Newbie from RI, building for three weeks.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from RI, building for three weeks.

Postby ChesterCamp5x9.5x6 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:48 pm

I started thinking about DIY campers a year ago (Sept, 2018), and discovered tnttt a few months later. I started thinking about a 6x14, but I didn't want to pay for the gas to tow even a foamie. I recently settled on a 5 x 9.5 x 6 (inside dimensions), constructed as a foam on frame, but still trying to keep the weight reasonable. I started the build on Oct. 4th, 2019, and most might say I should have the trailer on hand before I start, but I haven't even ordered an aluminum Ultra-Tow 5 x 8 (182 lb.). I am calling it a foam on frame because it is a telescopic style, like some jewelry boxes, and I felt the structural rigidity of a frame was worth the cost of weighty wood. The lifting mechanism will be a single scissors jack in the center of the roof, to keep it simple, and I can lift the Top Box in two stages. The Top Box will be guided up and down with four corner vertical PVC pipe guides, one pipe (whole) mounter to wiggle a little, and a second larger fixed one (split it half lengthwise) to ride over it. I'm stretching the length to 9 1/2 feet long inside on an 8 foot trailer, with about 10 inches overhanging the back, and extended a similar amount in the front, using the space normally allotted to a tongue box, which I am giving up, in favor of more interior space. Nylon straps over the top, front and back, will secure the Top Box raised or lowered, supported inside with removable posts in the four corners, and I'm hoping to be able to line up the raised Top Box to use four corner bolts, as well, when raised. :thinking:
5 x 9.5 x 6 I.D. Foam on Frame on 5 x 8 alum Ultra-Tow trailer, eventually with a Prius TV.
ChesterCamp5x9.5x6
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie from RI, building for three weeks.

Postby rjgimp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:14 am

Wow, that's an ambitious design! Welcome to the nuthouse. :beer: Of course, since you've been lurking around here for some time you are aware of our general desire for plenty of... :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ChesterCamp5x9.5x6 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Well thanks Rob. I have posted several build pictures in the gallery. I think I want to assemble the frame together temporarily, to test the fit, guide alignment, and the lift. Then take it apart to add the foam. I think some areas of the roof, for instance, will get fiberglass insulation batt, in the odd place.
5 x 9.5 x 6 I.D. Foam on Frame on 5 x 8 alum Ultra-Tow trailer, eventually with a Prius TV.
ChesterCamp5x9.5x6
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lee senn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Off to a good start , looking forward to following your build. Lee and Norma
lee senn
Donating Member

Postby ChesterCamp5x9.5x6 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:59 am

Well, I'm a month and a day into my build, and I just completed a successful lift test of the scissors jack, the inner (Bottom) box, the outer (Top) box, and the Schedule 40 PVC guide system. I did it without building the door or rear wall for the Top Box, by temporarily making an 'X' brace at the back end. I decided to use PVC Pipes for the supports at each corner. One set of four is 34" long, so at Full Lift, the inside height is 72+ inches, and 17" supports will make 55+ inches ceiling height, at the First Stage lift. I expect this mid-point height will be handy on cold nights, like a conventional teardrop. In addition to the support pipes, I'm using 6 inch carriage bolts at the travel height, mid-points, and full lift spots. The carriage bolts will be around the perimeter, with torque washers on the inside, and flat washers on the outside. I will build mounting points, and drill more holes for four more carriage bolts- (the two mid-points on the long walls, the mid-point of the front wall, and at the rear door, once I build the rear door and rear wall). Then I need to disassemble the outside Top Box panels so they can get XPS foam insulation, as well as the roof, and Bottom Box. 11/32" plywood will be the ceiling, and 15/32" plywood will be the floor, on top of 1 1/2" XPS, likely framed with 2x3 floor sills. I could use some advice for the floor. There's about 10 inches overhang on the rear, past the trailer frame. I just posted a bunch of pictures in my gallery. I like to caption them right on the picture, rather than use the description form provided.
ChesterCamp5x9.5x6
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves