6'x6.5' 1969 tent trailer conversion to hard top.

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

6'x6.5' 1969 tent trailer conversion to hard top.

Postby Birdman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:00 am

Hi,
First off, i started by buying this 1969 tent trailer for $250. Canvas was in good shape so i figured what the hell.
It worked good but it was to low for me, so i lifted it and put it on 30" military tires. Then i painted it the same color as my offroad truck.
Then i decided to add some camo to it just for something different.

Now the floor needs replaced and i have decided to convert it to a hard top trailer. The canvas was just to long to put up so hard top i want.
I am going to keep the original sides and make a frame on the inside of them to make stronger and i have started the frame for the hard top that will attach on top of the original walls.
Floor to ceiling is 4' tall, since the trailer is 6'wide and 6.5' long i have decided the floor will be the bed like a teardrop idea and going across our feet i will put a bunk for my son (only 8 months at the moment).

So the construction of the top is 1x1 tube, it will be insulated and i have not decide what to put on the out side yet. I want 1/4" ply wood on the inside.
top is not done, just got the main frame done, now i can put some bracing in, then decide where i want the door.
Original trailer had a half door at the end, i want to put the door on the side.
found a guy local that has trailer windows, i am going to have a look at what he has this week end.

heads up
this will be kinda slow build, just doing a bit at a time over the winter.

here are picks from when i got it, to now.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 6'x6.5' 1969 tent trailer conversion.

Postby Birdman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 am

looks twisted, just because its just sitting on the frame.
Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Birdman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 am

So i put the frame on top to show what i am thinking, and i did a quick drawing.
there will be a door and a window on each side and a large window in the front. the bottom of the door i want to be just above the side marker light, yes that is kinda high i will have to make some steps but this will keep hi from water on the trail.
top of the roof to the ground is about 6' 5" so it is tall but shorter then my truck lol.

I know its not very stylish, but i am trying to work with what i got and keep it simple.

Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:47 am

Nothing wrong with using what you have, provided it isn't to far of a stretch, and your plan looks very doable. Consider moving the door back. It would be easier to get inside and get situated from the middle, whereas entering from the front you will have to make a turn and get yourself turned around. I realize at that height you won't be doing the "sit and spin", but I still think you'd be more comfortable with the door further back. The side wall will be stronger with a bit more panel ahead of the door, too.
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Birdman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:06 am

thats a good point.

i can move it back a bit but not much because of the bunk that will go the side to side at the back.
its 6.5' long, the bunk i was thinking 2.5' and i want the door to be 30" wide. this means i can move the door back about 18" from the front. Not ideal i know, but i sure that little bit could help.
it will help that it is a bit wider than most builds i have seen, most i see are 4' wide and this is 6'.

thank you for bringing this up, that is why i joined the site to hopefully get some feed back on making it better. :beer:
Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:55 pm

I believe mine is 20" back and works for me
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Birdman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:07 am

Graniterich wrote:I believe mine is 20" back and works for me

Thanks Graniterich. Do you happen to have a picture of inside yours?

thanks for the feedback
:beer:
Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Birdman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:16 am

Well i got my top tube work almost done, and sheet metal on. I put a seal between the sheet metal and tube so it shouldn't leak, then i put paintable silicon on the seam.
I also put silicon on the in side to seal and take any vibration out. going to paint the top today so i can get onto the aluminum angle around the outside edges. top will be a sand color to match the top of my Bronco.
here are a few pictures for where i am at.

here is one that shows the head room
Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Birdman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:20 am

I know its not pretty, its kinda the ugly duckling but it should work.
I got the top painted, turned ok i just rolled it on so its not perfect but after a few scratches from trees it will be ok.
I put a jack under the pintal and put a scale at the axle to get a rough idea of what the axle weight is and got 650lbs so not bad. Up graded all lights to LEDs, added maker light on the back across the top.

next is to make doors with windows and then start wiring so i can then insulate and finish the interior.

wont get towed with the F150 much but i might get a bit smaller tires for if i do, it tows great with it but if it was a tad lower it would be level. Its lifted to go behind my bronco.
Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 6'x6.5' 1969 tent trailer conversion to hard top.

Postby roamer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:10 pm

I like it! Makes sense to me. Keep it up. Each trailer is made for the conditions and use. Look forward to seeing your progress!
Dave

If you think you can't, you won't
roamer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Birdman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:28 am

roamer wrote:I like it! Makes sense to me. Keep it up. Each trailer is made for the conditions and use. Look forward to seeing your progress!

Thank you

i posted here to get feed back from ppl that have experience with trailers.

the rest of the work has to be done out side at my house so it willl be slow now that we are getting cold weather. hope to get doors made at least then i can put a heater inside it and work.

:beer:
Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Birdman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:16 am

Well, I got doors made. found windows on Kijiji for sale, got one for each door and one 5' long 18" tall to go across the front.
Doors are 22g sheet metal attached to 3/4" plywood, since the window was designed for 1.5" wall i had to put 3/4" ply wood around the window on the side to make it so i could attach the screen. Nothing fancy but should work. Just need to put door latches on. Doors will also have two seals, one foam around the edge and then ill put a seal on the inside to meet the door when closed.

Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Birdman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:58 am

well i got the walls insulated and plywood up, next step is to paint and get the mattress in there. once i have the mattress in i can start planning storage.
in the pictures below you will see the bunk for my son, i will be putting storage on each end of the bunk and a railing so he doesn't fall out lol. the bunk is 6' long and he is only 14 months now so it will be a few year before he needs the full length.

Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby roamer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Looking good!
I like awning windows. Nice to be able to have them open even if its raining.
Hope to find some for my build in the size I want.
Dave

If you think you can't, you won't
roamer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Birdman » Fri May 06, 2016 7:01 am

the ugly duckling got a bit of work done.

some interior started with some wood grain and mud flaps. Only got the front half of the interior in, have to start the back half after may2-4 weekend.

Birdman
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets