New Member....new build

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Member....new build

Postby Franco Novo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:20 am

Hi there....Franco here
quickly....I'm from Florida, spending summer in Pennsylvania...going to build a quick one to tow back down South
I tow with a Ford Focus...have a lot of experience as a boatbuilder...small boats...and I'm going to build theImage Nano weekender.....just the box now....finishing touches when I get back down to florida

What is the purpose of the front slant where the Tongue Box goes....I was just going to carry that all the way down for ease..and more room perhaps.

OK..tha'ts it for now

Franco....what a cool site this is
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Re: New Member....question already ;)

Postby Franco Novo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:53 am

I was referring to the front bottom,, if I can get a logical answer for the cut back design, then, I'll build it that way
otherwise, continue straight down would be the way to go.
Attachments
nano_weekenderfront drop.jpg
I t's the front cutback area I refer to
If there is a logical reason for it, then I shall build it that way. ';)
nano_weekenderfront drop.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Re: New Member....new build

Postby dales133 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:45 pm

I'd say probably aero dynamics and asthetics but I'd be inclined to do as you plan, gain a decent amount more room for no extra work
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Franco Novo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Thank you for your response
I do like it as a design element....but it's not absolutely necessary, true.
good point about aerodynamics....
;)
Franco
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dales133 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:56 pm

If you added a tounge box I recon it would look better with the straight front
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby azgreg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:53 am

dales133 wrote:If you added a tounge box I recon it would look better with the straight front

That's what I was thinking.

I was just looking at Mike's thread on the Nano the other day and hoping someone would make one. This should be fun.
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:06 am

I angled that front edge down to be able to use the HF 4x8 trailer. If you go vertical instead of an angle you either end up with a shorter box, or a longer trailer, which adds more weight and cost.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:51 am

If I were building it I would leave the extra space in tact. It is hidden in the draft of the tow vehicle so the aerodynamic argument goes out the window.
Build the floor in a manner in which it will support a cantilever and be sure and reinforce and lengthen the HF stock tongue for strength and improved towing manners.

Tongue topics......

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=63692&p=1134721#p1134721
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby azgreg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:03 am

mikeschn wrote:I angled that front edge down to be able to use the HF 4x8 trailer. If you go vertical instead of an angle you either end up with a shorter box, or a longer trailer, which adds more weight and cost.

Mike...

In the post on the other thread you sais this:

mikeschn wrote:
Strangelymade wrote:Please carry on with this, the prototype looks great already, be exciting to see what you'll be using as the frame and wheels.

Nothing fancy with the frame and wheels... Just using a standard HF trailer, that has about 15" chopped off the length... For the really fancy light weight stuff, you have to see Andrew's stuff in the design library!

Mike...

Wouldn't this mean that a standard HF trailer still be used and will actually still need to be shortened a tad?
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby Franco Novo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:27 pm

I probably won't build a cargo box....
But it sounds like extending the tongue is recommended...
Trying to keep cost down, so I'll do the angle iron bolt on as recommended by one poster., since I haven't welded in forever, and don't trust my welding skills.

good info, thank you
Franco
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Franco Novo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:04 pm

New Member building alone, flipping the trailer Frame ???

Postby Franco Novo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 pm
I posted this in trailer frames, but it was way down the list.....so pardon the double post
I got the Harbor Freight folding trailer...budget constraints, and got it at a good Sale Price, 4th of July

NOw, I got the front part built
Next, it;s advising me to build rear portion, flip trailer over to install axle, and then flip it upright.
BUT...I'm by myself doing this

Is there a way to build the entire thing in an upright position....Or, can I mount the axle on just the back , then flip that over to join it with the front.
I'm NOT using the fold-able option, By the Way.

What's the easy way....since I doubt I'll be able to flip it over all by myself.

Thanks much
Franco
8)
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jss06 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Franco, the Harbor Freight trailer should be light enough for you to turn it over by yourself. just leave the wheels/tires off until it is upright.

This is what that design looks like with an integrated tongue box.

The rest of my trailer is longer than what you are building but that is what it could look like. The box is a pain to build but it was worth the extra effort. I used this profile purely for aesthetics. The lower slope does nothing for aerodynamics.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Franco Novo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Wow, that's a great looking combination you've got there John.
I do like the front cutback....maybe I'll just build a narrow tongue box because in rethinking things... I don't want to go adding on to the tongue length

Looks like you kept the back of the little weekender straight up and down. correct?..that still looks great without the little slant on the back.
Super...thanks for the feedback, and the photo . that's going into the build idea file.
Best,
Franco
Last edited by Franco Novo on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:25 am

ah, you're right. on the nano that angle was strictly for looks. you could go vertical, making it more like the rimple or the simple!!!

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear46.htm

Mike...

azgreg wrote:Wouldn't this mean that a standard HF trailer still be used and will actually still need to be shortened a tad?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jss06 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:59 am

Franco Novo wrote:Wow, that's a great looking combination you've got there John.
I do like the front cutback....maybe I'll just build a narrow tongue box because I don't want to go adding on to the tongue length

Looks like you kept the back of the little weekender straight up and down. correct?..that still looks great without the little slant on the back.
Super...thanks for the feedback, and the photo . that's going into the build idea file.
Best,
Franco

Yes the back is vertical. Originally I was going to do the angled back but realized it was much easier to build the hatch with it flat and it increased the storage room in the galley.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves