Steel tubing inner frame with wood ply skin question

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Steel tubing inner frame with wood ply skin question

Postby lilgription » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Getting the bug for another build. Thinking of going with a steel tubing inner frame. How many of you have went this route? I have my build sketched out on paper , going with a 4x8 design, square back for more galley room. My main question I guess is I’m also considering skinning this with a thin wood ply then using Durabak or similar product. I’m wanting the strong frame with the ability of a more cost friendly way of skinning. I understand that I will need to drill and screw the ply into place. Dread that part. Lol.trying to build this strong and light as possible all at the same time, of course this is all our dilemma. A roof rack will have to be added to haul my fishing kayaks. Hope all that makes sense. Any constructive ideas are welcome.
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Steel tubing inner frame with wood ply skin question

Postby azgreg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Not an off road build but maybe some ideas here.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6 ... n#p1161189
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 am

Look at aspenx's builds over at expedition portal. I forget what he skinned with but he did steel framed trailers.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 am

Strong
Light weight
inexpensive

Pick two! :lol:

I have heard a lot of good things about 3M VHB tape. It is used a lot in the semi trailer, box van industry.

I am in the last stages of my first offload build and have been thinking about another build already. Partly because I way over build. :? I have been kicking around the idea of tubing. But I keep thinking to use aluminum over steel. When you factor cost of alu vs steel and add your time in labor the cost difference probably isn't that much. I haven't welded alu in years 30+ so have a learning curve there, but my but I can add a spool gun to my welder for a few hundred bucks. Get an alu blade for the chop saw and it would be like cutting wood. Something to think about.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby lilgription » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am

Ottsville wrote:Look at aspenx's builds over at expedition portal. I forget what he skinned with but he did steel framed trailers.

I followed aspens builds for a long time. Love his stuff.
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lilgription » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:21 am

KTM_Guy wrote:Strong
Light weight
inexpensive

Pick two! :lol:

I have heard a lot of good things about 3M VHB tape. It is used a lot in the semi trailer, box van industry.

I am in the last stages of my first offload build and have been thinking about another build already. Partly because I way over build. :? I have been kicking around the idea of tubing. But I keep thinking to use aluminum over steel. When you factor cost of alu vs steel and add your time in labor the cost difference probably isn't that much. I haven't welded alu in years 30+ so have a learning curve there, but my but I can add a spool gun to my welder for a few hundred bucks. Get an alu blade for the chop saw and it would be like cutting wood. Something to think about.

Todd

Yeah. The struggle is real. Lol. I have an endless supply of steel tubing for pennies on the dollar. I’ve got a whole wall of it stacked in my garage currently. So the steel part is covered. This tear will be bare bones compared to most others. I only camp in back country and don’t use all the electrical gadgets such as fridges, a/c , etc. just a propane stove and a cooler will suffice.
I have enough 1x2 tubing to completely frame the body and enough 1x1 for spars and light framing.
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GTS225 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Psst! 3/4" EMT. Ya gotta clean off the zinc on your weld area, but it welds together well, and one can whip up some slip-in splice joints for butt welding when needed. Real close to 7/8" O.D., so foam dimensions may give you a problem, but with the galvanizing, it'll be quite rust resistant.
I welded up a framework for a roof on my T-bucket, and was surprised how strong the structure was when I got done.

Just a suggestion.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby FM82 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 pm

My build is along the lines you mentioned. I'm a freshly added newb, so I haven't started my build thread, but mine is a steel tubing frame, build on to a 5x7 base. What I'm using for the exterior is a composite material commonly used in the sign industry. It has a very strong poly core, sandwiched between two thin pieces of aluminum. One of the major attractants of this, for me, was that it comes in uncommon sizes. I ordered 5'x10' sheets. Easily bendable, waterproof. Can be painted, or it can be ordered in a specific color of your choosing.

Do a search for "composite sign board". You'll find all of the info you need.

Oh, and mine will also have a roof rack. At the moment, I have the mounting points located on the sides, with nuts welded to the inner side of the steel tubing. My plan was to just drill a hole in the outer skin, and use washers, but I may change to using rivet nuts straight in from the outer skin, riveting together the outer skin and steel frame. I haven't tested the composite material for it's compression strength, so the rivet nuts are TBD at the moment.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Just came across your thread again, and I realized my suggestion wasn't cost effective. With that said, I'm curious about your plans and concerns with using wood for skinning.

Any new info since you first posted this?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ricky herbold » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:19 pm

I went with the steel inner frame.
Attachments
8CC084A5-1EB6-42AD-AC2D-21346667C0A0.jpeg
8CC084A5-1EB6-42AD-AC2D-21346667C0A0.jpeg (853.75 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

Postby retep » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:12 am

I am so jealous. I wish I had the knowledge to weld like you. Still toying with going that route.

May I ask how much time you spent (approx) welding trailer, walls and bends to this point?

Looking great!!! I'll be watching your build

Cheers
Peter
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby ricky herbold » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:15 am

The walls are not bad at all. I rolled and tacked everything together in a couple nights after work.
Check out my build journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71912

retep wrote:I am so jealous. I wish I had the knowledge to weld like you. Still toying with going that route.

May I ask how much time you spent (approx) welding trailer, walls and bends to this point?

Looking great!!! I'll be watching your build

Cheers
Peter
ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets