Missouri Newbie - Step 1 trailer?

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Missouri Newbie - Step 1 trailer?

Postby ClayclanMO » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 pm

All,
Thanks for the forum, valuable advice, and no better way to learn than from your experience. I'm excited to begin my labor of love. I like the outdoors and camping and I'm ready to work on a project.
I'm an computer guy, but hobby as a woodworker, the chink in my armor is my welding - which i haven't done in 30 years. So, Being new to this forum i apologize for my ignorance in finding an answer to my first question.
Should I find a custom made trailer, or Northern tools ? I'm looking to do a 5'x8' trailer and would prefer 15" tires, 3500 lb axle, electric brakes or not ?. Just not sure I'm comfortable with a bolt together trailer, honestly don't know why.
Appreciate any feedback or advice.
ClayclanMO
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Missouri Newbie - Step 1 trailer?

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've built 2 both on custom frames but I'm currently using one that was a bolt together that was welded after the fact. both of the custom built welded ones were heavier though. Nothing says you can't get a bolt together and have it welded after it bolted and squared.

Gary
PS where in MO are you located? We're just north east of KC.
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby ClayclanMO » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks for the advice on the trailer. The bolt trailer with a bit of welding and perhaps some gussets might do the trick. Between me and my brother that might work.
I've heard that Harbor Freight no longer sells trailers, but I haven't checked. I've seen Great northern has a 5'x10' - I'm leaning to that size.
I apologize on all the questions, but I'll take a shot at a couple more questions:
Do you have any advice on the sizing 5'x10' or 4'x8'?
What about the size of tires ?
Did you do brakes ?
So, you've done two and working on third - you're either working on perfection, or giving them away.

I'm located in St. Louis, it's difficult to find any resources or people working on teardrops. I got interested in these a couple years ago, but my day job is getting in the way of my hobby. I still think this is something I would really love to do and could put to good use.

Appreciate the feedback.
ClayclanMO
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 am

Size tends to depend on taste and tow vehicle. I tow with a chev 1500 so that's not that critical. Second consideration is comfort. I'd go 5 x 10 personally. the 2 that I've built were 5 x 11, built on a 5x10 frame, and 6 x 12. both were a winter warrior type which has a back hatch that lifts up so you can stand in the back with a inside galley. We'd camped for 3 yrs in a 4x8 little guy which back than wasn't even 4x8 at the floor. You learn to really love you sleeping mate in one of those. Have to roll over as a group. any way we decided we were tired of trying to wiggle into our clothes on our backs and went with something different.

On tires the first had 13's the second had 14's and personally I couldn't tell the difference as far as towing went. again that's a preference unless you need the extra weight capacity than the 14's will carry more.

Both trailers had brakes but when I bought a new tow vehicle the brake controller I had didn't work and I towed the larger one without them in the ozark mountains no problem.

I've done 2 I sold the first after 7 yrs and the second developed terminal rot problem and the frame is in the back waiting to be the third. I'll build something alot like the second since it was about perfect for Trudy and me.
Here's pics of the 2 I did. We're currently camping in one that Mike built that's is alot like my first.
Anyway hope this helps.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby ClayclanMO » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks for the advice and the pics - they look great. As you know you can get a lot of ideas, but each idea comes with some more $$'s. So, once I settle on a trailer I'll touch base and give you an update. For the most part this would be for me and my youngest son, my wife finds no joy camping. I'm hoping to get this knocked out and eventually give this to my son, of course I have two boys - so I guess there will be two if all goes well. Thanks again and good luck.
Tom
ClayclanMO
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 pm

If you happen to see the other threads, seems bolt togethers from NT and HF are all pulled off the market.

Personally, I favor the scratch built, but titling seems like a challenge, at least in many states.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby ferbal » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Craigslist is a great place to find a trailer. I am building on a nice galvanized boat trailer. It cost me $100, I had to cut the tongue down but I have a nice 5 x 10 platform to build on. But I see lightly used HF trailers all the time reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves