Newb from NW Montana

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: Newb from NW Montana

Postby AllenS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 am

Just wanted to pipe in and say "hi" as well. We live in Missoula. I built a 6x10 Benroy last year, and of course I have half a dozen minor improvements I'm making to it right now. Hoping to get it out and on the road again in March, rain(snow) or shine. :twisted:

It was my first build, and if I spend too much time thinking about it I can come up with a million mistakes I made, but if I can offer any assistance at all, let me know.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby Vedette » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 pm

I look forward to meeting both of you guys!
This year the Tear Jerkers Farm Gathering has moved, and will be held in Kalispell MT. on July 25 to 28th,
Sandi and I will be there! :thumbsup:
I hope your builds are finished by then and that you can join us! :beer:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:40 pm

You might want to check with Montana's DMV on getting license plates on a home built trailer. I am going through that now in Arizona and if you have ANY part in a trailer from a car or truck you better have documentation where it came from. I am hoping to get my inspection tomorrow and was asking what they will be looking for, they told me 95% is looking for parts that would have come off a vehicle with a VIN. They don't even check if the lights work. I asked what would happen if you did have parts? She said don't bring it in without documentation and she said the state will check it. Luckily I don't have any.

Just something to look into before you get to far. Montana might be real easy about it.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tinman52 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:34 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:You might want to check with Montana's DMV on getting license plates on a home built trailer. I am going through that now in Arizona and if you have ANY part in a trailer from a car or truck you better have documentation where it came from. I am hoping to get my inspection tomorrow and was asking what they will be looking for, they told me 95% is looking for parts that would have come off a vehicle with a VIN. They don't even check if the lights work. I asked what would happen if you did have parts? She said don't bring it in without documentation and she said the state will check it. Luckily I don't have any.

Just something to look into before you get to far. Montana might be real easy about it.

Todd

Todd. I have my title and permanent plates already....my trailer isn't even close to finished. Here in MT they only inspect the VIN....As long as you pay the fees and fill out the correct forms they could care less.
Why does AZ care if you have auto parts on your trailer? Is it a safety inspection?
tinman52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinman52 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Nice to see there are some other Montana members here. I hope to meet up with some of you in my travels. Sounds like there is some sort of Farm gathering in my area?
I plan to have my TD done by June if all goes well.
tinman52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:13 am

tinman52 wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:You might want to check with Montana's DMV on getting license plates on a home built trailer. I am going through that now in Arizona and if you have ANY part in a trailer from a car or truck you better have documentation where it came from. I am hoping to get my inspection tomorrow and was asking what they will be looking for, they told me 95% is looking for parts that would have come off a vehicle with a VIN. They don't even check if the lights work. I asked what would happen if you did have parts? She said don't bring it in without documentation and she said the state will check it. Luckily I don't have any.

Todd

Todd. I have my title and permanent plates already....my trailer isn't even close to finished. Here in MT they only inspect the VIN....As long as you pay the fees and fill out the correct forms they could care less.
Why does AZ care if you have auto parts on your trailer? Is it a safety inspection?

Not for safety. I think mostly for stolen parts for trailers. People will buy a trailer without a title or steal one and cut off the vin number and say it is home built. I reworked the tongue on my teardrop last week so it wasn't painted to match the rest of the frame. When they questioned me on it I was able to show then pictures on my phone of the whole build. They didn't even check to see if the lights worked.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Vedette » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 am

tinman52 wrote:Nice to see there are some other Montana members here. I hope to meet up with some of you in my travels. Sounds like there is some sort of Farm gathering in my area?
I plan to have my TD done by June if all goes well.

Yes, and you definitely need to join us there.........I guarantee you will meet some great new friends! :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:33 am

I moved to Superior, MT last Summer. Home built 5x10, look forward to seeing some fellow tiny camper fans
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 am

'Farm Gathering' 25/28July19 - about 2/3 miles westside of Kalispell - Hy 2 - turn 'north' on West Springbrook Rd. for about a mile, than 'right' on Two Mile Dr.- east bound for about another mile - eyes wide open looking south to your right and when you see the "Nash" yard-art landmark pictured here - you are there!! (1292 Two Mile Dr.) 157385
gudmund
500 Club

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves