Good Morning from Utah

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Good Morning from Utah

Postby cameronrm » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 am

Hello All. I'm Ron Cameron, from Taylorsville, Utah. I've been exploring tiny trailers for about 6 months or so, thinking that I'd like to build one when retire next year. I have some building experience, but not with anything like this, so I thought I'd start researching early so I'd know if this is something I really want to do. I'm leaning toward a foamie. I have a Sant Fe that I really enjoy driving and would like to be able to pull whatever I build with that car. If anyone reads this and has suggestions, please offer them, as I am very open to being taught by the more experienced. I'm grateful to have found this group, as it looks like the place to be to do what I'm envisioning.
cameronrm
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Good Morning from Utah

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:43 am

Welcome to the forum.

I’m building my first teardrop so I’m no expert. It has been has been fun. Hoping to be able to use it in a month or so. I’m mixed on the foamy build. I like the traditional teardrop look, and haven’t see many foamies with that look. Maybe my next one will be a foamy. The other problem is I can’t find 2” foam in the Phoenix area.

We are planning on doing 4-5 trips to Utah next year. I’ve only been once and have so much we want to go and see.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Welcome to the Forum.
I might suggest coming to a Tear Jerkers gathering (see link above) and see what folks have done.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Ron, welcome to the fun

Lots of good ideas can be found on this forum.
I spend a good 6 months just lurking and trying to narrow down a design.
Time well spend in the end. :thumbsup:
When you start building, remember we like :pictures:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby cameronrm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I"m lurking around right now, and have been for about two weeks, and will continue to "lurk" for about 5 or 6 more months. I'm looking for a retirement project. Something I can do and enjoy and perhaps even use. I'm leaning very strongly toward a large foamie. I'd like to be able to stand up in it - so it would have to be about 6'6" inside. I'm looking at everything having to do with foamie construction, including the thought of use heat to form the roof curves. I keep reading that foam and TBII both become soft when heated. I used to bend PVC pipe with controlled heat. I had a specially made heater that would roll the pipe until it was soft enough to carefully bend around a radius. It was tricky to begin with, but with a little practice it got pretty easy. Learning the heat levels was the trick. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

More to come as I get more educated from all the marvelous builds that you have all done.
cameronrm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Xanthoman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Welcome to the group. I have a ton of ideas on manipulation of foam products as my background is in a lot of foam construction and my composite engineering background expanded it a bit. I am building a very unique foam trailer this month which may be of interest to you, depending on the style you’re after. I am testing the theory and will recommend it or not when I am done! Haha! I hope to have it drivable by thanksgiving and am hoping to use it on our Thanksgiving trip in Lehi just south of you. If you’d like I can stop by and possibly answer/ talk about things with you. Admittedly, this is my first and I am not following any method currently proposed for the body. (I am using spray foam.)
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:10 am

Xanthoman, I'm located in Cedar City, Utah. If you come through, call/e-mail me and I'll show you around the shop. Or feel free to PM with some questions on general construction.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Xanthoman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Andrew,

I will see if I can get down that way. I wish I had known you were there, I just passed through a few weeks ago. I may message you with some questions if run into issues on my build. Thanks!
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nedfunnell » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:09 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:Xanthoman, I'm located in Cedar City, Utah. If you come through, call/e-mail me and I'll show you around the shop. Or feel free to PM with some questions on general construction.

I'll have to stop by as well next time I go down I-15!
nedfunnell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Xanthoman wrote:Andrew,

I will see if I can get down that way. I wish I had known you were there, I just passed through a few weeks ago. I may message you with some questions if run into issues on my build. Thanks!

No problem :)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves