Hello from Michigan

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Michigan

Postby kntckytear » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:50 am

Hello everyone, Just a note about me and what's going on in my head. I grew up in Kentucky (hence the username) but have lived in Southwest Michigan for the majority of my life. In a little less than a month my wife and I will be empty-nesters for the firt time in 20 years. That brings us to the point about what's going on in my head. Long story short, we've been camping with a pop-up since the kids were little. Since they've gotten older we haven't used our camper in about 3 years. My wife and I camp but use a tent for the 2 of us so I now have an old unused camper that hasn't been opened in quite a while and is really too much for the 2 of us. I've loved the idea of the teardrop and thought about getting one. Then it hit me....I have the beginnings of one sitting in my yard. After looking around on the internet for plans I came across this forum and so here I am.

I have the donor frame for my camper but now I need to figure out the best use for it. Right now I have 3 ideas. The frame as it is right now is 7x11.

Plan A would be to trim it down in width to 5' and do a 5x8 floorplan probably in a more traditional profile along the lines of a Kit design. It would have a 3' platform on the front for hauling gear or bikes. I can get 5x8 ply at the local big green store so the floor and walls (4x8) could all be done without having to join any wood together. It's a little small but unless it's raining (like it did on our trip last month) we only need it to sleep in. We never cooked inside the popup, just used the external hookups for the stove so the galley would be nice to have. Still outside but not having to set eveything up. I'm figuring pullouts for the propane stove and our electric cooler. Then some cupboard space for all the stuff that's currently in totes.

Plan B would be trimming it down but making it 10' long with just a small storage box on the front. It would probably be more of a Benroy profile. The upside would be a little more room and the downside would be more material cost. Other than that, it would be the same as the 5x8.

Plan C would be to leave the frame as it is and make a 7x11 standy. It would probably be a modified version of Steve Frederick's Rondack Lodge. The galley would be removed in favor of 2 narrower beds running along the walls with an aisle between them instead of 1 bed running across the camper. After years of sleeping in the popup it was decided that from now on one of us wasn't going to have to crawl over the other to get in and out of bed. The dinette area would be nice for the times when the weather doesn't want to coooperate.

I'm really leaning towards Plan A for my first build (notice I'm leaving it open for the idea of a future build). Mainly from a cost standpoint and just to get my feet wet.

Now for the interactive part of this post. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas on how to proceed?
kntckytear
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Michigan

Postby Ottsville » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:53 am

I'm partial to the two bunks in a standy. As with you, I think crawling over somebody is a pain. I'm surprised that floor plan isn't available in more RV's. With a tear, you also need two doors to not have to climb over someone.

I also like having space to be inside when weather isn't good.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:49 am

Hello kntckytear and welcome . I am in the 5/8 th's zone of my build , over the half way and I started 2015 . Don't let the time line scare you. Family events and some life changing things caused 2016 to be a no build year. 2017 was a get back on track year with plenty of success. That being said , I personally shot for 5 x 10 and ended up 5 x 9 and inches. But am glad of the length and I would do it again. The interior is 76 x 56 3/4 in between the queen size and full bed realm . It has afforded me some inside storage and the feeling of the ceiling and cabinets not in my face . My wife and I are of average build and height. Also I should say we are at the very beginning of retirement . I'm in it and waiting another year for her to retire. So the age and physical ability to, may be a consideration. I think for me being able to park inside my garage during non use periods Is easily done. Sounds like a good start with your frame from your previous camper. That was 2015 for me I welded up my frame and ordered the axle from a Texas supplier. I understand the thought behind 5x8 material . Using full sheet stock has it's advantages. Don't let that scare you from joining material ( my opinion). I used premium ply - baltic birch 5'x5' sheets . some scarffed , some butt joined and some splind . Did it take a little more time yes but not in the total scheme of things. I think having your platform will eliminate what I had to do in the beginning with the frame. It's so subjective . As I have viewed this forum over the years I have seem very few TD's that fit a pattern or mold closely . Home build's are unique thus the reason there are very few plans or prints that are explicit. Again welcome to the group it is a good resource.151342155077151225
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I would say in the middle of A and B. :lol:

This is just my opinion based on what works for us. We are close to you in that, we were empty nesters for a year but last fall my daughter moved back home. She will be looking for a place again soon. We camped with a pop-up when the kids were young, Then the wife and I move to a tent camping off a motorcycle. Then Jeep, tent camping, and now moving to teardroping with a Jeep. When are you located? I bet we did a lot of camping in your area in MI.

I like the idea of a standy if you need more room or have bad back, bad knees, claustrophobic. We will probably build one when we can't do the tear anymore. And I'll say one of my favorite things camping is a cold night and spooning with my best friend who is also my wife. :lol: A double sleeping bag was one of the best things we bought for camping. I wouldn't give that up. But I do agree with you about climbing over at night.

Our tear will be about 9'. I started with a full XL mattress and added cabinets and galley till I have the size that worked for us, and gave us a profile we liked. If you don't need the leg room (80" for a full XL or queen) or are okay with making a custom mattress you can size the cabin to what ever works for you. We are going with a memory foam mattress because well because we can. I also went 4'6" high to give more head room and for a 8" thick mattress. We are 58" wide to stay within a sheet of Baltic Birch. If you always camp in campgrounds I think planning is a little easier, for electric, water, bathroom, table, because you'll have all that. We plan to mostly boondock so have to think about those things more.

Berb is right about joining plywood, not that hard. And building with curves is not hard either. 1/8" Baltic Birch is key to easy bending.
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Roaddawgie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Sounds like good options. I say keep it simple for the initial build and maximize outdoor time. I am in the same dilemma in that I am bouncing between build or buy ...I think im gonna buy the first one and maximize the outdoor life. Then as time permits (long winters here in Utah) maybe do a build to keep me off the streets. Now that I think of it with a good rig I can winter in AZ 8)

good luck and welcome
Roaddawgie
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves