Hello From Beautiful Whidbey Island, Washington

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello From Beautiful Whidbey Island, Washington

Postby RunnerDuck » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:10 pm

I've been snooping around this forum for a while and I believe I'm ready to take the next big step. I'm going to build a "Teardrop"! Please stop me now if you think I'm nuts but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have done woodworking for many years and have a fairly well equipped woodshop. I have a neighbor who has built two "Tiny Travel Trailers" although they were not "Teardrops".

He feels that he has the skills to build the frame and shell of my teardrop and I feel I have the skills to do all the cabinetry and other woodworking. What could possibly go wrong :frightened:

I'll be relying on many of you to share your experience with me and tolerate my many stupid questions to come.

I enjoy photography and will be uploading many photos as I progress through this adventure.

Wish me luck and it's great to be here, let the party begin!
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: Hello From Beautiful Whidbey Island, Washington

Postby Racquetman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Welcome, and good luck with your build, I will be interested to see the progress as your project matures! By the way, I live in Woodinville Wa. maybe we'll cross paths one of these days.
Racquetman
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum.
It is always nice to see more new members from the PNW. :applause:
This Forum as more build information then you could ever imagine. :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:26 pm

If I can do it, you can do it. Welcome to the madness.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby springdew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:59 am

RunnerDuck wrote:Please stop me now if you think I'm nuts but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Ha! As if!

I think we're all nuts and wouldn't dream of stopping you.
For everything there is in this world, there is someone who likes it.
Planning and build journal for Yiayia's Waggon: At Home on the Road

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:45 am

with some of the problems I have had with the one I had built, I am wishing now I had built my own. If you look really, really, really hard to your east side over the water you maybe able to see mine being I am just across the water from you about 4 or 5 miles away on Camano - Indian Beach area. I am 1 1/2 north of Cama Beach/Camano State Park.
Start with a good frame (no harbor freight bolt together- use a welded REAL frame with REAL wheels and tires on it) and Dexter torsion bar suspension if possible. They work great!!! Maybe a little more costlier but you will be happier with it in the long run with a "GOOD" base starting out.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby RunnerDuck » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:14 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It sounds like this is going to be fun.
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby RunnerDuck » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:16 am

gudmund wrote:with some of the problems I have had with the one I had built, I am wishing now I had built my own. If you look really, really, really hard to your east side over the water you maybe able to see mine being I am just across the water from you about 4 or 5 miles away on Camano - Indian Beach area. I am 1 1/2 north of Cama Beach/Camano State Park.
Start with a good frame (no harbor freight bolt together- use a welded REAL frame with REAL wheels and tires on it) and Dexter torsion bar suspension if possible. They work great!!! Maybe a little more costlier but you will be happier with it in the long run with a "GOOD" base starting out.

I'm just curious as to how big your TD is and what size tubing you used for your frame.

I looked across the pond but I don't quite see you ;)
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:31 pm

They used a commercially made cargo trailer, it has 2x2 box steel for the frame material with the torsion bar suspension. it is a 4 x8 but if I was to do it over again, I would go with a 5 x 8 along with bigger side doors. Mine are 32t x 26w, would go instead with the 36 inch tall ones. Had already lost the hair before I bought the trailer so now it is just skin I lose every so often when I forget to keep my head down when getting in or out. Someday day I may replace them with the bigger ones-would be easy to do except for the $300 cost per door to replace each one.
You know, there will be a old time trailer show get together in Lynden (north of Bellingham) on the second weekend of Sept. (10 thru 13) It is free to come and look - not just teardrops, it will be of any vintage trailers, a historical walk thought trailer history. Right now we, the Tearjerkers PNW group are planning on being there which is to include Verdette with his trailer Miss Piggy from Canada who posted a welcome to you a few postings back. We right now have about 14 of us planning on being there with teardrops (the fires may change plans between now and then, but right now we are still on for being there) so come on up and make a day of it. It is at the Whatcom County Fair Grounds right in Lynden. Guide Meridian north from Bellingham, turn right at the cemetery, go a block or so east you will see the fair grounds on the right just before you will be entering the town of Lynden. About 12/13 miles north of the Bellisfair Mall off ramp on Guide Meridian (3 miles short of being in Canada).
gudmund
500 Club

Postby RunnerDuck » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:24 pm

gudmund wrote:They used a commercially made cargo trailer, it has 2x2 box steel for the frame material with the torsion bar suspension. it is a 4 x8 but if I was to do it over again, I would go with a 5 x 8 along with bigger side doors. Mine are 32t x 26w, would go instead with the 36 inch tall ones. Had already lost the hair before I bought the trailer so now it is just skin I lose every so often when I forget to keep my head down when getting in or out. Someday day I may replace them with the bigger ones-would be easy to do except for the $300 cost per door to replace each one.
You know, there will be a old time trailer show get together in Lynden (north of Bellingham) on the second weekend of Sept. (10 thru 13) It is free to come and look - not just teardrops, it will be of any vintage trailers, a historical walk thought trailer history. Right now we, the Tearjerkers PNW group are planning on being there which is to include Verdette with his trailer Miss Piggy from Canada who posted a welcome to you a few postings back. We right now have about 14 of us planning on being there with teardrops (the fires may change plans between now and then, but right now we are still on for being there) so come on up and make a day of it. It is at the Whatcom County Fair Grounds right in Lynden. Guide Meridian north from Bellingham, turn right at the cemetery, go a block or so east you will see the fair grounds on the right just before you will be entering the town of Lynden. About 12/13 miles north of the Bellisfair Mall off ramp on Guide Meridian (3 miles short of being in Canada).

Thanks for the information, lots to consider.

Unfortunately I'll be unable to attend the gathering in Lynden. I would of absolutely loved to go but will be in Californi at that time.

It sounds like the PNW Tearjerkers are a fairly active group. I went to the Tearjearkers web site and didn't see much activity other than different shows. Do you have any sort of forum or do you all rely on TnTTT?

Thanks again,

KennyB
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Yes, the Tear Jerkers have a Forum which is pretty much exactly the same format as the TnTTT and you can toggle back an forth between them as the are linked together. (See TD Friendly Websites at the top of this page)
As PNW Director for the Tear Jerkers I would love for you to join our Chapter.
There are no dues, no meetings, no obligations, no commitments.....but we do have a newly established Roster with over 90 members already signed up in the past 10 months.
Communications regarding up coming events, new members, and other Teardrop related in formation is passed on to our members via email about once a month.
Please PM me if you or anyone else is interested in being added to our growing Roster.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves