So many questions.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

So many questions.

Postby EffinNewGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:52 am

Hi all, EffinNewGuy (FNG) here.

Stumbled across references to this forum through Expedition Portal while researching cargo trailer conversions. We will be buying a 4Runner within the next few months to allow us to venture deeper into the mountains of NC, TN, GA, VA, and WV, and experience some of the history of the region. Eventually going West. We'll be starting with overnights and three day weekends, transitioning into longer trips. The idea for me is to find our basecamp location, drop and secure the trailer, then explore.

A part of that will require sleeping. Seeing how my wife an I both have pretty bad backs, sleeping on the ground just isn't feasible. I've considered a RTT, but I don't want to be in a tent anymore. I'm past that point in my life. So, that left campers/trailers.

The idea of towing a smaller camper (travel trailers/pop-ups, etc) onto fire service roads or off road really didn't seem appealing. Plus I don't trust the construction of them. I found overlanding squarebacks, and while they look awesome, they are stupidly expensive. Then I thought about trying to make an enclosed trailer work. Surprise surprise, it's been done before, by a lot of people. Perfect. I also discovered teardrops around that time too.

So I started looking at their photos, watching their videos, and reading their build threads. I have some ideas where I can go now.

Requirements:
-Must have air conditioning/heat (enough boondocking power to run AC/heat at night, plug into shore power, when available)
-Sleeps 2 adults, 2 children, and one medium sized dog
-Easily towable by a 4Runner
-Galley area for cooking
-Have enough suspension to be taken lightly off road (we won't be rock crawling, think light overlanding)
-Electric brakes (can be ordered with them or upgraded to have them)
-Easy to upgrade later for additional wiring, propane, and plumbing (cooktops, on demand shower)

I can pack myself into one backpack for an entire weekend, so can my 5 year old. My wife and 14 year old will learn. We'll need to carry food, water, clothing, supplies, some light chairs, and a table. The idea is to keep things simple for now, and upgrade later as time/money allows.

I'm thinking a 6x10 or 6x12 cargo trailer would be the best starting platform. I've considered a 5x8 cargo trailer, but am concerned there won't be enough space for everyone with a 2foot galley in the back end (where to stick the dog). I'm the tallest at 6'. I've also thought of building a 6x12 teardrop from the ground up (frame, etc...) similar in design to those available from bendteardrop.com, but that seems like it would take the longest, and need to be well thought out and built the right way the first time.

We can keeps things pretty basic for the first year (while I ease the wife and older child into all this). By that, I mean simple plywood platforms for sleeping, Coleman stoves for cooking, buckets for washing dishes, big water jugs, coolers and ice for food, and a small generator for electric and AC.

Here's my list of questions:
-Would a 6x10 or 6x12 be feasible for towing behind a 4runner? I'm concerned about the giant sail effect on a trailer that's taller/wider than the 4Runner.
-Could I build and finish a 6x12 teardrop for $3-4K (Including doors, windows, fans, solar, ac/heat, and power)?
-Would it be cheaper to buy a small generator to run AC/lights at night vs. securing enough battery power to last overnight?

I look forward to starting this process and hopefullly meeting/talking to some of you all in the future.

-FNG
EffinNewGuy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: So many questions.

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:07 pm

-Could I build and finish a 6x12 teardrop for $3-4K (Including doors, windows, fans, solar, ac/heat, and power)?
-Would it be cheaper to buy a small generator to run AC/lights at night vs. securing enough battery power to last overnight?

You've probably crossed your budget with all of those items --not to mention the size of camper you are considering building.

I built this for $3800 but that doesn't include outfitting it with the stuff you mentioned.

Generator at night? Most campgrounds have quiet hours.

Good luck with your build. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: So many questions.

Postby Graniterich » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:19 pm

No to ac lights and generator full time. For under a hundred you can have ten Amp battery, three led lights, solar charger with USB and small solar panel. Done it tens of times with great results. Just flip a switch for the quick light you need.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves