New trailer build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: New trailer build

Postby SilverJKU » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Made some progress today but didn't take any pics yet. I got the window openings cut out and got part of the headliner up. I'll try and finish the headliner tomorrow and then get some pics without all the sticks holding it up. :lol:
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Finally got pics of the ceiling installed. Now to get the lights and fan installed before picking up the foam insulation for the roof and get the exterior sheeting on. Hopefully I'll get that banged out next weekend. 8)

SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:35 pm

I spent last weekend running the wiring, cutting and installing the styrofoam insulation and finished the exterior sheeting this morning. Next thing I need to do is pick up a laminate trimming bit for the router to deal with the slight overhang on either side of the roof. After that it's on to finish the front end of the interior and build the cabinets and counter.

SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby andreuther » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Any progress?
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby SilverJKU » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:26 pm

Yes, I have made some progress. I got laid off from work on Sept.29th so I've been trying to get this thing finished before the snow hits. I have the exterior all epoxied and painted now. I am currently trying to finish my cabinets and then get the electrical wired up. I have been so focused on finishing that I've been lazy with pics. I will do my best to get some up in the next few days. I also just picked up my new black steel wheels for the trailer. I had hoped to use my spare JK wheels but they have too much back spacing so they hit the frame. :thumbdown: I also got some fenders made by a friend of mine that has a full production metal shop so one more thing off the list.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your job.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby SilverJKU » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:44 am

Finally have some new pics to share!!

The first one is from about a month ago when I just had to pull it out of the garage and put the 33s under it and see how it sits. I think the stance is about perfect!

These next two are after the application of the West System epoxy (two coats).

The exterior is painted now with Behr Marquee exterior latex paint. It is supposed to be their longest lasting, best UV protection paint so we'll see what happens. The color is called Tin Foil so it comes close to matching the silver of my Jeep. I just don't have any exterior pics with the paint yet. Maybe tomorrow as it's supposed to be fairly warm.
Last edited by SilverJKU on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:48 am

I finally made some more progress on the storage cabinets in the front. It took me forever to decide how I wanted to do it so that area has taken way longer than I would have liked.

So that catches everyone up on the build as of yesterday afternoon. Hoping to finish the cabinets today so I can start applying the clear polyurethane to the interior.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:37 am

Looking good. :thumbsup:

I would love to see the paint.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby SilverJKU » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:55 pm

The wife decided she wanted a touch more storage space so I spent the better part of today dreaming up this little addition. Spent probably two hours alone on cardboard templates to get the radius right before cutting up some expensive 1/2" Baltic birch.

The top two openings are going to be cabinets and the bottom will be a drawer. Tomorrow will be knocking those out and cleaning up the inside and getting ready for clear polyurethane.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby Xodius » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:18 am

How tall is the inside?
Xodius
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SilverJKU » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:42 am

Xodius wrote:How tall is the inside?

It's 57 7/8" measured between the seats up to the vent opening. Lot's of room to sit at the table with a few inches of head clearance. 8)
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:15 pm

So the last week has been spent on building all the cabinet doors and the drawer as well as prepping the interior and applying a couple coats of Minwax water-based satin finish. Definitely tedious work but it is really getting close to being done. I also installed an extra LED light and CO detector on the side of the upper cabinet. Started making the table and painting the entry door as well but haven't taken any pics of those yet. These will have to do for now. 8)

The Minwax gave a slight ambering of the wood but I think it looks pretty cool.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Very nicely done! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby SilverJKU » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 am

KCStudly wrote:Looking good. :thumbsup:

I would love to see the paint.

Well, I finally had the chance to pull the trailer out of the garage to get you a picture of the paint and I am very frustrated. :x It seems that even though I thought I had all the epoxy sanded smooth I was wrong. You can see every large epoxy spot now with the paint on it and in some real light. I am not sure how to fix it at this point but it looks like shyte and I am extremely disappointed. Any thoughts on how to solve this issue would be appreciated. The close up pic is where you can see the spots I am referring to.

SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets