First Trailer Build - Design Phase

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

First Trailer Build - Design Phase

Postby JCDriller » Mon May 23, 2016 2:20 pm

I've begun thinking of how I would like to build my soft road trailer. I'm hoping to keep the foot print small while still providing a comfortable size. To accomplish this I have built my trailer around a pop up and a slide out.

The trailer requirements are:
Towable behind JKU
Full size bed (memory foam will be in 2 pieces)
2000w Gen. (Mostly for AC)
AC/propane heater (AC window unit will be in compartment under front bench seat, slide out when parked, stow while on the move for protection)
propane stove
Plenty of water (40g planned in tank over axle)
Indoor hot/cold sink
outdoor shower
Full standing room in kitchen and around table
Table must convert into small bed for children
200w Solar
dual group 31 batteries
matching 35" tires and wheels
rear will have a swing out tire carrier with spare (still thinking...)

So far the trailers foot print without the tongue is 5x10, with a 48" rear slide out and 30" pop up panel. The pop up will likely be supported via scissor hinge and struts while its sides will be cloth/isinglass for light. There will be trailer jacks all around for stability and at this time I'm trying to keep all mechanisms manual. The mechanism for the slide out is simple tubing and roller bearings, I found the idea here: https://www.lemonheadpress.com/bus-conversions/building-slide-tiny-home-school-bus-conversion/ . My materials would be 2x4 steel for the frame with steel skin; 4x4, 3x3 steel for the slide out mechanism and 1x1" steel structure above with 1/2" ply on the outside, 1" insulation and 1/8 or 1/4" on the inside. Outside would be skinned with something either aluminum or FRP.

My biggest concern at this time is weight. I'll try to put pin to paper this week sometime if I can. I honestly have no idea where it'll come in right now, likely too heavy... I may have to switch to a wood instead of steel for the wall's framing.

I'm open to all input, ideas and criticisms.

Rear slide out, bed and floor folded. Floor is 2 25" panels with a piano hinge. Stored to the rear of the floor is the 2 piece memory foam Full size mattress.

floor down:

Mattress down:

Closed view showing size vs. Jeep JKU:

View of slide out pushed in, all roofing removed. The kitchen sink/counter is offset from the wall to allow the pop out room to slide in. The floor is folded up.
Extended side view showing size vs. Jeep JKU:

Slide out mechanism closed, I'm also using 4 additional metal support that will help support the slide out when stowed:

Slide out mechanism open:

Skeleton closed up:

Skeleton open:

Rear closed up:

Rear Open:
JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First Trailer Build - Design Phase

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 23, 2016 3:02 pm

I know you can make a slide-out mechanism lighter than that. 4x4 steel is huge. Even if you make the slide-out lighter and have to resort to props/jack stands to support it in the open position.

Aren't you worried about water and dust coming in? A slide-out opens up a whole can of worms. Have you considered going up? You could do a foamie style cap on part of your 5 x 10 foot print and make a sleeping loft that pops up. That would be a lot easier to seal and would not require all of the structure needed for a cantilever situation.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JCDriller » Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 pm

KCStudly wrote:I know you can make a slide-out mechanism lighter than that. 4x4 steel is huge. Even if you make the slide-out lighter and have to resort to props/jack stands to support it in the open position.

Aren't you worried about water and dust coming in? A slide-out opens up a whole can of worms. Have you considered going up? You could do a foamie style cap on part of your 5 x 10 foot print and make a sleeping loft that pops up. That would be a lot easier to seal and would not require all of the structure needed for a cantilever situation.

The water and dust would be controlled with seals and gaskets that would be compressed when the slide out is fully open or closed.

I actually just ran across the pop up build by asorensen and absolutely want to go that way. Much better than soft sides and packs up nicely. I'm sure your correct about the steel size, could probably go 2x2 with 3x3 for the mechanisms, especially if I used trailer jacks to support it while open. I'm consistently over building projects and regretting their weight so I need to trim some fat.

Another thing I may do is get a spool gun and learn to weld aluminum, I've been eyeballing one of the new Lincoln multi-process welders... I'd save some major weight using a Steel rolling frame and aluminum superstructure. What are you guys doing to combat galvanic corrosion?
JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Can someone send me a link to that... ?

Mike...

JCDriller wrote:I actually just ran across the pop up build by asorensen
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby 3GKnight » Mon May 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Very cool concept. Looks like a whole lotta steel though. We must be kindred overbuilding spirits.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 23, 2016 11:58 pm

mikeschn wrote:Can someone send me a link to that... ?

Mike...

JCDriller wrote:I actually just ran across the pop up build by asorensen

Offroad Pop-up by asorensen
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JCDriller » Tue May 24, 2016 2:20 am

Started making a few changes to the design based upon feedback, it's a work in progress, but already improving.

changes:
1. I made the trailer octagonal, this will allow me to move the slide-out mechanism inside where it will be protected from the elements. this will provide tons of storage behind the slide out, such a closest that appear when the slide out is out. It can also used to house external storage such as the shower. I may reduce its overall diameter though.
2. I reduced the size of the slide out mechanism to 2x2" .25 tubing with a 3x3 .25 outer shell that will hold the bearings.
3. I will be adding trailer jacks to the slide out to support it while extended.
4. I changed the slide out to a simple square design, kept the angled rear bottom, but decided I should separate the slide out just incase it ever drags on something. I don't want to torque the slide out.
5. I'm leaning more and more towards a steel/wood or steel/aluminum hybrid skeleton to keep the weight down.
6. I'll be doing a hard sided pop up, no more cloth and isinglass, although I haven't had time to model that.

JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JCDriller » Tue May 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Finished the pop top design, as stated inspired by asorensen.

JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mushin » Tue May 24, 2016 7:32 pm

Sounds like a cool idea, but anybody else not seeing the pictures?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mushin
Teardrop Master

Postby JCDriller » Tue May 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Mushin wrote:Sounds like a cool idea, but anybody else not seeing the pictures?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm using photo bucket which isn't known for being a perfect photo host. Hopefully they will work shortly.
JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 24, 2016 8:25 pm

I'm seeing them no problem. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue May 24, 2016 9:53 pm

I only see them if I use an updated browser.

I normally use Opera 12.16 since it allows me to use menus of links
instead of the limited start page. That browser does not show any
pictures from Photobucket unless they are clicked on.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JCDriller » Wed May 25, 2016 12:10 am

Frame weight is 1274 using the following materials, this doesn't include axles or tongue box, interior build, etc. Only what is pictured below.

2x4 .1875 and 2x2 .1875 for the frame
2x2 .25 and 3x3 .25 for the slider mechanisms
1x1 .1875 for the skeleton

Tomorrow I'll run numbers for smaller steel in frame, thinner steels and using aluminum for the 1x1 skeleton.

JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asorensen » Wed May 25, 2016 11:04 am

I love the design work your doing and thanks for the the shout out. I really like the look of the chamfered top edge and slide out ideas. I'm keen to see how the pop-up plays out for you. I have been very happy with space it has provided for me and my two youngest kids still sleep up there. I spent quite a bit of time looking at how to achieve that extra room in the simplest, lightest, heat efficient, wet proof and economical way and I was very happy with the solution. You may have noticed in my thread that I'm planning gas lift shocks in the near future which will definetely aid in set up and increase what I can store on the roof.
Have fun!
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby JCDriller » Fri May 27, 2016 11:59 pm

Made a little .gif to show the progress. Still worried about the weight...

JCDriller
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets