle and rugged enough to take up the Rubicon or Denali. We're Made in the USA with pride and attention to detail.

http://www.turtlebacktrailers.com

DZRTDAVE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DZRTDAVE » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:37 pm
I have another unit for sale also for a bit less

Steves TBT sm.jpg
Steves TBT sm.jpg (194.25 KiB) Viewed 181 times

White Plumbing sm.jpg
White Plumbing sm.jpg (204.23 KiB) Viewed 181 times

White Underside sm.jpg
White Underside sm.jpg (208.25 KiB) Viewed 181 times

Expedition Inspired camping trailer direct from the manufacturer not a dealer. Great for behind your Jeep, FJ, Land Cruiser, Or? This is a pre-production unit and a chance to cash in on a great deal. Here's a list of features:

Full Steel Trailer
3500# Dexter axle
5″x5 Lug Hubs
17″ Jeep Rubicon Wheels
255/65/17 BFG Mud Terrain tires
Forward and Aft Receiver Hitch on Frame
Bedliner Coated Chassis
0.040″ automotive painted body
2 Side and 1 Rear Compartment Doors w/ Matching Keys & Deadbolt Locks
LED Lighting
20# Propane Tank with Bracket
Deka Group 24 AGM Marine Battery in Box
Blue Sea Systems® Marine Grade Electrical Components
3 Rail Cargo Bar Roof Rack
2000# Swing Away Tongue Jack with Foot
Safety Chains
7 Way Flat Trailer Plug Wired to: Running, Brake, Turn Charge Line & Trailer Brakes
Interior Lighting in Cargo Area and Kitchen
42 Gallon Fresh Water Tank -- Food Grade, BPA Free Construction
Flowjet 12v Demand Water Pump
Atwood On DSI 6 Gallon Water Heater
Exterior Shower
Baltic Birch Pantry Drawer in Kitchen Area
Baltic Birch Slide Out Kitchen with 2 Drawers
2 Burner Wedgewood Stainless Steel Stove with Stainless Cover by Atwood
Stainless Steel Sink with Hot & Cold Faucet

Some of the pictures are of another unit, yet essentially built the same. Frame pictures are of the actual unit that will be completed by 12/31/13. IF you want it painted to match your rig get with me soon before I put it together.

Retail on this unit is $7,995. It's built just like the production units but is a prototype so it has some cosmetic imperfections. See more at http://www.turtlebacktrailers.com to see the quality built in. I'm a manufacturer not a dealer

Available for $6,000

Also available is a Cascadia Vehicle Tent http://www.cascadiatents.com Mt Shasta Roof Top Tent. This tent retails for $1,395 plus freight. It was used for a demo at 2 showings. Perfect as new $1200

Get $9,490 worth of bulletproof camping for $7200.

Call with questions or to come and take a look.

Dave
Turtleback Trailers LLC
855-732-2383
Turtleback Trailers™, Home of the most versatile & rugged adventure inspired trailers made. Our affordable camping units are light enough to pull behind most any vehicle and rugged enough to take up the Rubicon or Denali. We're Made in the USA with pride and attention to detail.

DZRTDAVE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mezmo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:48 am
HI DZRTDAVE,

Like Mike said, come on and join in here on the forum. The
Offroad Construction Secrets section seems the most logical.

Good luck with your endeavor too. I think you're on to something -
There aren't many US mfrs that are building what you are trying.
The Australian and South African off-road camper mfrs really have
some nifty designs and set-ups and it's good to see a US mfr heading
along a similar path.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.

mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DZRTDAVE » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am
Thanks Norm,

I'd be glad to share the ideas for construction. I went a specific direction for being functional. Aesthetics were important but not foremost. I've built prototypes with Dexter straight axles, Timbren Axles rubber spring axles and trailing arm torsions. I use a sealed tube frame which I see as stronger and more functional to give a lifetime of use. I'm willing to help others with their builds or let someone complete their own Turtleback Trailer in my shop.

I'm here to share if you have questions,

Dave

DZRTDAVE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 48Rob » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:50 pm
Hi Dave,

Your trailers look well constructed.

What is a "sealed tube frame" and what makes it more functional and stronger than another type of frame?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...

Visit Rob's World Web Page!

48Rob
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DZRTDAVE » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:41 pm
Hi Rob,

Thanks for asking about the frame. I know there are a few schools of thought on this, I'll give you my perspective.

I started in the RV industry back in the early 90s selling at a primarily towable RV dealership in Oregon. Two of the main brands on our lot were Fleetwood ( Terry) and Skyline (Aljo). One had a C-Channel frame the other an I-Beam frame. Each had their argument (features and benefits) on which was best. Skyline had Ziemen making their frames and the Fleetwood was made in house. Fleetwood even went to a "corrugated" I-Beam for more rigidity. But I noticed something on our higher end units, Bigfoot, Collins, Holiday Rambler. They all had box tube frames. Collins "Stacked" tubes, Bigfoot and HR used straight box tube. In '94 I had the privileged of going to Elkhart Indiana to tour the Holiday Rambler factories ( Before they were acquired by Monaco ), to make a product comparison video with them and spend time with the product engineers. We discussed how weight vs. strength of the frame design of the units was superior, it may cost more to build it that way but they felt it was being built right.

After I got rid of my Lowes trailer base I built one of my own design. I was working with Elixir Industries in Phoenix for some of my supplies ( well they wanted me to use their supplies ). I tried a trailer using their hot rolled C-Channel frame material.

c channel first frame.jpg
c channel first frame.jpg (235.64 KiB) Viewed 59 times

It worked fine, It was a bid difficult to match the corners without overlapping them. I wanted a strong butt joint. Additionally I didn't think it would be strong enough to drag up rocks on a rough trail behind my Jeep without bending. Also, if you look at the picture, the front triangle hangs too low and is only secured by 4 points. I wanted better.

If you look at the joint of the production trailer, It's connected, period.

Frame joint and wire tubes.jpg
Frame joint and wire tubes.jpg (191.78 KiB) Viewed 59 times

When I say sealed, I run 3/4" tube through the .120" wall frame rails, weld them in, then seal them with 3M window weld prior to coating it all with bedliner. This keeps out any moisture from the trail and the frames aren't going to rot out. The ends of the outriggers are sealed on the end to the integrated floor.

I believe it to be light for the strength, maybe not as light as a 16g C-channel frame but I think it's 50 times stronger

Main Frame side view.jpg
Main Frame side view.jpg (246.63 KiB) Viewed 59 times

Dave

DZRTDAVE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mezmo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:50 am
Hi Dave,

One 'problem' here on the forum is keeping info on a build or topic "archived"
all in one 'place'. This 4 sale post will eventually be obscured by the
passing of time. If you could start a thread in the "Offroad Construction Secrets"
section, or in the "Teardrop Manufacturers" section, and then either cut and
paste these posts in/from the "For Sale/Wanted" section to that, or link to the "For Sale/
Wanted" posts in the new thread, that'd be a great help in keeping your very good
information more accessible over time. That linking can be done by putting your
cursor on the little white 'page' icon in front of the "by DZRTDAVE" and right-clicking
and then choosing "copy link address', and then pasting that where it'd fit in the new
section's thread's post.

Foe an example here's such done here for your first post in this "For Sale/Wanted" thread.
viewtopic.php?p=1056639#p1056639
Click on it and it'll take you to your initial post.

Posterity will thank you, Ha!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:42 am
Thank you for the explanation Dave!

When you say "sealed" do you use the 3M window weld on all your welds to seal any pinholes, or just where you run the conduit?
Do you spray or shoot anything inside the tubes, or is sealing the ends and protrusions (outside) enough to prevent rusting inside them?

Your second design does look a lot more rugged! :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...

Visit Rob's World Web Page!

48Rob
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DZRTDAVE » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 am
Hi Rob,

I just seal where the conduit runs through the frame. I don't see water sitting in the tubes so rusting out is a very low probability there. In the main tubes If water was allowed in it could sit there and cause a problem. Now by the time a conduit tube rusts out, then there's enough time for the water to get into the main tube, then cause a failure. We will probably all be worm food.

Also, I don't believe there are any pin holes from my welder. He's an artist. In the picture above, that's my welding. Not the smoothest but it works. plus it's on my trailer, not a production unit.

Dave

www.turtlebacktrailers.com
DZRTDAVE
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Turtleback Trailer's Off Road Frame Ideas

Postby mezmo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:07 am

Hi Dave,

Glad you brought your posts over here.

Your FB page is really very informative too - not always
the case with most I've seen.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Turtleback Trailer's Off Road Frame Ideas

Postby DZRTDAVE » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm happy to share the info!

www.turtlebacktrailers.com
DZRTDAVE
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets