New trailer build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: New trailer build

Postby KCStudly » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Are you referring to the little wavy area under the window? Nope, can't see it.

I know pictures can make things look 20 to 30/ct better, but it looks pretty good from here!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby SilverJKU » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 pm

I wish it looked as good as you think it does. The center of the two sheets for the side has about a 5" wide section vertically and if you look down about half way below the window and back you can just make out the spots for the screw holes from the bed platform. I originally thought I could get some tire tread decals or something to run down that section but then I noticed all the other stuff. I thought about getting some gas and matches and having a weiner roast at that point. :x
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby Xodius » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:43 pm

I see what you are talking about. The screw indents at the bottom I would put some type of trim on. Figure you would cover the gap somehow.
As for the mating by window...I would think either remanding the area, pita and labor intensive, skin the sides with aluminum or...some other material. Otherwise chalk it up to home built?
I know what you are saying though and would feel same exact way. I am a perfectionist and that is sometimes not an option aesthetically. You could try a different paint scheme, maybe some type of pattern to break it up.

I am not sure how I will finish mine yet but am still in planning stages...still. I seem to continually modify the design.
How did you join the two pieces of ply? Did you just butt them up or miter the edges? Know what I mean?
Xodius
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:47 pm

I have been using lightweight indoor/outdoor spackle as a foam "body filler" and have done a few basic tests to assure myself that it will be okay under epoxy/glass. I know this isn't the same situation that you have, but it spreads and works quickly and easily. There is still some skepticism as to its suitability, but it might be something you could look into for yourself.

That, or perhaps a more traditional spot/glazing putty filler that is easier to sand than straight filler and is meant for final touch-ups. I forget what type of paint you said you used.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:14 pm

I used plenty of it also and a managed to hide a great big router gouge in my sidewall amoung other things..
Give it a try youll be alot happier
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby SilverJKU » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I used the West System epoxy and their 404 filler for my patches. The problem is that on the bare wood it seemed like I had it all smooth by touch. I painted it with the garage door closed due to the cool weather and garage lighting isn't the best as you know. Everything looked pretty good then but once I actually got it outside in good lighting did I see all the flaws. :thumbdown:

I am trying to decide whether to spend some big $$$ and buy a couple of 5x10 Dibond sheets to do the sides or maybe just some more 1/8" Birch to attach over top of my painted sides and then repaint those without having to do a bunch of filler work. So much for finishing it and getting it out of the garage before the snow and real cold hits. I can't even put the damn roof vent in yet because even with the little tiny tires on it I only have about 1-2" of garage door clearance. :x
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:34 pm

So much for finishing it and getting it out of the garage before the snow and real cold hits.

How about this option: Finish the trailer and then this spring fix all the imperfections with an appropriate filler material and repaint? Or cover in aluminum this spring?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby SilverJKU » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:
So much for finishing it and getting it out of the garage before the snow and real cold hits.

How about this option: Finish the trailer and then this spring fix all the imperfections with an appropriate filler material and repaint? Or cover in aluminum this spring?

Tony

I've been tossing that plan around too. Just so frustrating when you think everything is on track and then you hit a major flaw like this. We'll see how this weekend goes and if I can get the windows in and then got the door framing all finished I might have to just wait until the weather is better again and finish then.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:52 pm

It looks homey and comfortable already. :thumbsup: It even has a built-in dresser!
Benroys are among the best of teardrop styles.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:41 pm

BTW, I too think it looks comfy. You put the windows and door in and it'll really help hide the imperfections.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby SilverJKU » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. :) After taking a couple of days to simmer down and evaluate things, I think I am going to buy a random orbit sander and go over those areas again and see if I can get it looking smoother. At least that way I shouldn't need to re-epoxy everything and should be able to just re-paint when I'm done. I'll do it in the garage with the shop vac hooked up to the sander so hopefully it will collect most of the dust.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:10 pm

I have two problems with that, at least for me. Power sanders either have a soft backing that conforms to an uneven surface slightly and may not give you the fair result you are looking for (tending to sand everywhere equally); or they have a hard back that gives me fits. I will usually create gouges or swirls that are worse than what I was trying to remove with a hard back power sander. UMMV and maybe I have no skills in this regard, but beware.

What I think you need is a long board. I prefer hand powered so that it takes much longer to screw up. The long board will take the highs and leave the lows and is a much better choice for broad flat surfaces. They're easy to make from scrap material, too, or you could step up to a pneumatic one, if you have a big enough air compressor.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby SilverJKU » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:28 pm

KCStudly wrote:I have two problems with that, at least for me. Power sanders either have a soft backing that conforms to an uneven surface slightly and may not give you the fair result you are looking for (tending to sand everywhere equally); or the have a hard back that gives me fits. I will usually create gouges or swirls that are worse than what I was trying to remove with a hard back power sander. UMMV and maybe I have no skills in this regard, but beware.

What I think you need is a long board. I prefer hand powered so that it takes much longer to screw up. The long board will take the highs and leave the lows and is a much better choice for broad flat surfaces. They're easy to make from scrap material, too, or you could step up to a pneumatic one, if you have a big enough air compressor.

I definitely hear what you're saying. I suppose I could save the money on the sander for the moment and give the board idea a go. I really have nothing to lose at the moment and I can't possibly make it much worse.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:43 pm

I finally have some updates after nearly 4 months!! :applause:

After struggling to find some aluminum extrusions for my door frame I finally approached a friend who owns a production metal working shop about what I needed and he came up with a design for me. I was able to finish trimming the door as well. I have some spanner style screws for securing the hinges for a little bit of extra security. If I was doing it over again I would definitely use a continuous hinge hidden in the the door frame but that will be for the next time I build one.

Last edited by SilverJKU on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Today the weather was really nice so I decided to roll the trailer out of the garage and mock up the fenders and the tires/wheels to see how things look nearly complete and I am pretty happy with the overall proportions.

SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets