Clearance and overhang...

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Clearance and overhang...

Postby mdk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:12 pm

Clearance and overhang... Oh, man, you just hit the Jeep people's hot buttons... the DIY camp trailer builder's... Not so much.

Still, I'd like to start a bit of a discussion about off-road, or maybe "rough road" trailering and see what people's experiences are.

My last travel trailer was rather conventional in nature, and I managed to tear off the entire wastewater valve and bust up a bunch of stuff driving on and off of a ferry. I think it was the "off" that did it. And I had to cross that ferry twice.

So, seeing as how I can chart my own course, I'm now interested in getting some good idea of how much overhang you can have in front and back, what's the best way to avoid smashing stuff.. How much clearance did you have or need for what you did?

My future travels hopefully include some of the high mountains in Colorado, deserts in Arizona, backcountry in Utah, back roads in Oregon ( The Oregon Back Country Discovery Routeshttp://www.oohva.org/) Along with a bunch of Idaho, Montana, and perhaps even some Alaska adventures.

For this, I need quite a bit of water and holding capacity, a large and comfortable bed, shower, cooking, refrigeration, and lots of storage, all this adds up to much larger than a small teardrop, so developing a strategy to make it as effective as possible is a requirement.

Anyone's ideas and experience... would be greatly appreciated.
5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Clearance and overhang...

Postby citylights » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:16 pm

There are a few designs for offroad teardrop trailers around. You might need to borrow a few ideas. Typically raised up is enough for the front. Then a slight upturn for a departure angle in the back is enough if you keep it short. A google search for offroad teardrop turned up he usual suspects. Anyway have a look at these...

http://moby1trailers.com

http://www.socalteardrops.com/page.php?p=34

http://www.gizmag.com/ecotrek-off-road-camper/29692/
citylights
500 Club

Postby teamredjeep » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:53 am

Clearance and departure angle is all relative to what kind trail you are taking the trailer on? Rubicon trail or old logging road?

Height will get ground clearance and more departure angle but also makes you more top heavy and more likely to flip. I think armor is also an important part. Being able to drag the bottom of the trailer over obstacles with no damage to structure.

Below is the extreme off road teardrop we have ordered to meet our needs.http://www.kodiakap.com/
Attachments
20140209_154523-resized-640.jpg
20140209_154523-resized-640.jpg (124.97 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
teamredjeep
Donating Member

Postby mdk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:52 pm

For clarity... No, I don't want to traverse the Rubicon trail. More like the Mohave Road, Death Valley, back road adventure routes all over the west... that kind of thing.

Not trying to get over boulders or the slickrock trails around Moab or sand dunes or challenging Jeep trails. Just be able to make it over rutted and rocky and otherwise "high clearance vehicle required" kind of roads.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby teamredjeep » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Then you are talking more about something like the Krawler model TD made by SoCal Teardrops. Mojave Road and Death Valley are in their backyard. I think a link to there website is provided above. Nice trailers with a nice price, 22k+ with the options most would like. I considered one before the one we chose. In my opinion you need at least a 31" tire 18" of frame to gound clearance. Tongue and rear should be able to handle some contact with the ground with out damage especially if you will not be crawling over boulders on the Rubicon trail.
:)
teamredjeep
Donating Member

Postby citylights » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 pm

teamredjeep wrote:. Nice trailers with a nice price, 22k+ with the options most would like

Oh, heck no! Just take a peek and build five of your own for that price!

Here is a complete build journal for an offroad tear.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stomperxj/library/SawTooth%20XL?sort=3&start=all&page=19
citylights
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Add the Magruder Road/Nez Perce Trail/Montana Road to your list. Goes thru the Bitter Root forest from near Elk City, ID over to Darby, MT.

I'm building a semi-off road theme Benroy-ish TD specifically to do this route; The Poet Creek Express link is below.

I won't have all of the expedition gear, but there won't be anything underneath to get broken off, either.

My build cost are toward the high end for what it is, but nowhere near $22k, less than 1/3 of that amount. Though there is no fridge, shower, water heater, generator, or A/C. I will carry at least 15 gal of fresh water in portable jug(s) that need not be hauled on shorter "local" runs.

31 inch tires on Dexter D30 axle with elec. brakes, YJ rear leaf springs, Ruff Stuff suspension components, shocks, Energy Suspension bump stops, and a custom made swivel coupler. The box is 64 wide x 9 ft 8 in long
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby teamredjeep » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:42 am

I'm building a semi-off road theme Benroy-ish TD specifically to do this route; The Poet Creek Express link

Looks like a nice build. If would have found tnttt before I ordered a TD I might have decided to build my own too. Welding and frame would be no problem but I would of had no clue when it comes to cabin construction. I think I could have got enough help here to figure it out.
teamredjeep
Donating Member

Postby mdk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:45 am

KCStudly wrote:Add the Magruder Road/Nez Perce Trail/Montana Road to your list. Goes thru the Bitter Root forest from near Elk City, ID over to Darby, MT.

Oh, hey, thanks for the suggestion.

I've been over parts of that, but didn't realize someone had made it into a backroad adventure route. I used to have friends who lived near Orofino, and been around the Lolo Pass area a bunch, but just never had the time to try out that venture. It looks like a blast, really.

My truck is propane powered, and has a 65 gallon tank. It goes a LONG ways, especially at off highway speeds, on a tank of fuel.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mdk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:48 am

teamredjeep wrote:Then you are talking more about something like the Krawler model TD made by SoCal Teardrops. Mojave Road and Death Valley are in their backyard. I think a link to there website is provided above. Nice trailers with a nice price, 22k+ with the options most would like. I considered one before the one we chose. In my opinion you need at least a 31" tire 18" of frame to gound clearance. Tongue and rear should be able to handle some contact with the ground with out damage especially if you will not be crawling over boulders on the Rubicon trail.

22K? :shock:

Sorry. Heck, we bought a "not quite brand new" Dart in 2013... and still paid less than 14K for it. The cumulative prices of my vehicles don't reach 22K.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets