Hello from Idaho!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Idaho!

Postby Lithosis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi there everyone!

My name is Randal. I'm a civil engineer working in Idaho Falls. I'm currently in the planning stage of building a teardrop that I can pull behind my Subaru Outback. I haven't even put a hitch on my Outback yet! I've always been an advocate of tent camping, but I'm starting to want more of the comforts that a trailer will provide.

I'm getting pulled in two different directions right now for the design. I love the CLC kits, but would prefer to build a custom 10' version. The other direction is the more rugged offroad/weekender looking builds. This is the direction I expect I'll go. I want the functionality of the simple design, and one of my biggest wants is to have a large stargazing window. If you guys have any specific build threads that had huge ceiling windows feel free to point me in their direction.

If anyone is doing a meet up in the Idaho area let me know and I'll probably try to stop in.
Lithosis
Teardrop Builder

Re: Hello from Idaho!

Postby Tophog » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:37 pm

Welcome.

I'm new to TDs, so I can't offer much insight, but . . . I've been in the sign business for over 30 years. So I am familiar with some plastics.

For my TD mod, I'm installing a front window made from smoke tinted 1/8" thick Lexan (polycarbonate sheet). It conforms to a 36" radius, is sawable, drillable, shatterproof, etc. It can actually be heat formed to amazing contours, but I am not going to those extremes.

Youtube videos will show how to bend it into a 90 degree corner, but I'm not that brave!

For a skylight, you can get clear, smoke, other tints. If it's a flat skylight, or mild curve, even thicker sheet will work. I have some 1/4" stuff that's used for school window replacement that's indestructable! :)

Seal it like you would a glass pane and you're good to go.

Anyway, good luck with your build.

Bob
Tophog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lithosis » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am

Oh, cool. That certainly opens up some fun options for the roofing material. I'll need to do some research into that stuff. Thanks for the idea!
Lithosis
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 am

Randal:

Sorry to hear your from I.F. :D

I don't think the stargazer window is a big challenge (but I haven't installed one in any of my builds).

Take a look at Clamlamp's build for installation ideas:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69792

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lithosis » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Haha! I know right. Gotta go where the work is though. I'll be moving on from IF soon enough I expect.

That's an awesome build thread. I'll probably at least double the size of the windows he did. I'm a little worried about how much temperature I'll lose through the window, but I do still have mummy bags if I decide to go out in freezing temperatures.
Lithosis
Teardrop Builder

Postby Xanthoman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:31 am

I was hoping someone from eastern Idaho got on in the last year or so since I was poking around. I am in Rexburg. Any progress on the tear? I am a mechanical engineer with emphasis on manufacturing and composites so if you’re needing ideas how to get around anything I would love to help!
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves